This is gonna be a long post.

Get some quality stones and forget about the guided systems, jigs, etc. Get a few cheapo knives and practice your freehand technique and it won't be long before you are getting hair popping sharp blades. Once you get a feel for it you'll never forget, just like riding a bicycle.

One day many years ago I got really tired of trying to cut things with dull knives. Every knife in the house was useless, so I went out and bought one of those Lansky things. It worked well enough to get things sharp, but it was a big pain in the dick. I hated the clamps and rods and all that, and if I removed the blade and put it back in, or if it accidently shifted, the angle was slightly different and I was basically grinding a whole new bevel every time I sharpened. In order to avoid this everything needed to be set up exactly the same every time, something I found to be almost impossible. That, combined with the fact that the whole thing was a big bulky system with multiple parts, made me go out and get some proper stones.

With stones and a bit of technique (really just holding my hand steady)I can quickly touch up an edge, or completely reset a bevel, at any angle, no matter the length of the blade. This is because I'm not restricted to this angle or that angle like I would be with a guided system. I don't need to completely regrind an edge because I can match the edge perfectly, no matter what the current angle happens to be.

People worry too much about the exact angle, which isn't as important as keeping the same angle as you sharpen. A simple way to find the correct angle (assuming you want to keep the angle the edge is currently set at) is to practice on a piece of wood. Lay the blade flat on a flat block of wood and pull (or push), edge leading, while slowly rocking the blade toward the edge. When the edge catches the wood, you've found the correct angle. Practice keeping a steady hand and move from your shoulders. Muscle memory will allow you to transfer that angle to the stones.

I mostly use DMT diamond stones. They are expensive but very high quality, and they will last many years. They cut fast and they cut everything. After the diamonds I go to a super fine white ceramic stone, then strop on leather loaded with green compound, then on bare leather.

TLDR: Jigs are like training wheels, and they won't help you develop proper technique. Learn freehand sharpening and you'll be able to sharpen anything, anywhere. If you understand how to sharpen freehand you can sharpen your knife in the middle of the woods, on a rock. You won't be dependent of fancy contraptions and you won't need to send your knife half way across the world to have the factory put a sub-par edge on your knife once it gets dull. Eventually you'll enjoy sharpening. I find it very relaxing, almost meditative.