shopping cart empty
[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1st, 2020 to October 8th, 2020 to celebrate the National Day Holiday and Mid-Autumn Festival. Services will resume on October 9th, 2020 (details).
USB gigabit ethernet for Nintendo Switch / Switch Lite
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      5/11/2020 11:36:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
USB gigabit ethernet for Nintendo Switch / Switch Lite
Hi. There are various USB gigabit ethernet adapters selling on fasttech.com. None of the webpages tell the customer which chip they use. Is it possible to obtain this information? It is my understanding that USB ethernet adapters with ASIX AX88179 will work with the Switch / Switch Lite.

Can someone with experience tell me which USB gigabit ethernet adapters are compatible?
#2 (permalink)      5/12/2020 12:10:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10036
  • Reviews 257
  • Kudos6493
Any sku/link to the items you are refering to?
In a drop top Chevy with the roof wide open, my partners looking at me to see if my eyes open cause I've been drankin and I've Been smokin'
#3 (permalink)      5/12/2020 12:36:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
I amn looking at several USB gigabit ethernet adapters.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000350/9617938-usb-c-to-rj45-gigabit-ethernet-lan-converter
There are several to choose from in the drop-down list on this page.
#4 (permalink)      5/12/2020 6:15:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2416
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos946
When I bought a strange USB Ethernet adapter here, it turned out to be 100BaseT instead of 100BaseTX AND USB 1.1 only, LOL.

Edited on 5/12/2020 at 6:15 AM. Reason:
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#5 (permalink)      5/14/2020 4:18:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Thanks all. After several days of waiting on customer support (no answer) and then testing the forum for people that might have bought one, I wasted enough time: I ended up buying one on ebay. It is advertised as being compatible with Nintendo Switch.
#6 (permalink)      5/14/2020 7:39:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2416
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos946
fatbatt wrote:

on ebay. It is advertised as being compatible

That was even worse move, to be honest with you. Or at least comparable if the listing clearly and unambiguously states the compatibility, so you'll have a ground for a dispute for "item as described" matter. Good luck!

But I must recap what buying noname accessories isn't a good idea esp. with such delicate requirement as specific chipset. I'd go for brandname NIC and specific model AND specific H/W revision as listed here: https://deviwiki.com/w/index.php?search=AX88179

Edited on 5/14/2020 at 7:41 AM. Reason:
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#7 (permalink)      5/15/2020 12:58:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Anniepan
Staff
  • JoinedNov 2016
  • Posts 9694
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5195
fatbatt wrote:

Thanks all. After several days of waiting on customer support (no answer) and then testing the forum for people that might have bought one, I wasted enough time: I ended up buying one on ebay. It is advertised as being compatible with Nintendo Switch.

Hello fatbatt,

We have answered your ticket. Thank you.

#8 (permalink)      5/15/2020 11:59:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Anniepan,
It would be worthwhile for your sales to actually state which of the several)USB gigabit ethernet adapters work with a Nintendo Switch. Nintendo sold at least 53 million Switch units to date. Even if a tiny percentage of those people want to go wired, that's a big market.

pewpew wrote:

I'd go for brandname NIC and specific model AND specific H/W revision as listed here: https://deviwiki.com/w/index.php?search=AX88179

Way too much to wade through. Seller claims it works with the Switch. If it doesn't, I get my money back. No point banging my head against the wall looking for hardware revision information or considering ultra-expensive brand names (or licensed gear itself). Fasttech should offer information for those units that are Switch-compatible (if they are selling any).

Mod (Anniepan) edited on 5/16/2020 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Advertisement
#9 (permalink)      5/16/2020 2:22:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Anniepan,
I don't appreciate my post being edited for "advertisement" when I didn't advertise anything.
#10 (permalink)      5/16/2020 8:26:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2416
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos946
fatbatt wrote:

considering ultra-expensive brand names

*sigh* You shouldn't overpay for Nintendo products in the first hand if your ware planning to spoil the experience with low quality accessories...

#11 (permalink)      5/16/2020 10:06:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
fatbatt
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 61
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
pewpew, I very much like your assumptions that:
1) I will be spoiling my experience, and
2) that I will be using low-quality accessories

I have no idea where this attitude comes from (or where your abrasive attitude comes from in general). I have bought plenty of no-name brand stuff (and lesser-known Chinese brands) and most have worked flawlessly. There is nothing wrong with not using 'name brand' accessories. Nothing at all. You can hunt down big-name brands with specific hardware revisions with your local retailer if you like. I'm sure you'll get that info so easily.

Plenty of gaming stores sell unlicensed accessories for a good mark-up. Do they spoil the experience? Are they low quality? Some may be. Some may not. Many may be fine.

Your posts have been about as useful to me as not answering. It is clear to me that your only interest is telling us what you'd do rather than provide any actionable, useful info. You are not a real user or a real owner of the products I am interested in. Though thank you so much for telling us what you think or what you would do, and your 'essential' opinions of what I have done. (ie. bought from a seller that states what the chip is, and states comnpatibility with a 53-million-selling gaming device).

So, basically for giving fasttech a chance and offering feedback I am:
1) censored here on this forum by the moderator ("Advertisement")
2) answered rudely by the likes of you (again, I don't know where you got this attitude)

I look forward to getting my gigabit usb adapter & it working well with the Switch. If it doesn't, a refund will be due. You carry on. Have fun with your philosophies.