[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

That's some description......
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/15/2022 8:01:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+3 details
Ah ok. Funnily enough when speaking of the Swag 2 it felt to me as a mech mod would at a certain point. Hence, thought that it was without this magical boost you all speak of.

Only up at 85% battery power did I feel it had real power. Rest of the time I just was unable to feel the power when vaping on it.
So guess it was just a faulty chip?!

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 8:08 AM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      1/15/2022 9:12:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1099
+4 details
No faulty chip but lack of boost.

#13 (permalink)      1/15/2022 9:43:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 830
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos754
+4 details
The specs of the Swag 2 list Voltage Output of up to 80W, but they make no mention of it's voltage output range, nor do they mention what resistance you must be at to achieve this 80W - so I suspect has no voltage boost circuitry.

If that is the case you are at the mercy of the battery level, if you need higher voltage to be sent to the coils than is currently in the battery to get the wattage you need you're screwed and the vape will get progressively weaker once the battery is below this level.

Bear in mind the mods board receives the voltage the battery has, and the more Voltage it has the higher power levels it is capable of providing - the board either reduces this Voltage (using a buck chip) if you have selected a lower power setting than the battery is capable of supplying, or, if you select higher than the battery has a sufficient voltage to provide it must have voltage boost circuitry to achieve this. Wattage is just a convenient method of describing the power levels (Volts x Amps)

The only way you can combat reducing power levels in a mod without a voltage boost chip is to use lower resistance builds as a lower resistance build pulls more Amps from the same Voltage level, and Volts by Amps = Watts, you can achieve higher Wattage. But you MUST use batteries with a high enough Amp rating (this applies to every vape mod).

Unfortunately this means you need to pull out your calculator and work out what resistance is needed to provide the Wattage you need when the power is getting low so it can provide this power level for the majority of the battery charge.

It sounds confusing but a mod doesn't pull Watts from the Battery or send them to the 510 - it is all down to the voltage level of the battery and the Amp rating (how much current the battery can provide safely) - if it doesn't have voltage boost circuitry.

In other words regulated mods without boost circuitry are a bit shit, with a 20C Boost Chip added to the board you wouldn't have to constantly refer to Ohms Law and adjust your builds.
#14 (permalink)      1/15/2022 10:31:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
desuede
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2015
  • Posts 2550
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos4152
+4 details
In a nutshell, boost circuitry adds step-up functionality. Buck circuitry adds step-down functionality.

Some of the previous posts have explained it accurately.

Here's also an explanation on the topic from an electronics professional: John "Mooch" Muchow.

From @ 5:14
https://youtu.be/tWdp0O95pXc?t=314

#15 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:02:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+3 details
Well then that lack of boost must be the worst idea I have come across yet in vaping.

I bought that Swag as I was very happy with the Vaporesso GEN so expected the same but in a pocket mod.

Why on earth would someone willingly buy a mod without this boost and for that matter, why on earth would a mod maker put one out with out it, assuming it only costs a few cents more to add?

What am I missing?

** goes to listen to the video posted above (LOL. Tried so not my area) 😂

Edited on 1/15/2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason:
#16 (permalink)      1/15/2022 11:21:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 830
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos754
+3 details
Still.Me wrote:

why on earth would a mod maker put one out with out it, assuming it only costs a few cents more to add?What am I missing? 😂

Profit.

when a manufacturer dumbs down the specs and just lists the potential wattage output be suspicious. They've been in the game long enough to know that Voltage output is just as important than the potential max Wattage with a low ohm build - if the omit it, they did it for a reason. And probably not a good one.

#17 (permalink)      1/15/2022 12:50:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+4 details
Crispycritters wrote:

Profit

Sorry, I should have said that was a rhetorical question as I understand that it's due to profit but one would think it would hurt various companies in the long run.

Fortunately I have the group of you to let me know if a device has boost or not but the displeasure with the Swag 2 was enough to have me think twice about buying more recent cheap Chinese mods.

#18 (permalink)      1/15/2022 2:17:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 830
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos754
+3 details
Still.Me wrote:

Crispycritters wrote:
Profit

Sorry, I should have said that was a rhetorical question as I understand that it's due to profit but one would think it would hurt various companies in the long run.

Fortunately I have the group of you to let me know if a device has boost or not but the displeasure with the Swag 2 was enough to have me think twice about buying more recent cheap Chinese mods.

I think they are using the logic that because it is cheap and small, but has an external battery and adjustable power, it will be attractive to relatively newbie vapers who are upgrading from a simple pod or stick. If they've never had a device with boost control circuitry they won't know about it or miss it. If these same newbies subsequently put a rebuildable tank on it - the miserable performance with anything but a really low ohm build may lead them to believe rebuilding isn't great and will stick with their stock coils and generate a continual stream of profit.

A crappy attitude, and in the longer term it will hurt them when people get wise, but hobbyist vapers are a small fraction of the total number, so that leaves a large number to burn for an extra 20c profit...

#19 (permalink)      1/15/2022 2:48:15 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1099
+2 details
I bought the Swag 2 just because is lightweight as a feather. I'm ok with it but only with certain builds.

4 wraps on SKU 9653076, 2.5mm ID. 0.5 ohms at 16 watts. It only asks for 2.8 volts so no need for boost. Two whole days of battery life.

But yes, is not a mod for everyone.

#20 (permalink)      1/15/2022 2:56:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12939
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19776
+1 details
Gatok wrote:

4 wraps on SKU 9653076, 2.5mm ID. 0.5 ohms at 16 watts. It only asks for 2.8 volts so no need for boost. Two whole days of battery life.

Good to know. I will try one similar as I have moved down wattage and from dual to single coil as of recently.

Short of that I will save it for my partner who is a MTL Aspire Nautilus 1.18ohm coil vaper. I was reluctant to do so assuming he would also find it annoying.
Good to know. Thanks!!

#21 (permalink)      1/15/2022 3:47:16 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1099
+1 details
I have the same issue as you, still me, when battery is 30%. But I also have noticed that it lasts as long as any other 18650 mod. I assume there's a wrong reading.