Need help from butterfly knife experts
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      6/21/2015 2:30:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+3 details
Need help from butterfly knife experts
Hey folks,

This is not FT related but I need help from the balisong connoisseurs.

Here's the story.
So a couple of weeks ago, my wife had to go to the states. Since butterfly knives are not available for purchase here in Canada and I didn't want risking shipping one here and get ceased by customs, I decided to get it shipped to a family member in the US and my wife bringing it home.
The knife itself is a cheap knife so I wasn't expecting amazing quality but I just liked the look of it.
When I first opened it, I noticed that the lock had a lot of pressure as it was hard to open.
I quickly understood why when I tried to close it but couldn't. The knife had been forced to close.
There is really no point in contacting the seller as best case scenario, he would ask me to return the knife for a refund, which is not really doable nor worth it so I'm kind of stuck with it.

Here are a few pics.

As you can see, one side closes fine but the side with the lock doesn't.

I see nothing blocking the blade. I suspect that the grooves that rest against the pin are not deep enough or not aligned properly, therefore hitting the pin before the blade can be closed.

Any other ideas on what could be happening or suggestions on how to fix it (other than trying to dremel the grooves)?
#2 (permalink)      6/21/2015 2:38:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11019
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6888
+3 details
From what it sounds like, that IS your ONLY fix for it.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#3 (permalink)      6/21/2015 5:07:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2189
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1456
+2 details
Different strokes for different folks but personally I don't like using power tools to fine tune something.

Not like its a collector item benchmade or something. My only worry it being a "cheap" knife is if the handles are chrome plated brass. If thats the case you are gonna have a ugly gold notch. Won't hurt the function but that would bother me.

Edited on 6/21/2015 at 5:09 PM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#4 (permalink)      6/22/2015 8:33:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+2 details
Thanks for the replies.
I was "hoping" that the problem would have been somewhere else and that I wouldn't have to touch the finish of the knife.
Good point about maybe being chrome brass, I didn't even think of that. That would suck even more.
#5 (permalink)      6/26/2015 8:27:36 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+1 details
OK, so the good news is that it wasn't brass and now I can close the knife.
The bad news is that as I was filling, I kept on going deeper when I should have gone towards the side.
By the time I realized it, it was a bit late so now I can see a small gap and also there is no longer any pressure on the blade so the latch is not holding the knife closed.
I could try to put an o-ring maybe so the side of the latch would have friction against the handle or maybe I'll remove the latch all together.
#6 (permalink)      6/26/2015 8:46:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
JoeVan
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 8084
  • Reviews 114
  • Kudos10454
+4 details
Found your expert:

Joke's on you, this isn't actually a raffle.
#7 (permalink)      8/10/2015 12:38:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LAZZZERS
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 42
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos9
Most balisongs, especially with T-latch, are made to only be opened/closed if you squeeze the handles a bit and then engage/disengage the T-Latch. My benchmade 42 is like this. This is so that when the latch is engaged in the opened or closed position that the latch doesn't simply slip loose. Sorta like a functional friction lock holding the latch in place. If you couldn't even squeeze the handles together to engage the latch, something was wrong. Of you filed the handles and the latch is loose now and doesn't stay engaged in the open and closed positions, you probably messed it up lololol. You really don't want that thing opening on you in your pocket. That's why they're made to only open if you apply pressure and squeeze the handles in the open and closed positions.
#8 (permalink)      8/10/2015 6:55:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
Thanks, I didn't know that. Good to know.
Regardless, I think something was wrong with this one, bad tolerances, as I had to squeeze it very hard to be able to close it. Maybe it was supposed to be like that but that was strange.
Maybe I did mess it up LOL!
In any case, that's not a knife that I carry so I'm not worried of it opening in my pocket.
#9 (permalink)      8/12/2015 8:34:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
WYCheung
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
What you describe with your bali is normal
After a while of usage the tang cups with wear in and latching/unlatching will become easier
How quick this happens depends on the steel used for the handles ... cheap steel will wear faster

BTW I have a us$600 custom made bali that does the exact same when latching/unlatching
#10 (permalink)      8/12/2015 9:30:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
Good to know, that way I won't screw up the next one, LOL, thanks.
#11 (permalink)      8/13/2015 11:21:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
WYCheung
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 6
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2
+1 details
You do know to loctite the pivot screws ?
Stops them from flying off ;)
Use blue loctite which is medium hold