Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Should I ...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      4/21/2021 6:06:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
New2vape
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 945
  • Reviews 41
  • Kudos1283
+1 details
Fellow Canuck here...I started squonking about 2 years ago and loving it. Winter / summer whenever. I use an old Topside (the original) with an original Bonza and not too many issues, just self inflicted (over filling)
Man some of you are crazy motherfkers
#12 (permalink)      4/21/2021 6:48:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3891
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2395
I suffered badly when I first began vaping. I remember two particular days when it seemed I couldn't get a decent vape at all, once with the original Zeus rta, then with the 30mm TFMT. I would have to put my vape near one of the two propane heaters strategically(?) placed in our shop. When I was on jobsites however I didn't have that option, so in the early days I would leave my vape in the work truck (not running), to varying degrees of success. In the mid-atlantic area where I live and work, there may be 2 months of the year that can affect vapers due to severe cold weather, so it's not Canada, I suppose, but it's a pain in the ass regardless.

Never had any issues to squonking caused by cold weather. The main problems with squonking are bottle refills on the fly, and trash finding it's way into your rda through the drip tip. All of these things are job dependent, of course, and refills and drip tip trash are pretty universal, lol.
What does he mean when he says words?
#13 (permalink)      4/21/2021 7:25:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2655
  • Reviews 35
  • Kudos4328
+1 details
The TFMT rta...... Never mentioned when people ask about 30mm rtas but still in my rotation every once in a while.

Edited on 4/21/2021 at 7:53 AM. Reason:
We can't agree on everything.
#14 (permalink)      4/21/2021 8:31:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3891
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2395
philipvdb wrote:

The TFMT rta...... Never mentioned when people ask about 30mm rtas but still in my rotation every once in a while.

I was drawn to it early because it was so much shorter than popular big rtas at the time, like Modfather and VCMT...the bottom of the TFMT rta is like a cheese grater - for your mod or your fingers lol.

Edited on 4/21/2021 at 8:33 AM. Reason:
#15 (permalink)      4/21/2021 9:31:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7642
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4476
essellar wrote:

Yeah, PG starts to thicken up pretty badly around -50... Celsius. There's no point even trying to vape if you work in a liquid nitrogen environment. If you've got a VG fetish, sure, winter's gonna be a problem. (BTW, in "square tires" weather, squonking doesn't work with high VG either.)

Well not everyone who vapes high VG has a "VG fetish" Many people can't tolerate any PG or can only tolerate maybe 20% or less.

Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#16 (permalink)      4/21/2021 9:56:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6690
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos9880
+1 details
Vg is a humectant and attracts moisture up to 18% of its mass, Which is why I always add 18% purified water to my 100% VG base.

I never get wicking issues in cold weather and in hot weather just over wick to compensate.
#17 (permalink)      4/21/2021 10:43:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3891
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2395
It doesn't have to be that damn cold (-50 C)! I've clearly and commonly experienced cold weather wicking issues in the twenties and thirties(F) Most juice sold mass market throughout the world is 70/30 or 80/20...that's just a fact. Most atties are made with that in mind, though some high end modders in Europe mainly use thinner mixes for their MTL rtas, though they often mention this in their promotional material. When a mainstream RTA is released, vapers don't immediately post asking for VG requirements, because its UNDERSTOOD what juice is to be used.

Squonking works any natural temp, as long as juice doesn't freeze, you aren't using a decade-old plastic squonk bottle, or you aren't using some "pump" system mod. If your juice can't travel through a 1/8" diameter tube, it's not cold, it's clogged!

New2vape wrote:

Fellow Canuck here...I started squonking about 2 years ago and loving it. Winter / summer whenever. I use an old Topside (the original) with an original Bonza and not too many issues, just self inflicted (over filling)

And you will never have an issue with juice wicking....good set up, and to make a point: the Topside series has a longer internal travel path for juice when compared to most squonks. It has to travel up and across to the 510, where most are simple straight shots...And I still wouldn't question it's ability in cold weather. Also, I'm leaving out "extreme temperatures" because people tend not to work/stay exposed too long at those extremes mentioned earlier! -50 celsius? Give me a break!

Edited on 4/21/2021 at 10:46 AM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      4/21/2021 10:47:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11916
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos18298
+1 details
Outside in cold winter weather 5-7 hours daily, on and off. In ravine/wetlands so extra moisture and never have an issue in the cold.
Use 70vg/30pg.
Marxism is hip fascism
#19 (permalink)      4/21/2021 12:45:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Mad_Science
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 30
  • Reviews 12
  • Kudos11
for me, any concentration of pg seriously irritates;

* nose: lining dries out and cracks.
* eyes: tears burn my eye lids.

vaping has become more pleasant since switching to 100% VG; except for cold temps ... but i digress. i have noticed many squonk mods are sold out on this site; raising the question, is squonking popular or is it being phased out?
#20 (permalink)      4/21/2021 1:03:34 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3891
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2395
Deader than disco. If you do mechs, you have Requiem and Bushido both released recently. For regulated you have the Pulse 2, and Topsides are still around. Don't know what's available here at FT currently. Any of those mentioned should be solidly built and reliable, as well as affordable. I'd choose the Pulse 2 over and over...
#21 (permalink)      5/16/2021 10:39:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
minimag03
  • JoinedApr 2018
  • Posts 22
  • Reviews 2
  • Kudos10
I wish I could wick like some of ya'll cause I always seem to have trouble with RTAs in colder weather.

I look at different weather as an opportunity to swap my gear around. RTAs are used in warmer weather. When it's cold I prefer RDAs (usually atop a squonk). Keeps stuff fresh for me :)

Squonking will always be around. They recently enjoyed a year of increased popularity tho, which gave birth to some great, affordable squonks. Buy a Pulse V2 and some quality 21700s (Molicel, Samsung, or Sony). You won't regret it. I own 3 of them (and used the heck outta the earlier versions as well)

Oh yeah, I preordered of these mods...I'm a sucker for single 21700 mods. I doubt this will replace my Odin Minis, but I'm betting it will find a place in my regular rotation.