[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Free shipping to the United States when you order $20+

A Re-wrap of...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      5/1/2022 1:39:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
+1 details
Recent DeWalt, and other brands under the Black & Decker flag, like Porter Cable, have been using different 18650s through the years, but mostly they've stuck to Samsung 15M, 20R, and 30Q, all depending on application and product rating.

Milwaukee Tools tend to be a bit better, with Sony VTC5 (not VTC5a) and LG HD4s.

Other companies are potluck, but the adage "you get what you pay for" applies.

Many/ Most of the newer high power/longer life packs ("{XR", etc.) are 40ts. (21700)

This isn't something the average person should attempt...knowledge of cells, safety, and de-soldering are invaluable. FYI, most packs are fastened together with 4 specialty "tamper resistant" allen head bolts/screws, so a "Security Bit" tool set will need to be purchased.

SHOWN: VTC5 pack, jumbo 15M pack
What does he mean when he says words?
#32 (permalink)      5/1/2022 5:39:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26274
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21063
Not really a budget saver busting apart Dewalt packs... They are overly expensive, the tools are worth every dime... If government should decide to regulate our cells off the market they are fair game ;)

You can pull those welded tabs off with a pair of needle nose pliers...

Edited on 5/1/2022 at 5:40 PM
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#33 (permalink)      5/1/2022 6:27:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
No, definitely not suggesting that there is value in buying battery packs to vape - they are overpriced, and removing them is hard work! We go through 8-10 packs every two years, and often with these packs it is 1 or 2 bad cells, while the rest are fine. Some I repair, some I scavenge. I see this option as something vapers in other countries perhaps could utilize, especially where vaping/ vape related products are prohibited or illegal. While pliers, or better, flush cutters can be used to pull the connection strips off, using a metal tool and "crossing the streams" (lol) between + and - can be dicey for noobs and vets alike. i have quite a few 18650s where I pulled off the tabs, but it leaves small weld remnants on the ends, which has in the past caused some issues with certain mechs and battery slots - so I just de-solder them...it's much cleaner, safer, and the practice has improved my soldering experience.
#34 (permalink)      5/1/2022 6:34:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26274
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21063
Didn't know you could de-solderer a spot weld...
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#35 (permalink)      5/1/2022 6:54:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
Vapor wrote:

Didn't know you could de-solderer a spot weld...

Yeah, it's just heat, they usually pop up easily, but that's not always the case. Most of the spot welds, however, are low quality and no actually penetration has occurred. It's comical, but sad how many of these packs I've seen quit working on the jobsite, only to later find out that a weld didn't take, and came apart at the first impact. Think of all the people that just shrug, and go buy another 200.00 pack - I hate that.

Edited on 5/1/2022 at 6:55 PM
#36 (permalink)      5/1/2022 7:40:58 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26274
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21063
Not exactly just heat... It's how the heat is applied... Very hot very fast... Not long enough to melt liners or layers... I wouldn't advise anyone to soldier directly on a cell...

I have never had a defective Dewalt pack... My small impact (See it on the concrete) jumped off the top of this while I was running some MC for lighting and survived... About it's 50th suicide attempt... It's one of the reasons I like Dewalt...
#37 (permalink)      5/2/2022 6:00:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
If I were you, I'd just do a quick look on Youtube, to learn (if you want) to safely solder cells together. It's really quite common, and not dangerous - if precautions and common sense are used.
#38 (permalink)      5/2/2022 6:19:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3018
DeWalt makes decent products, but we switched to Milwaukee. Sure, a bit more expensive, but they use better cells. Once I learned that DeWalt, and others, were, just Black & Decker products with a few cosmetic changes, it seriously messed up my opinion, lol. Not that it's true, or indicative of quality - it just totally threw me for a loop!

Once tools become "daily use", and are thrown around by employees, dropped off scissor lifts and buildings, and rained on, true quality shines through overall. I've had the best luck with Milwaukee and Makita, with DeWalt relatively close behind. People tell me I should just buy Harbor Freight brand impacts/drills (since we go through so many), and the savings will pay off in the long run, but I'm skeptical, lol.
#39 (permalink)      5/2/2022 6:53:57 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5995
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4264
Quick question on the battery packs, do you notice any better quality of cells in them? I guess that would be hard because you get them out used.

The reason I ask is I have heard vapors and other single cell buyers are actually getting the worst of the cells. The top runs get sent out to big companies, big batch buyers for use in things like tools and other applications. I can't remember where I heard that, maybe in a mooch video, but no clue really. It seems totally logical to me, because the majority of these companies don't officially support our use for the cells in the first place because of potential liability issues that could occur.
#40 (permalink)      5/2/2022 7:14:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2868
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2327
EternalSpline wrote:

The top runs get sent out to big companies, big batch buyers for use in things like tools and other applications.

Them, along with the electric car manufacturers I believe.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#41 (permalink)      5/2/2022 7:22:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26274
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21063
+1 details
carrion4worm wrote:

If I were you, I'd just do a quick look on Youtube, to learn (if you want) to safely solder cells together. It's really quite common, and not dangerous - if precautions and common sense are used.

There is no safe way... Unless the cell comes with a welded tab attached... No manufacture condones the practice... The safe way you attach something to a cell is with a weld...

Directly under the cap is the pressure relief valve... A sealing gasket for sealing the exhaust passage is fixed on the lower top... Warp it and you will have a bad day...

Can a battery be soldered? sure... Just as climbing can be done without a safety line...