[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Knife modding
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#41 (permalink)      5/29/2016 3:19:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
Good work.
Ganzos are getting my attention at the moment, Spyderco opening hole and framelock with bolsters both ends along with wood scales SKU 4886501 - I have some different wood bought for them but it's going to be a long term project.
#42 (permalink)      5/30/2016 12:21:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
@8steve88 I would have bought that Ganzo, too, if they just put the clip on the bolster at the butt of the knife. Tip down carry is meh :P
#43 (permalink)      6/1/2016 4:33:42 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
Adahn wrote:

@8steve88 I would have bought that Ganzo, too, if they just put the clip on the bolster at the butt of the knife. Tip down carry is meh :P

It usually isn't a good idea to advertise the fact that you are carrying a knife in the U.K. so I always take the clips off the ones that go out and about so they get lanyards, easily grabbable.

#44 (permalink)      8/6/2016 12:56:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
+3 details
#45 (permalink)      8/10/2016 4:35:00 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
Adah, I have that Enlan EL-01, it actually is Damascus steel/steel although what quality I can't say. I have a full set of EL-01s. I have collected over the years. They are definitely improving the quality. GB has the tool for that style of pivot pin in stock, there are other alternatives though,it is a very reasonable price when compared to Jackies at XDuct.

The Carbon Fibre bolsters and ? scales look stunning alongside the Damascus/Damascene blade. Very high-end for an EL-01 :) . I have a few "spare" EL-01s, the rosewood type to experiment on when I recover -pneumonia- my total tools at the moment are a pillar drill and a Ryobi/Dremel type plus a load of cutters/sanding bobbins/drills for both. Not forgetting the stack of G10/micarta/kirinite/spalted wood/Autralian wood-amazing low prices when compared to the U.S.A. sensible post and packing as well.

Thanks for posting, you can be proud of the craftsmanship that went into that one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody get this one when they were being sold on the express? Listed as Mugnum, after I saw the quality and a friend bought one and said his was the same high quality I went back to buy a couple more but they were sold out. Rare maybe?
Boker sold a version of the EL-01 called it the A-Stan. Some really nice features, like the pivot pin having a #8 Torx head in the centre of the triangle pattern pin sold in a presentation tin along with a key with a #8 Torx for the pivot and the other end a #6 Torx for the scale screws. Enlan could have learnt a lesson from that I think.
RUI is another brand, Spanish I believe - at least that's where I bought mine, the Energy series. Can be bought in the U.K. but the cost is staggering, a bit like the postage from Spain to the U.K. -Certainly puts the pain in Spain.
#46 (permalink)      8/10/2016 11:54:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
Yes, a Torx in the middle would've been cool. If it was my knife I would've used another pivot screw from my cannibalized knives but my co-worker really liked the "Mercedes-Star" so what can I do?

Well, I made a pivot tool from a brass punch that doesn't hurt the screw's steel (but at the first uses I got a lot of brass flakes though).

When I made the scales I felt that I like this knife but for edc-ing it's just too big for my needs.
I also like many of the new Ganzos, esp. the wooden handles, but there Ganzo could really learn from Enlan and skelletonize their liners. To me that's a really cool thing with the EL-01, even the locking liner is drilled with 4 holes, a drilled through scale would be cool, but not for my carry needs.

Btw, the scales are 100% carbon fiber. One layer cf, then an added bolster, a seperating line of unwoven cf, then 90 degrees turned cf so you can see what's usually the side of the cf (I made a block of cf and sawed off new sheets at 90 degrees).

I will try to take more pics, esp. of the sinked in clip - the screws were too short or the scale too thick :P) if we get sunny weather before friday when my co-worker wants to take his new toy to his holidays ;)

Darn, I really have to make myself a whitebox for photos...
#47 (permalink)      4/7/2017 2:50:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52

#48 (permalink)      4/7/2017 4:44:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
Adahn, those are superb examples. I don't usually like carbon fibre but those are very good examples of how it should be done. I'm coming round to it - I like the contour line patterns achievable using uni-directional carbon fibre. The dust is another drawback when working with it I hear. As a retired joiner I know how quickly lungs can be damaged, I have a bad reaction when using Ash but it's one of my favorite woods to work with - I just have to take care and use good masks.
The more I look at that Enlan the more I like it. A very good piece of workmanship.
I recently bought some scale blanks from a vendor on AE, Teak I think and the prices were good. I have quite a few pieces of wood and several scales of Kirinite, G10 and Micarta they come up on ebay sometimes but usually the prices are more than bought from a regular supplier.
Keep up the good work.
Steve
#49 (permalink)      4/9/2017 10:20:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
8steve88 I hope to see some of your work soon, it's always interesting to see other people's take on it.

The good thing is that I can make my scales on job on machines with exhausters and of course with a dust mask and safety goggles on. Polishing works well for me in the sink with some pouring water but the Spyderco was polished dry using MicroMesh up to 12.000 grit.

The polished carbon fiber is suprisingly tough. Of course it doesn't like drops on concrete but it scratches much less than I thought. The blue Enlan got a deep scratch though but I think I just leave it as is.

Why Enlan had to make that clip so high riding is beyond me, it's one reason why I don't carry it that much,
on the other hand it's a good knife to lean out, I wouldn't mind if it gets damaged a bit.

Soon I have to finish a 4yo project, scales for a switchblade, then i want to make some leather handles and at least I want to use a cf similar to this but with a more even pattern for my SRM Land 910 Plus.
Maybe I can even turn it into a single liner knife if I find/make a matching washer for the ball bearings.

If I'll do those scale they won't be finished before Oct I assume...
#50 (permalink)      4/10/2017 3:33:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos274
Adahn - "If I'll do those scale they won't be finished before Oct I assume..." playing it safe eh! No mention of the year. :)

I have a looong term project, the first Enlan EL-01 that I bought, it was a part serrated model and I don't like serrations much so I have removed them.

I started this ages ago - trying for a recurve, I'll get it done eventually - just not soon, I have some scales picked out

Or maybe

I have a couple of boxes of scale materials one plastics and the other wood, I bought some samples of laminated flooring 2pcs of 150mmx300mm per pack for £1 per package, the Bamboo is great, solid, stabilized and unusual -

Some of the flooring is just a veneer over a fibreboard core but you can tell from the pics which are solid and worth buying, works out at at least three sets of scales for £1, oak and bamboo but they were selling teak and mahogany plus a few others so keep a look out on ebay for the flooring sellers. :)

There was a scale maker posted on British Blades Forum a while ago by the name of suingab came from Lithuania, the scales were absolutely stunning and worth a look at.
EDIT Removed link to British Blades in favour of a direct link =
Custom Scales
I have nothing to do with the seller - just some stunning work that I have seen and think warrants a looking at.

Edited on 4/10/2017 at 3:44 PM. Reason: Yes
#51 (permalink)      4/10/2017 11:51:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Adahn
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 98
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos52
I know suingab's work already and looking at his stuff nearly makes me want to quit doing scales, it's just like, c'mon, I could never do anything like that :P

Your flooring material is looking interesting indeed but for bamboo even the cutting boards are suitable.
For cutting boards they are not that good actually because bamboo contains a lot of minerals wich dull a blade quite quickly. It doesn't have to be stabilized neither for scales but that two-color look is looking great for sure.

Right now I don't have to buy any material though, I use what I have, find or get for free.
Those scales were made for a co-worker's brother who's working at a zoo, we'll see if that'll get me some stuff to play with. First I want to finish a 4yo project, scales for a switchblade from the ~70s or so.

Intergral handle but same as the blade not stainless and the blade is pinned into the mechanism.
I'd love to get a copy in stainless steel and with a chance to disassemble it, maybe the chinese must see it first ;)