shopping cart empty
WORLDWIDE FREE SHIPPING

Wicking
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      11/28/2017 3:53:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 108
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos12
Wicking
I really like the mod build and all, but how do you guys best wick it? Tank holes are rather small and using Scottish roll with a 2.5mm ID coil wicks poorly. I'm even considering drilling the tank holes a bit wider.

Also, as the kit didn't come with any hex screwdriver, which is the correct small tool for this from FT?

Edited on 11/28/2017 at 4:10 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      12/19/2017 2:31:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Chairman_Woo
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 46
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos62
Less is more wick wise for this kind of tank.

Scottish Roll is designed to work like a big sponge for dripping. So it will hold a lot but the actual juice flow through it isn't going to be very good.

In an RTDA in particular you are much more interested in flowrate to get the juice moving up the wicks.

2.5mm ID for the coils should be about right, but you want the wick to be as loose/thin as you can get it whilst still being snug enough to stay put.

& for superior results try Rayon instead of cotton for the wick (but getting that stuff right is a whole other artform)
#3 (permalink)      12/20/2017 1:07:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
IndrekO
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 108
  • Reviews 15
  • Kudos12
Yeah, I realized after having done 10+ builds on this.

- Rather loose wick, not Scottish roll
- 3.5 mm ID for high AWG coils, 3mm ID for lower AWG coils, otherwise it won't wick enough
- Single coil won't work - doesn't wick enough, dual coil is OK but triple coil is best

Seriously, wicking this thing is the most difficult aspect.

Best build for me so far twisted 32 AWG 3mm ID 7 wraps @ ~0.54 Ohm, vaping air holes wide open (I like airy builds). It's the only way I have been able to make this work at 40W and under (it even vapes fine at 30W). I try to avoid the high wattage builds as much as possible since I don't have a double cell mod box yet.

I hope this helps someone else as well.
#4 (permalink)      12/20/2017 1:21:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Bassett
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 1682
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos803
Cotton would do the job just fine as long as yeah, it's loose but firm. I'm reading it's good on flavor if you get it just right.
*smokebomb*
#5 (permalink)      2/11/2018 11:30:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5660
  • Reviews 77
  • Kudos3657
I just went for a lower wattage build for the single 18650 cell RSQ.

The air flow of this atomizer I prefer over my SXK TF, once adjusted it can be very smooth as a restricted lung hitter , both atomizers have been modified to squonk.

I used a 3mm mandrel with 7 wraps of .10mm X .50mm 316 SS ribbon wire spaced at about .5 to .7mm. The three coils ring out at .45 ohms and at the moment they are under TC at 46.5 watts. I used Puffs cotton cut at about 10 to 12mm wide, skins pealed and rolled lightly.

I remove the metal base of the tank section and the glass, feed the cotton up from the bottom, clip at the top of the build block and about 1mm from the top of the bottom of the tank.

The ribbon wire can use a little adjusting after the wick has been drawn through and two or three mm off the bottom for wick length would likely allow liquid to flow throughout the tank better.

Vapes very well this way

Edited on 2/11/2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: 46.5 watts Oops!
Always keep your ear to the ground!