Purchasing a new computer: worth it?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/27/2022 2:06:58 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
teribgosa
  • JoinedJul 2022
  • Posts 1
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Purchasing a new computer: worth it?
I have been toying with the idea of buying myself a new MacBook Pro. I have had the same Macbook for 6 years and it is basically useless now. I need to use my computer fairly often for freelance work (I'm a graphic designer who works full time and freelances on the side). Because of the poor condition of my current computer, I am unable to do freelance - it simply runs too slow for the programs because it does not have enough RAM. And it is super old. No matter what, in the very near future it must be replaced, and it needs to be powerful.

Looking at my monthly expenses, if I rein in my budget to the most essential items (which I am disciplined enough to do if an emergency fund was my only source of 'income'), I have a savings account with money I consider to be my emergency fund for about a year's worth of expenses. I am investing in a Roth IRA. I do have student loan debts (20k). While I could use the money to pay off some of my debt, it is essential that I purchase a new computer at some point in the near future. Buying a new MacBook would reduce those savings about ~$2k, but I would still be left with around 10-11 months of savings / emergency fund money.

Is it a wise decision to purchase this new computer now? I'm not sure if it is the best move to make. Thanks in advance.
#2 (permalink)      7/27/2022 2:32:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2852
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2302
+3 details
It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#3 (permalink)      7/27/2022 6:53:57 AM US Central  
Focalecig
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedJul 2022
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Message removed by a moderator (SPAM)
#4 (permalink)      7/27/2022 6:54:50 AM US Central  
Focalecig
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedJul 2022
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos0
Message removed by a moderator (SPAM)
#5 (permalink)      7/27/2022 9:15:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 662
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos488
+1 details
Maybe not "spam" but definitely shit.
Why t F would a graphic designer not understand the need for a what is basicly an essential tool of his trade and ask a bunch of people on a Chinese selling forum.??

I managed to stay away from here for a while due to the amount of "alts" and the spam produced by them, looks like I'll need to stay away a bit longer till the humans take it back over.
Insert smart and witty comment here.....
#6 (permalink)      7/27/2022 10:15:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 824
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos746
$0.01 rebate earned+1 details
And of course the Original poster is asking one of the same two questions that are constantly asked by brand new bogus accounts.

Either an "I can't afford this, but I'm considering these options". or

"Is it worth the risk buying used, when I can buy these..."

It will be padded out with some half assed back story, just like the OP has done above, and you will see the same post appearing on any site where new members first posts aren't checked by a mod before allowing them to be visible.

If anyone responds with a reply the OP will return in a few days with a follow up posts with a link to the malware he is really trying to push. If he gets no bites at the hook, or if spam is called, he won't return to this thread. But he will invariably return at a later date with a new bogus account and the same bait question for the gullible.

This guy is no more a freelance graphic designer than I am.
#7 (permalink)      7/27/2022 10:16:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2852
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2302
+1 details
blackhack wrote:

I managed to stay away from here for a while due to the amount of "alts" and the spam produced by them, looks like I'll need to stay away a bit longer till the humans take it back over.

This is one specific Troll, who's been popping up on a daily basis for weeks now. Others here know him to be a problematic former forum member who was banned, and he's been spewing his obsessive vitriol ever since.

As for the SPAM, it's just Spammers copy & pasting original posts from legitimate forums elsewhere on the net. They're kind-of-obvious. :-)

#8 (permalink)      7/27/2022 1:42:22 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11041
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6902
I'm 50\50 on the idea it's member who was banned.... I think they are still active to a point.

Unless they are best friends, there are 3 names that have not been attacked in all the bullshit rants ect, process of elimination I believe I'm close.

Edited on 7/27/2022 at 1:46 PM. Reason:
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#9 (permalink)      7/27/2022 2:06:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6946
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos10340
+1 details
The answer to the question is an M1.

Computer turned off to a fully loaded web page - 15 seconds !!

and no annoying fan....

The answer to the other question is... Randall whizz ??

Edited on 7/27/2022 at 2:08 PM
#10 (permalink)      7/27/2022 3:23:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2852
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2302
+1 details
Richy7 wrote:

The answer to the other question is... Randall whizz ??

Yep, that's the name that's popped up from other forum users.

#11 (permalink)      7/27/2022 3:42:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DanTo
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1036
  • Reviews 225
  • Kudos802
+1 details
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/36wlzg/purchasing_a_new_computer_worth_it/