Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Air holes at the base....anybody drill them out?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      4/11/2014 7:42:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
River_Lizard
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos104
+1 details
Air holes at the base....anybody drill them out?
I've got a T3S and I think it draws hard and was wondering if anyone has tried to drill the air holes at the base to about twice the size of what they are? Don't care for the hard draw from this tank and if drilling the holes out will help I'll be all over that option. Anyone?
#2 (permalink)      4/14/2014 8:54:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
River_Lizard
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos104
+2 details
Not getting a reply before I drilled mine, I went ahead and drilled two holes in the coil base...what an improvement in airflow. It completely changed the draw on this tank from sucky to great!

I drilled 2 out of the 3 holes in the base using a drill press. I get so much vapor out of it now that I might just have to order several more of these units. I mean clouds of vapor. Before I had to suck my brains out to get a draw from this tank..now it's no effort at all and I get loads of vape too.

I would highly recommend to anyone that didn't like the draw on this tank to drill two of the holes out to double their original size.
#3 (permalink)      4/14/2014 9:09:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Danfour
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 285
  • Reviews 35
  • Kudos314
Nice job - how far in did you have to drill them?
#4 (permalink)      4/14/2014 9:43:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
River_Lizard
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos104
+1 details
Danfour.
I probably should have posted a photo or two but I'm at work right now (yeah...probably shouldn't be on this site right now)..

What I did was setup the drill press at work with a #54 drill bit (you won't find those at Lowe's or Home Depot) chances are a hobby store or some place like Radio shack might carry that small of a bit. Anyway I setup the drill press and only drilled to where I felt the bit go through the hole (thickness of the base wall of the Coil housing(base). Then I used an air hose to blow of the sheavings away from the unit.

I'm thinking I'll probably go through some juice with this new setup because the amount of vapor I'm getting now is a huge difference. Also I've noticed that the throat hit is a little bit more with this setup. It's not bad but there is a difference in it vs the original hit.
Also I wouldn't drill more than 2 of the 3 holes with my thought being that it would cause too much air intake and make moisture buildup in the drip tip around.

I actually should have taken a before video of me drawing from it and an after...that would prove the point beyond anything else.

NOTE: To anyone that's going to try this...drill 1 hole first, clean it up and try it out...if there's an improve that's good enough for you, don't drill any more holes but if it's not, drill the second one if you really like a lot of vapor and a touch of throat hit.

Edited on 4/14/2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      4/14/2014 12:04:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
River_Lizard
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos104
Throat hit... I'm using 60pg/40vg mix at 12mg N with a tobacco flavor. If I was rating throat hit from 1 to 10 with 10 being the strongest, I'd say this was about a 4 to me. Before it was a 0 or 1.
This mod is not for someone that wants to vape every minute...I think you'd overdose on the nicotine!
It would be like chain smoking a pack or two of cigarettes. So it reduces your vaping needs, which helps me at work especially. I can take a hit and not need to vape again for another 20-30 minutes.

Another way to look at it is, you could drop the nicotine level and vape more but at 12 my body is getting a buzz of this mod. I just got some 6 mg in so I'll have to try it with this mod adjustment and see how that does.

For a limited time (first 25 FT users) I'll make this offer for those who don't have access to a drill press. If you send me the base (without the coil)in an envelope with a return evelope inside that has return postage on it, I will drill 1 unit per customer free of charge (Sorry but US customers only).
If you like it and want more you can discuss the options with me via email. Contact me at riverlizard AT riverlizard (dot) com and in the subject line put T3S Drill hole or I won't be opening the email. And I repeat this is only for FT customers..I'm trying to give back to the FT community.
Thanks,
Jeff
#6 (permalink)      4/14/2014 1:04:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Snorkelwhacker
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 8580
  • Reviews 210
  • Kudos6859
I drilled the holes on a T3s before... It felt like sucking on a straw after that.
#7 (permalink)      4/16/2014 8:47:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
River_Lizard
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 221
  • Reviews 13
  • Kudos104
Could it be that you used a 1/4" drill bit? Just guessing... :-)
#8 (permalink)      4/16/2014 9:25:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Snorkelwhacker
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 8580
  • Reviews 210
  • Kudos6859
3x1/16

I liked it. T3s was the best and last clearo I used before leaving disposables behind.