Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Halving for higher resistance?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/23/2019 12:37:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NoeWay
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 1366
  • Reviews 66
  • Kudos1634
Halving for higher resistance?
Has anyone tried cutting these mesh strips in half lengthwise, to increase resistance (should effectively double the ohms)?

The Profile Unity RTA, has caught my attention but I am normally more comfortable vaping at around 40W - 45W with a 0.25 - 0.3 ohm build.
One of the reasons is run times on my batteries. I like longer run times, which means I don't need to faff about with recharging as often.

Running lower ohms & higher watts, will effectively mean shorter run times & I haven't found any mesh coils in my preferred ohm range.
So I'm wondering if these or maybe other mesh coils can be halved without issues & still deliver a decent vaping experience.
Or maybe I should just stick to dual coil RTAs & forget about mesh tanks...
Screwdriverian of the cult of BLUE! If you want a good screw, use BLUE! Amps do not come out of monkeys arses.
#2 (permalink)      3/23/2019 1:18:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TruckinVapor
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 3752
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5456
+1 details
Noeway, you'd have to take two of these strips and run them in series. If you wanted to double the resistance... (~0.26)

If you took 2 of these mesh strips and hookem' up parallel. You'll be half of the resistance of a single strip. (~0.06)

If you cut one strip in half and hooked it up in parallel, I'm guessing it'll be around a (~0.03) Damn near a hard short bud.
Living is the only thing worth dying for...
#3 (permalink)      3/23/2019 1:25:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TruckinVapor
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 3752
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5456
Oh and... If you cut one strip in half and run it in series. You'd be right back where you started. Lol
#4 (permalink)      3/23/2019 1:32:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NoeWay
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 1366
  • Reviews 66
  • Kudos1634
Not what I was asking.
If you cut the strip down the middle & just use 1 half, then it should be the same as running 2 in series.
Why anyone would cut a strip in half & then run it in series on the Profile RTA or RDA makes no sense LOL

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried cutting a strip in half & just used half a strip.
Screwdriverian of the cult of BLUE! If you want a good screw, use BLUE! Amps do not come out of monkeys arses.
#5 (permalink)      3/23/2019 1:43:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TruckinVapor
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 3752
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5456
NoeWay wrote:

Not what I was asking.
If you cut the strip down the middle & just use 1 half, then it should be the same as running 2 in series.
Why anyone would cut a strip in half & then run it in series on the Profile RTA or RDA makes no sense LOL

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried cutting a strip in half & just used half a strip.

Think about it...
That given resistance is based on the length and width of that mesh.
So, if you cut it in half, what do you think happens?

Edited on 3/23/2019 at 1:45 PM. Reason:
#6 (permalink)      3/23/2019 1:51:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NoeWay
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 1366
  • Reviews 66
  • Kudos1634
TruckinVapor wrote:

NoeWay wrote:
Not what I was asking.

Think about it...
That giving resistance is based on the length and width of that mesh.
So, if you cut it in half, what do you think happens?

If I have a dual coil atty & I put 2 coils in (parallel like most are) with an ohm reading of 0.2 ohm, then remove 1 of the coils, I'd expect a reading of 0.4 ohm.
So Similarly, I'd expect to see the mesh strip double in ohms when cut in half & just 1 half used.

However, that still isn't answering my question.
Specifically, I'm interested to know if anyone has tried this & if there are any issues that arise from doing it.

Edited on 3/23/2019 at 1:52 PM. Reason: typo
#7 (permalink)      3/23/2019 3:21:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ohmatic
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 192
  • Reviews 16
  • Kudos237
+2 details
TruckinVapor wrote:

NoeWay wrote:Not what I was asking.If you cut the strip down the middle & just use 1 half, then it should be the same as running 2 in series.Why anyone would cut a strip in half & then run it in series on the Profile RTA or RDA makes no sense LOLSo I'm wondering if anyone has tried cutting a strip in half & just used half a strip.Think about it...That given resistance is based on the length and width of that mesh.So, if you cut it in half, what do you think happens?

You need to think about it, the man is saying cutting it in half long ways (length the same and half the width) which should double the resistance, same as going up in gauge of wire; not cut into two half short pieces, which would half the resistance like cutting the wire into half it’s original length.
Less width= higher resistance
Less length = lower

Edited on 3/24/2019 at 9:22 PM. Reason:
#8 (permalink)      3/24/2019 7:55:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
tonypp
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2014
  • Posts 2702
  • Reviews 219
  • Kudos1747
Less metal = higher resistance. So yes, what he is saying is logical. Half the strip should equal twice the resistance.
It goes against initial logic, but that's how it works. 32g higher resistance than 26g. Because less metal.
#9 (permalink)      3/25/2019 3:16:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TruckinVapor
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 3752
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos5456
Of course... Why didn't I think of that?

Break out the hammer and beat that poor mesh into submission. Eventually it'll give "up" the resistance.

Who cares if it's disfigured for life. Instead of mesh, we'll just call it mash...;)
#10 (permalink)      3/25/2019 8:09:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lithium
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 857
  • Reviews 73
  • Kudos1040
Compressing it in a vice would thin it out? canthol A1 is quite soft, i might have to try it on wottofo profile atty.
Uk resident of rip off britain........Screwdriver agnostic and proud ;). Caseum placet mihi
#11 (permalink)      3/25/2019 10:48:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
NoeWay
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 1366
  • Reviews 66
  • Kudos1634
lithium wrote:

Compressing it in a vice would thin it out? canthol A1 is quite soft, i might have to try it on wottofo profile atty.

Possibly it would but you'd still have the same amount of metal & thus the same resistance, just that now it would be more brittle & likely not to last as long on the atty.

I would think these would be thin enough already & thin enough that a good sharp pair of scissors could easily cut them into half the width, with maybe using wire cutters on the thicker end pieces of the mesh.
Placing the strip in a vice may help make the cut more accurate but I don't see there being any other advantage to using the vice.

I would be very interested to know your results if you do try halving the strips. I would think that you'd need to run them at lower wattage, perhaps 40-50w would be optimal, rather than 60-70w.