shopping cart empty
[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1st, 2020 to October 8th, 2020 to celebrate the National Day Holiday and Mid-Autumn Festival. Services will resume on October 9th, 2020 (details).
Laptop/vpn help needed...
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:10:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Laptop/vpn help needed...
So butthurt kids on ps3 are still happy as fuck to boot/ddos someones network to kick them off.

Searching into vpn services, either they work off your home router or only the device its installed on. Reading up i can use my pc "as its own vpn router" to connect my ps3 or wherever else i need protection on.

Right now my issue is with the laptops "hotspot" setting and/or drivers. I updated drivers with windows 10, and also all drivers from the manufacturer lenovo, but still no luck. It creates a hotspot and devices can attempt (half the time it fails to give out an ip) to connect, once connected to the laptops hotspot it fails to provide internet to devices..... search all over for fixes and dont know what the fuck the problem is, and im not too computer savy so its frustrating...

I would get a vpn for our home router but our router dont support it and i dont want all the extra hastle for that to be setup.
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#2 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:18:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
digitally_vaporized
  • JoinedSep 2015
  • Posts 1273
  • Reviews 145
  • Kudos819
#3 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:40:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Nope :/ already ben down that road.

Sadly.

Tried all kinds of settings, updated drivers, and im not sure if its because of some other drivers causing it to fuckup or whatever the case. I dont wanna delete shit to find out i broke the laptop more...
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#4 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:42:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3955
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4260
+1 details
Start with a decent router. Since you cannot buy a decent router cheaply, make one. Go here:

https://dd-wrt.com/

Make sure your router is compatible, if it isn't, chuck it and get one that is. after loading the Linux based DDT-WRT firmware on, then configure your VPN to the router.

BTW, your router can now be used as a repeater, even a high powered network adapter. And speaking of power, depending what router you use, you can increase the power by up to 300%

Build your network upon this rock.
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#5 (permalink)      6/12/2018 10:54:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Not my house/not my router.

Im not buying a router.
#6 (permalink)      6/12/2018 11:34:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 3955
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4260
+1 details
Carry on then. Accept the status quo.
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#7 (permalink)      6/13/2018 11:05:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
+1 details
Enough search, some windows 8 patch that carried into windows 10 was apparently when and what started the issues with alot of peoples laptops not seding internet on their hotspot. No one has found a fix for windows, but connectify and other hotspot programs do work for the purpose...

I have a hotspot now with vpn(test 3 phones and someone elses laptop), but my only issue now is getting the ps3 to connect....

The laptop supports both 2.4ghz and 5ghz input/output and shows the option to change output bands when on the windows hotspot setting, but using a program they only put out whatever signal your laptop is getting internet from.... the ps3 only uses 2.4ghz and the laptop wont change from 5 to 2.4 with "online instructions" both windows and random people/forums...

One stop after another, to stop again and diagnose an issue, to stop again. :(
#8 (permalink)      6/13/2018 6:58:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Regardless of vpn, i guess im not gunna see help here about trying to get my laptop to put out a wifi hotspot with no issue.

"Buy a router" wouldnt fix the issue.

Sorry i added spam to the threads.
#9 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:12:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Cant find any info, maybe wrong search terms, on how to change your connected wifi signal to 2.4ghz from 5ghz without logging into the router (which i have no physical access to to get the host address and login info) or changing settings in the wifi driver(which mine has no option for signal)

Id take a guess its impossible :/

Find out next thursday what can be done with the router, when me and my father are both home/off work.

I hate children
#10 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:29:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1708
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1792
I second the recommendation to make your own router. You can use just about any old computer to make a robust firewall/router - it just needs a CPU with AES instructions and a 2 or 4 port network card [preferably an intel card]. I personally use a retired Dell R210ii Enterprise data server running OPNsense as my router and firewall. My VPN runs in OPNsense, so all hosts on my network are behind that single VPN connection.

For router firmware using a factory broadcom based router you can use dd-wrt or tomato. Or if you go the PC or retired server route, PFsense and OPNsense are excellent choices for router/firewall software. OPNsense is opensource if that appeals to you.

It might seem like a lot to get your head around, but there's lots of support online and the software isn't too cryptic. I recommend looking into retired enterprise data servers to use as your hardware - they're sold for cheap once they come off warranty support. A small 1U server with an older Xenon processor would be ideal and inexpensive.

Edited on 6/14/2018 at 1:40 AM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      6/13/2018 10:36:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JPBel
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 3620
  • Reviews 80
  • Kudos1955
+1 details
Denial of service can not be dealt with with ordinary consumers routers/switch given the low bandwidth available to peoples.

Succesful DoS/DDoS sttscks are attacks that saturate all the bandwidth the targets have.

Other kind of OS specific attacks can be dealt with successfully with a good router or gateway, when configured properly.