Some additional info I found (including butane capacity)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/9/2014 3:33:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rob79
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 92
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos34
+3 details
Some additional info I found (including butane capacity)
I just got this a couple of days ago, filled it up, and then today it was empty. Admittedly I've been playing with it quite a bit since it's pretty neat (probably 10-15 minutes total on-time), but this got me thinking about the gas capacity.

I did some searching and found some additional info about this same torch:

Material: Metal & ABS
Weight: 98g
Dimension: 165 x 23 x 18 mm
Capacity: 3.5g
Pressure inside : 0.350.05 MPA
Continuous burning time: No more than 8 minutes (not sure if this means the gas will last 8 minutes or that you should shut it off after 8 minutes and let it cool down - I got more than 8 minutes out of a full tank so I guess this is a safety thing?).

So yeah, the 3.5g capacity was the most important thing for me. Now I know that my $7 165g can of Ronson butane can fill this thing almost 50 times - that's a great value! If I was just using it off-and-on (and not melting things for fun like I have been the last couple of days LOL) a single fill (say 10 minutes total burn time) would last me weeks, so a single can of butane will last years at that rate.

All that said, if I take this thing camping for a weekend to use as a fire lighter or something I'll probably take the can of butane with me as well, but for around the house this thing not only kicks a disposable lighter's butt but is also a much better value.
#2 (permalink)      7/9/2014 3:50:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dave_Kat
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 2436
  • Reviews 116
  • Kudos2032
Got one about 2-3 months ago @Rob> Perfect for prepping Kanthol/Ribbon/SS Rope and 'snugging' micro coils. Killer value for anyone not needing a 'Blow Torch'. First few times I used it it did not last as long as I expected because it was not full. Even though I thought it was. The last time I filled it I held on valve longer that previous times and pushed harder to seal connection until it 'overflowed' onto ground outside and it is still rolling. Also, you can save time between refills by not running all the way 'open'.

Snag
Late,
#3 (permalink)      7/9/2014 3:54:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rob79
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 92
  • Reviews 11
  • Kudos34
+1 details
Yup, that's what I bought it for - making ecig coils. Super handy to have for a million little things though. Lighting a charcoal grill, charring things in the kitchen, etc, etc...

I find that to fill stuff like this (torches, jet lighters, etc) it's best to press the can in until you can hear the "hiss" of the fuel moving from the can to the device and firmly enough that none is escaping around the fill valve. Once some butane starts to squirt out around the filling stem - you're done. There is a technique to it for sure, don't press too hard, don't press too light. Doing it in a quiet room so you can hear the movement of the butane is a must IMO.