Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+
25-pack

Are V.V coils any good? Why 6 wraps?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      7/27/2021 8:26:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
Richy7 wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
I've seen that mistake made by even relative "pros", so don't take it too hard, guys.

Adding wraps doesn't change length of a wire. Most of you are thinking of wrapping your own coils from a premade spool.

...but, instead of always trying to "gotcha!" Me, maybe it's time to just simply realize I know what I'm talking about....

If you add a wrap or take a wrap away on a premade coil retaining the same ID you will have to cut more OR less away from the legs altering the resistance !!

But do come back with more of your self righteous bullshit which i will then ignore. :))

And if you cut it, it's not the same length anymore....see? That was my point. Oh, also...How do you cut "less" of a premade coil? You cannot raise the resistance, period.

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 8:34 PM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#22 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:17:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
Crispycritters wrote:

Carefully check the specs of the 4 wrap 0.26 ohm wires against these and you will find they have totally different core wires, they both have a clapton outer wrap and made from Ni80 but it doesn't make them the same. The ohms per foot/metre is different for each wire

If you unwind a wrap the leg will become ridiculously long as you will be forced to clip a relatively long length from it or it will not fit in the tank - this WILL lower the resistance.

Don't take my word, or anyone else's - either check Steamengine, or put a coil in any tank you have, check the resistance - then remove it, unwind a wrap, re-insert and re-check. The resistance will drop because you are using a shorter length of the same resistance wire if you take a wrap off the coil

This is a pre-purchase discussion, which makes all this good info, but impertinent to this discussion. I don't even think you are a "brain donor".lol

#23 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:26:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1993
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos5141
would you agree?:

removing a turn from the coil would lower installed resistance
removing a wrap from the coil would raise resistance
you can raise the resistance of an installed coil if
you lengthen the legs remaining as when installing in a different atty
#24 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:33:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
I dont understand what a turn is, so I cant answer that, but everything else is wrong.

No. As mentioned, the resistance is determined by length of the wire. Unless the wire is cut, which will lower resistance.

There is no way to "add" wire to an existing coil, right? You can't stretch it....You just build another coil.

EDIT: For people that are confused...the shape of a piece of wire has nothing to do with resistance! It can have 100 wraps or 2 wraps, or be shaped like a star or a tree! It doesn't matter! It's the length of the wire!!!!!

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 9:42 PM. Reason:
#25 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:39:17 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1993
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos5141
I mean whether an installed coil has long or short legs
#26 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:40:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 313
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos301
carrion4worm wrote:

Crispycritters wrote:
Carefully check the specs of the 4 wrap 0.26 ohm wires against these and you will find they have totally different core wires, they both have a clapton outer wrap and made from Ni80 but it doesn't make them the same. The ohms per foot/metre is different for each wire

If you unwind a wrap the leg will become ridiculously long as you will be forced to clip a relatively long length from it or it will not fit in the tank - this WILL lower the resistance.

Don't take my word, or anyone else's - either check Steamengine, or put a coil in any tank you have, check the resistance - then remove it, unwind a wrap, re-insert and re-check. The resistance will drop because you are using a shorter length of the same resistance wire if you take a wrap off the coil
This is a pre-purchase discussion, which makes all this good info, but impertinent to this discussion. I don't even think you are a "brain donor".lol

Unfortunately the classic "carrion" statement you made in paragraph 2 of post 5 (I won't bother reiterating it because I'll probably spray coffee all over my keyboard again) is priceless, and what I was responding to

By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them larger - yes that is also possible). I'm surprised that someone with your self professed encyclopedic knowledge of all things vaping hasn't yet discovered something so obvious.

I take it you haven't checked a coilbuilding/resistance site like Steam Engine because you feel secure in your genius.

#27 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:46:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
Crispycritters wrote:

carrion4worm wrote:
Crispycritters wrote:

Unfortunately the classic "carrion" statement you made in paragraph 2 of post 5 (I won't bother reiterating it because I'll probably spray coffee all over my keyboard again) is priceless, and what I was responding to

By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them larger - yes that is also possible). I'm surprised that someone with your self professed encyclopedic knowledge of all things vaping hasn't yet discovered something so obvious.

I take it you haven't checked a coilbuilding/resistance site like Steam Engine because you feel secure in your genius.

Maybe you should post what i said...I said "simply clipping the legs usually make little difference"...which you should know is entirely correct.

#28 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:54:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
I'm guessing "classic" means "correct", lol...I'll take another win! Yeah, stretch those coils, Crispy!!!!
#29 (permalink)      7/27/2021 9:59:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1993
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos5141
carrion4worm,

how many wraps are there in this "6 wrap" picture?

look careful people will nit pick
#30 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:01:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 3898
  • Reviews 281
  • Kudos2400
You just answered. 6.

And to stop you right there....

I already told you, its the length of the wire. It doesnt matter if you think its only 5 wraps or whatever. Unless you physically cut some off that wire, it will be the same resistance, no matter the wraps.

And you cant make the resistance higher. Resistance is caused by density of metal not allowing electricity to flow through, creating heat. Adding length to the wire would make more resistance, removing it...less

Edited on 7/27/2021 at 10:05 PM. Reason:
#31 (permalink)      7/27/2021 10:04:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 1993
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos5141
+1 details
but those pictured are only 5 1/2
one leg comes from the bottom and one from the top

remember this post?

By the way - it is simple enough to raise the resistance of most pre-wound coils simply by using each leg to add an extra half wrap to each side of the coil (which can also make them longer - yes that is also possible).