[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

That's some description......
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/14/2022 1:38:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1755
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1817
+3 details
That's some description......
"Superior Build Quality: The Kroma 217 is built using only the best materials the vaping industry has to offer. The chassis is constructed from high grade Zinc alloy with a mix of brushed and chrome finish body which gives it a more rugged and modern aesthetic, resulting in an exceptionally hard-wearing device."

I must have dementia because I never would have guessed that zinc alloy is considered to be among "the best materials the vaping industry has to offer". I always thought it was inexpensive, brittle, heavy and aesthetically ugly. Casting with zinc alloy is about as cheap as it gets in the metallurgic world. It is durable however... so they probably aren't wrong about it being a hard-wearing device.
#2 (permalink)      1/14/2022 3:58:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1099
+1 details
I prefer the previous version SKU 9724426. At least it has boost and is smaller.
#3 (permalink)      1/15/2022 2:49:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
FTBuyer2013
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2019
  • Posts 45
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos38
+1 details
The 217 does not have boost ?!

I got burned by the DragX last year because I didn`t investigate it thoroughly, if this doesn`t have boost i`m not interested.

I have the Kroma-R and it`s OK apart from the weird base which isn`t quite stable on a flat surface but a 21700 would have been a nice addition.
#4 (permalink)      1/15/2022 5:10:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+1 details
Ok dumb question alert.

What exactly is boost?

Yes, I know many have talked about it here but I glossed over it.
But is it what I discovered on the Vaporesso Swag 2?
SKU 9714134

Hated that cheap mod.
Whenever my battery level came down to about 35% it started to drop power quickly.
I would end up changing batteries out and only used it at full battery power, hence never trusted it as a pocket mod outside, the only reason I bought it in the first place.

Assuming it was without this boost you all speak of?
#5 (permalink)      1/15/2022 5:36:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6946
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos10340
+1 details
Still.Me wrote:

Ok dumb question alert.

What exactly is boost?

I think it is a function that hits your coil with a pre-set higher wattage than your mod is set to, but only for a second or so to mitigate your coils ramp up time.

Some mods allow you to customise this function to better suit your vaping style.

#6 (permalink)      1/15/2022 6:59:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
+5 details
Sorry, but incorrect. A "Boost" chip allows the mod to perform beyond the 4.2 volts a battery can output. It "boosts" the power, much like a "buck" chip allows less than 4.2 volts to be used.

It's what separates regulated mods from mech mods. You are not constrained by the limits of the battery.

Now, what Richy describes is normal "boost" mode, available on many mods...it's just a preset power curve, basically, and usually is used to heat up coils a bit quicker....and a different feature altogether.

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 7:00 AM. Reason:
What does he mean when he says words?
#7 (permalink)      1/15/2022 7:29:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1099
+5 details
A single battery has 4.2 volts.

If you fire a 0.8 ohm coil at 20 watts it will need 4.0 volts.

Same coil, you vape on it at 35 watts, it will need 5.29 volts.

But, wait, if the battery has only 4.2 volts, how can we achieve 5.29 volts?

This is where boost chip enters the scene. It allows you to reach higher volts. If your mod has no boost it will still fire, but will lack in power because is limited to battery output.

By looking at the specs you can know if a mod has boost.

If voltage range is not stated in the specs, the mod probably has no boost.
#8 (permalink)      1/15/2022 7:36:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 830
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos754
+4 details
I think your confusing Boost function with Voltage Boost circuitry Ritchie. Many regulated mods will let you use a Hard, Normal or Soft variant of Wattage mode as a boost function. Hard will act as a pre-heat and provide extra wattage for the first second, Normal is just a constant stream of the wattage you have selected (in other words it does nothing lol), and in Soft it will be slightly underpowered for the same half second and ramp up slowly but gently (useful for stock coils if you want best life - DNA boards will allow you to select a variable amount of boost to preheat your coils.

Voltage boost circuitry - it allows you to vape at a constant power setting even if the battery is at a lower voltage than that required to give you the vape you want, right down to the last few hits before the battery craps out.

And all I've done is re-worded Carrion's post to give you a pop-up style description (he is 100% correct)

If you see a regulated mod without voltage function (if it has voltage boost they normally list the voltage output in the specs 1.e. 1 - 7.5V) don't buy it unless it is bargain basement cheap and you don't mind building to low ohms or like buying stock coils for the tank they paired the kit with.
#9 (permalink)      1/15/2022 7:36:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5995
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4264
+3 details
My issue is them calling a 100W mod the 217, it was a made you look situation for me.
#10 (permalink)      1/15/2022 7:38:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 830
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos754
+3 details
I was still typing when Gatok posted his reply.

Far better than my description lol.
#11 (permalink)      1/15/2022 8:01:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+3 details
Ah ok. Funnily enough when speaking of the Swag 2 it felt to me as a mech mod would at a certain point. Hence, thought that it was without this magical boost you all speak of.

Only up at 85% battery power did I feel it had real power. Rest of the time I just was unable to feel the power when vaping on it.
So guess it was just a faulty chip?!

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 8:08 AM. Reason: