[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

Weight: 100 Gram or Weight: 141 Gram like written everywhere else?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      6/12/2022 7:38:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
This is a clone, of course, but I can tell you the authentic, in delrin and aluminum, without boro or battery, is 91 grams.
What does he mean when he says words?
#12 (permalink)      6/12/2022 7:59:00 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16535
  • Reviews 397
  • Kudos30085

The three f place also has it listed as 100g, so there may be hope :)

Airwinny, I checked just yesterday and saw 141g. (?)
Ohh wait, it was the full black one, listed lately.
So either they didn't update this info on the previous ones, or they use a very heavy coating ;-)

That means you're quite right with your notice!
Local sites here often give absolutely no specs, about dimensions, weight, material. I find it very annoying too, that's why FT was a gold mine in the past (before they started taking off discontinued items) for finding these.

Whereas for some reason vapers have convinced themselves that adding some zinc alloy to a mod must mean it's of higher quality

Well, it's never been my case. "Adding" some material, it just sounds to me like when you see a brick of Hohes-C orange juice and it's written "C-vitamin added" on the box. (what's happened to its own?? but that's already an other subject) =)
It's just that I prefer certain materials, (SS over any zinc alloy), and they have their own proper weight (rather density). And an optimal thickness in the making that insures that it wouldn't deform/ get damaged easily.
But if it's for example 'aviator aluminium', or plastic, hell yes, it shall be light! =)

Well, I indeed have been having issues with lighter gears standing outside on a table, tube mods (they roll, in addition!) or taller other shapes, in this damn windy corner of the world ;-) Of course I don't mean a telephone which is usually lying on a table.

While i can't be concerned about 40g difference here, of course if I went for a trekking, it'd be important that certain gears should weight 1 kg instead of 2 and a half and the altogether 6kg less!

Ohh if you ever still use the little Dvarws, have you seen the Vaptio Cosmic Nebula? Being plastic, it's feather weight! :) Loaded with a top fill 16mm Dvarw (more material in top cap) =), with a 1/3 tank right now, it's a bit over 70g. (haven't got a good scale)

Edit: Alright, the mod itself is 48g. Is that heavy?? (now that we are talking about a 100-141g weight, way bigger device...)

Edited on 6/12/2022 at 8:12 AM
#13 (permalink)      6/12/2022 8:05:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16535
  • Reviews 397
  • Kudos30085
If the OG is aluminium and the clone is SS, it might explain the weight difference... ;-)

Stainless steel... if it's so, I just keep loving cloners =)
#14 (permalink)      6/12/2022 8:27:17 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
cilika wrote:

If the OG is aluminium and the clone is SS, it might explain the weight difference... ;-)

Stainless steel... if it's so, I just keep loving cloners =)

No, the OG is several different materials...the first version was indeed stainless steel, they have since made revisions and changed materials and some design aspects on later batches. Unfortunately, I only have the anodized aluminum, updated version to weigh. Sorry, but it's in the ballpark, and probably not 40 grams of difference, so the 100 gram estimate is probably very close. The chipsets, which I thought may present a difference, are only 5 grams different...IF the specs are correct, and this clone indeed has the same chip as my gutted Stratum Balance, which is how I weighed the chip!

What does he mean when he says words?
#15 (permalink)      6/12/2022 8:45:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16535
  • Reviews 397
  • Kudos30085
Right, so the first versions (OG) were stainless (they seemed to be on photos/ videos but never know...) and the coloured versions are anodised aluminium. I guess, those changes on the design are for being able to swap parts more easily, is that so?
I'd love to see some versions with the coloured aluminium plates and a stainless body instead of delrin, but probably nobody would buy this idea ;-) Also maybe it wouldn't work out well for the internals. (uhh, not even to mention weight!)
#16 (permalink)      6/12/2022 9:07:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16535
  • Reviews 397
  • Kudos30085
Anyway, the measurement of 91g you gave was about the aluminium version.
So the question here is how much heavier the SS plates are v.s aluminium.
#17 (permalink)      6/12/2022 11:35:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cilika
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2013
  • Posts 16535
  • Reviews 397
  • Kudos30085
If you'd like to see a really light boro mod (88g), check out this one:

429€
Some optional plates (they look really sublime!) for a price bagatelle of 199€ !

Eventual leaking right into the chip compartment is possible! =)