Essential Knife Skills
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#31 (permalink)      6/30/2015 11:26:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JpKrHk
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 13780
  • Reviews 7
  • Kudos43875
+1 details
bdpf79 wrote:

JpKrHk, I'll have a look at the Jap waterstone as well

I just wanted to bring attention to the word "pierre à aiguiser", so it is italicized.

Probably a bad translation on my part, as usual i would say.

#32 (permalink)      6/30/2015 11:42:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
JpKrHk wrote:

I just wanted to bring attention to the word "pierre à aiguiser", so it is italicized.

Probably a bad translation on my part, as usual i would say.

Nah, it's just called a Japanese Waterstone in English as that is all you would use with it and it sounds fancier. Whetstone is typically associated with stones that are usually lubricated with oil, like Arkansas whetstones. The waterstones are still technically whetstones by definition though, we're just dumb and needed to differentiate the two apparently. lol

Your translation is perfectly fine. :)

#33 (permalink)      6/30/2015 11:42:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Inkitatus
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 6808
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos6853
I use Welsh "dragon's tongue" (slate) for sharpening my razors & it gives a great shave- strop on brown paper or newspaper & a good hone lasts me weeks..been using this method for two & a half years,it works splendidly- the jap whetstone is hype IMO,a good technique can make or break a blade! (As much as the quality of the steel)
Coincidentally I've been using VG to shave with for longer than I've been inhaling it ;-P (lol,remember thinking it was really odd folk vaped what I shaved with!!)
https://www.instagram.com/inkitatus/
#34 (permalink)      6/30/2015 12:07:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
Inkitatus wrote:

the jap whetstone is hype IMO,a good technique can make or break a blade! (As much as the quality of the steel)

Japanese waterstones aren't hype because of how they work, but technique is the most important thing even over steel quality. I can get a shaving sharp edge with a cinderblock and red clay brick... or an upturned coffee cup... and I have the steel marks on a coffee cup to prove it. lol Steel quality has more to do with how sharp it will get and how long it will keep it though.

So while a Japanese waterstone isn't needed, they are certainly nice if you want a seriously refined edge without a lot of work.

Edit: Oh, and stropping is quite possibly the best way to maintain a sharp edge.

Edited on 6/30/2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason:
#35 (permalink)      6/30/2015 12:26:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Inkitatus
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 6808
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos6853
Secret ingredient for an easy stropping is Chromium Dioxide,green powdery substance often used as pigment in paint. TBH I've never used Japanese whetstone,I figure if my razors are sharp enough to shave with that'll work..I'm no Japanese sushi knife user (tho I love sushi) so my blades are sharp enough for my humble needs..yeah,I can totally see how a tea cup bottom would work,cool!
I strop far more than I hone,but razors have an easy life really I s'poze.
The point i was trying to make was The answer to getting any blade sharp ain't a miracle sharpening stone,its practice,practice,practice..illustrated far better by DefMunky & the cup. Kudos mate ;-)
#36 (permalink)      6/30/2015 12:47:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
A decent strop can also be made with cardboard and liquid metal polish like Brasso. Let the polish dry into a powder and strop away. Works REALLY well.

I collect Japanese kitchen knives. Really those are the only blades I have seen that truly benefit from the waterstones. Until I started accumulating those a 600 grit Smith's diamond stone and my strops were all I needed. The Japanese stuff is so hard the diamond stones leave more of a "jagged" edge that strops won't get out. It's like they NEED the refinement of a stone (Arkansas whetstones do work, btw. lol) and the waterstones leave a finish like no other stone. That also really only applies to the Shirogami/White #1 stuff I have... the handmade blades. The VG-10, 12c27, and 19c27 don't really care. Neither do my pocket knives. lol

I use old leather belts I buy at the thrift store and metal polish sticks from Lowes to make strops. I draw on the belt with the polish like a crayon and use mineral oil to work it into the belt's grain.

I also bought one of these for a couple of bucks at a hardware/home improvement store:

I cut it in the middle and made two four sided strops with ready made handles.
#37 (permalink)      6/30/2015 12:48:23 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21541
In a past life as a woodworker I collected a fine set of Japanese stones and with practice could razor sharpen and mirror finish chisels with ease but hand me a knife and I will literally butcher it. I have watched vids of about every "master" sharpener and over the years a good friend, who is an expert, has tried and tried to coach me until he just finally gave up and told me to just go get a WSKTS. I haven't though so my knives are still dull.

Edited on 6/30/2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason:
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#38 (permalink)      6/30/2015 12:57:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

In a past life as a woodworker I collected a fine set of Japanese stones and with practice could razor sharpen and mirror finish chisels with ease but hand me a knife and I will literally butcher it. I have watched vids of about every "master" sharpener and over the years a good friend, who is an expert, has tried and tried to coach me until he just finally gave up and told me to just go get a WSKTS. I haven't though so my knives are still dull.

LOL! I think most people get caught up in the angle with which they sharpen, and not consistency. You have to work on your consistency first and get that down and THEN worry about the angle. If you can't hold a consistent angle you're blade will never be sharp. Chisels are easy as they have a built in angle guide. You'd probably have an easier time with a "scandi" ground knife or some other zero grind.

When hand sharpening, learning to lock your wrists at a single angle is key. You can even hold your arms still (locking wrists, shoulders, and elbows) and use the rest of your body to move the blade. Whatever it takes to keep it from floating up and down. Or you could get a Wicked Sharp or Edge Pro and let them do it for you. :p

#39 (permalink)      6/30/2015 1:19:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21541

Or you could get a Wicked Sharp or Edge Pro and let them do it for you. :p

Holy S**T Batman......that really does have me lol. I'll just try again to hand sharpen for that price....although I did spend that on just 2 Japanese stones of the 4 I had.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#40 (permalink)      6/30/2015 1:24:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
vape8ion wrote:

Holy S**T Batman......that really does have me lol. I'll just try again to hand sharpen for that price....although I did spend that on just 2 Japanese stones of the 4 I had.

They also have expensive Japanese stones for both of those expensive systems as well. lol

#41 (permalink)      6/30/2015 2:05:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Inkitatus
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 6808
  • Reviews 179
  • Kudos6853
Lol,hadn't heard of those before!
TBH all the tech stuff about Jap blades went over my head DefMunky,but I found it interesting nonetheless - I agree about the metal polish,that works a treat! I've sacrificed a few leather belts myself,but never got as good a finish as I have with plain old brown paper or news paper,so I stick to what I know works for me as it's a purely functional blade & I strongly dislike cutting myself while shaving..
Tho I do have a pre- Napoleonic razor that I use for special occasions (first dates,Xmas etc) that I cosset & look after "by the book"

Must admit,your sushi knives sound lovely :-)