Knife modding
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      4/11/2016 2:43:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
I don't find a way to edit my post so here the last one for tonite.

I've seen your Y-Start folder and I like the looks but without a clip it's a no-go for me at the moment, even though now I'd know how to add one. Is it an original design by the way?
Somewhere I think I was reading something it would be a Rockstead model but it's more looking like one of them Russian designers (which is a good thing atm considering the Shirogorovs, Sinkevichs and others).
#32 (permalink)      4/12/2016 12:32:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
I like the look of the Real Steel T3000.
Kind of like a SRM 7046 on steroids :)

I didn't know Sanrenmu was making multitools.
The WA721 looks really nice.
The problem seem to be where to find those.
A bit of web search leads to old ebay listings.
It looks like they have different models. I came across WA621/622/721/751 however, It's pretty much impossible to find all their models since SRM doesn't have a website.
Which poses a question, with so many knife models, why don't they have a website?
Does anyone know of some kind of webpage or blog that would list all the SRM models by any chance?

On a side note, while I like the look of the WA721, the old listings seem to indicate that they sell in the $25/30 range. For around the same price, one could get a Victorinox equivalent that has been tried and true and offers lifetime warranty so I could see why they would have a hard time entering the Western market.
#33 (permalink)      4/13/2016 2:11:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
Well, i paid € 22 for the WA721 and the most important reason was the clip.
There's no nice Vic with a clip, the one I've found is really fugly more meant to be a money clip than anything else. The idea was that my wife would clip it into her bag's inner pocket because she likes to have a folding knife with her for cutting an apple for the children or so but she doesn't like (understand) locks.

Maybe I'll get an Alox one day and put a clip on it, I think the one from my Sanrenmu 4110SUX-LY would fit qite well (and it costs as much or less as an aftermarket clip without a knife and screws).
I think a two-bladed Executive would be nice for that. Or I make a cf scale for the WA721s show side (too lazy for the complicated milling for the tweezers and the clip).

And about multitools, well, after my SRM t-01 and WA721 I know that I don't really need that and I should've known after owning a locking Vic like 10 years ago. Never really needed anything but the blade ;)
#34 (permalink)      4/16/2016 10:11:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
Looks like Y-Start is making for others

Yangjiang Ystart Industrial & trading Co.,Ltd - either they have poor web designers or Chrome/AdBlockPlus/NoScript Suite Lite doesn't like the coding, I can load most of it except the main page central image.

That being the case the GIN01 ( = WRONG!! JIN01 is the correct serial#) might be an original design, a favorite of mine at the moment.
Being as I have just been stung for $17 by run wu, a vendor off that Ali site - knife detente was too strong but he came on like he checked all his stock and I was lying - I'll be buying from here for a while, or gear.

Edited on 4/18/2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: brainfart caused GIN01/JIN01 confusion.
#35 (permalink)      4/17/2016 1:54:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
+1 details
Yes, that website seems to be optimized for the Netscape Navigator of a very early version.
Anyhow, I'm somewhat glad that that Y-Start has no clip, this way I don't have to put it on my list.
And iirc it's bigger than I like edc knives, for me 19cm total length is the max, I never need more.

I could be tempted to get the small Shirogorov F3 clone but my budget is zero, so all I can do is to mod the knives I have with material I get for free.

This Enlan turned out a bit too plasticy with its blue glass fiber scales, it's actually the one from the first page of this thread :P

Enlan should make them with colorful anodized aluminum scales, I'd like that at least.

#36 (permalink)      4/18/2016 2:38:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
Adahn, you are talented indeed the blue Enlan is a good looker. I chose the blue SanRenMu 7063 as an example of the new 763s - LUC-xx for the liner locks and AUC-xx for the Axis lock versions very good Axis locks - they have always been the best the Chinese produce on the 763/7063, for me at any rate.

Top to bottom.
LB763
7063AUC-LI
7063LUC-LI
Excuse the crap photo, they are a lot more vibrant in person bright and anodized in blue, redbrick, silver, orange and I've seen a dark olive drab as well but not on here. The black aluminium LB763 has been out of production for a while, some places might still have them,

Edited on 5/29/2016 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Idiot poster, ME, wrote 762s instead of 763s
#37 (permalink)      4/19/2016 2:13:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
Thank you for the kind words. Right now I'm a bit lazy with modding, just making them for myself is a bit boring, it's much nicer when someone likes it so much that they want to have it, or they "order" it ;)
Right now I make a new handle for a co-worker's bush knife/machete. A part of it will be antler forming a natural guard but the butt must be made of teak as the antler is a bit short.

The same co-worker got a SRM 763 with g10 scales from me years ago, for me that knife's a bit small and my budget's a bit thin. I just found a knife I really like, the copy of a copy actually, the Brother 1502 which is a Navy K611 which is a copy of the Kershaw Gentleman's knife. $20 is a good price but I can't justify it atm for just another piece in the collection...
#38 (permalink)      4/20/2016 3:30:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
Talking about Brother knives, a competition site listed the one you've mentioned yesterday for $17.
They also have sales pretty often so might be worth to check it out once in a while.
They also posted the Brother 1601 which seems to be a copy of the Spydy Manix XL.
Never heard of Brother knives, are their quality any good?

On a side note, I'm liking the new Ganzos, especially the G743 (it would have made a nice auto!)
The G7391 and G741 with carbon fiber scales are also very tempting.

Edited on 4/20/2016 at 3:35 PM. Reason:
#39 (permalink)      4/20/2016 11:51:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
Yeah, thank you for the link, now it will be even harder to resist.
At least it doesn't have a clip, making it a bit easier (even though to make a clipped sheath would be interesting :P )
#40 (permalink)      5/25/2016 9:35:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
So on the weekend, I decided to attempt my first mod.

I have the Sanrenmu 7023 LUC-SA that I really like except for the tacky engraving that says "stainless steel folding knife" on the handle.

My first thought was to do a carbon fiber vinyl wrap on it.
While it looked really nice and the CF really suited well the knife, I wasn't happy with the result.
I tried to do the wrapping 3 or 4 times but every time, no matter how I did it, I wasn't able to make the wrapping being smooth on the corners and ended up always feeling the vinyl there.

So I gave up on the idea and decided to simply sand off the engravings.
5 to 10 min with 400 grit sand paper did the trick.

Then I decided to try to stonewash the scales.

And then, while I was at it, I also decided to try to acid etch the blade.

Here is what I ended up with

For it being my first mod, I'm very happy with it.
The stonewash ended up looking great.
The acid etch turned out nice as well but it's also very dependent of how skilled you are with artwork and as you can see, painting is not my forte LOL!

Still, being pretty happy with the results, I decided to then acid etch my current EDC, a Syderco Domino clone.
Here are the results

#41 (permalink)      5/29/2016 3:19:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
Good work.
Ganzos are getting my attention at the moment, Spyderco opening hole and framelock with bolsters both ends along with wood scales SKU 4886501 - I have some different wood bought for them but it's going to be a long term project.