What is this thing used for?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      5/16/2015 4:45:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
empiric
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2014
  • Posts 8376
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos2153
Also used on the vaping side to oxidize the surface of stainless steel mesh wicks, to make it non-conductive.
~ Whence do you come, slayer of men, or where are you going, conqueror of space?
#22 (permalink)      6/26/2015 10:41:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
+1 details
Better late than never.
I do always get back to the questions if even not right away but not I do need one of these.

I very much liked the one that Nymzavril first mentioned but i might only use this one and wheras he worked with this stort of stuff all the time and no doubt even more, I don't, so this one will likely do the trick for me

Thanks all.

Addind it to the cart
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#23 (permalink)      6/26/2015 11:42:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Dave_Kat
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 2436
  • Reviews 116
  • Kudos2032
+1 details
I have had this model bought from here about a year+ ago and it has been very handy with 0 problems.

-Snag
#24 (permalink)      6/26/2015 11:52:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18276
+1 details
It's a really nice little unit, so maybe I just got a duff one. I used it tirelessly before it suddenly vented. I might grab another.

I like the little stand and lock arrangement, so you can set it aside burning, and free up a hand.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#25 (permalink)      6/27/2015 12:02:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
juicyjap
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 2169
  • Reviews 82
  • Kudos462
ShelaghStone wrote:

Ahhh ok.....I just heat and press the coils with tweezers/ceramic ends after firing up the coil on the mod for a second.

Ok, thanks for that then I guess i dont need one.
Been wondering about this one for weeks. Now I know I no longer need to give it any thought. Thx

:)

Forgive me if it just seemed wording was off. But I wanted to make sure you understood.
You can heat your kanthal which will make it more ridged (Blued) and easier to wrap, then after wrapping your coil hold it (closed) with tweezers or needle nose pliers, while torching it red hot.
Then just let it cool and install it.
You can adjust it with the mod and tweezers after install by heating wih the mod but not necessary if already torched when built (unless you mess it back up).
You do not torch it while in the mod.

It is a FACT that mankind hates changes. Food for thought!
#26 (permalink)      6/27/2015 5:56:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
juicyjap wrote:

ShelaghStone wrote:

Forgive me if it just seemed wording was off. But I wanted to make sure you understood.
You can heat your kanthal which will make it more ridged (Blued) and easier to wrap, then after wrapping your coil hold it (closed) with tweezers or needle nose pliers, while torching it red hot.
Then just let it cool and install it.
You can adjust it with the mod and tweezers after install by heating wih the mod but not necessary if already torched when built (unless you mess it back up).
You do not torch it while in the mod.

Thanks but no I do understand that.
But I would not put it past someone to attempt that.

I wrote the first part, a few months ago before having bought a atty I wanted to try out that requires mesh, which I could use this with now.
At the time of writing i wasnt even aware of mesh and wondered by people used this for their coils.

I have since discovered that people heat their wire first before starting to wrap them.
I never have, nor did I know to do so until recently, which may explain why it took a long tiime to make my coils look good...lol

I see that Nymzavril got in there pretty quickly as usual and answered my questions properly but only with hindsight do i understand now what he meant when he spoke of annealing the wire.
Some of the terminology for vaping takes a while to be familiar with, especially if you arent surronded by others that Vape, work in a Vape store and hear/use all the terminology, advice, etc.

Guess I am going to have to try "annealing" the wire or whatever the term is to see if that increases my coil building abilities.
They could certainly use some help, thats for sure :)

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#27 (permalink)      6/27/2015 6:03:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Maui_Dave
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 3603
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos4101
If you find you don't need this torch for vaping it's always good for this as well.

Flashlights: I put in a battery and press the button, if I can see again they work. If not I replace the battery. If that doesn't work I strip it down and turn it into a vape mod and get a new light.
#28 (permalink)      6/27/2015 6:36:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wernervn
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 626
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos717
+1 details
I have a gas powered soldering iron as backup, ..if you remove the tip on those things (hand screw) you'll end up with a nice flame for torching coils and whatnot. Takes 2 seconds
e.g.
SKU 1196005
(see 1st and 3rd pic)
and others like it.

Edited on 6/27/2015 at 6:39 AM. Reason:
squonking in the uk
#29 (permalink)      6/27/2015 8:35:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
SCFRA
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 106
  • Reviews 43
  • Kudos41
I've had this for a while ("You ordered this product on 6/12/2013.") and it's still working nicely. Used it first to oxydise SS mesh wicks. Then, following the general trend, I more or less stopped using genesis atomizers prefering kayfuns and taifuns . But I've been using the torch again since I've started twisting kanthal to make my coils. My twisted wires always come out a bit springy and I find it helps to torch them before building the coils.
#30 (permalink)      6/27/2015 8:58:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Morris68
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 5397
  • Reviews 51
  • Kudos8346
I've had one for almost a year and it still works quite well.

furcifernova mentioned:

With a little practice they work well shrinking battery wraps as well.

I stopped blow drying my hair over a decade ago. Sure glad I didn't toss my blow dryer.

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!" Robert Burns
#31 (permalink)      6/27/2015 10:18:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
wuwei.ap
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 22101
  • Reviews 266
  • Kudos42164
I haven't needed one yet, but I have it recommended too. :P

I want to experiment with ss mesh.