Legal carry in SO. CALI ?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/23/2015 1:37:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
Legal carry in SO. CALI ?
Thank you, for any help from anyone with knowledge. Does anyone know if this knife meets legal concealed carry law in Southern California (Not L.A. county) ? I've tried getting to the answer to my question by reading laws/ opinions and watching reviews on this type of knife but , want an extra layer of check/assurance before purchasing a knife for my emergency bag. This one seems to be an "Assisted open" type knife and not considered a switch blade ? I think, also that the blade length is legally concealed in Southern California, being under 4 inches ? And it seems it would meet the "Detention" requirement?

SKU 1515601

If not, any suggestions by anyone "In the know" on a good survival knife here that would be legal ?

Much thanks!
"Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!”
#2 (permalink)      8/24/2015 8:05:37 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
+3 details
These Ganzo models are not assisted opening or switchblades.
They use the Axis lock system as used by Benchmade. They are opened by a thumbstud of releasing the lock and letting the blade swing free, it would require further input from a flick of the wrist to open fully.
There are no springs assisting opening.
If this doesn't answer the question then I'm sure there will be SO.CAL residents along to answer.
Failing that you could try Benchmade, looking at the site here or emailing them, if the Benchmade Axis lock is legal for you then these Ganzos are.
Some Ganzo models, the GANZO G719, G7211 and G7212 are switchblades.
Hope this helps, it can be confusing as hell with the different interpretations of knife law.
#3 (permalink)      8/24/2015 8:13:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
VapeVixen
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 647
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos293
+1 details
Thank you VERY much Steve! The info and your suggestions are very helpful. ;)
"Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!”
#4 (permalink)      8/24/2015 8:24:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
Don't Cali legal knives have to be under 3"? On the plus side, that includes balis and autos though, or so I thought.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#5 (permalink)      8/24/2015 8:27:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
My occaisional GF is an LA girl, and she carries one of these - totally legal due to the blade length. She has an ickle auto as well, but I can't recall who it's made by - Schrade or S&W maybe?

Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#6 (permalink)      8/24/2015 10:13:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21541
+1 details
Nymzavril wrote:

Don't Cali legal knives have to be under 3"? On the plus side, that includes balis and autos though, or so I thought.

Yep, 3" is the rule in cali....all carry knives incl. auto and bali. So, the above pictured, (not your GFs Nymz), is "illegal" carry.

P.S. to the OP.....SoCal....NorCal....AnywhereCal its 3 inches period.

Edited on 8/24/2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason:
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#7 (permalink)      8/24/2015 5:03:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
+1 details
Sorry VapeVixen, didn't realise about the 3" limit, same in the U.K. but we can't even carry a locking knife without "good cause" so I feel your pain.

If you like the Axis style of lock then the SanRenMu 7063AUC-xx range like SKU 1824100 might be an option, about 2½" blade length and a lot lighter, better Axis lock than Ganzo as well in my opinion, not as heavy on the spring. Aluminium handles though not G10.
In fact if it's under 3" that you need then a lot of the choices in the budget section will be SanRenMu of one sort or another. They make a lot of very good quality knives in that class.
#8 (permalink)      8/24/2015 5:14:14 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
Meh, I'm in the UK, and have tried to be 'all legal an' shit', but just can't do it. Sadly our laws engender a sort of 'may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb' mentality, so I carry whatever the hell I think best suits my needs. Admittedly that's normally a Kershaw Needs Work, Fairbain Applegate, or Spyderco Meercat - which aren't hugely offensive. I always find it hilarious that my Meercat with its one and a bit inch blade is illegal because it locks, but the cut throat razor I keep in my bag isn't. The world's gone fuggin' mad.

I did buy a CRKT Liong Mah #6 recently, which is as near as I've got to a decent UK legal, but I can't trust a non locking blade purely on the basis of safety. Ironically my most used knife around the house is an OTF auto, purely because it's so damned safe. I have a lovely horn handled Laguile that's the perfect non offensive gentleman's knife, but it's 3 1/2" and locks. I have a really nice Higo no kami, but whilst it doesn't lock, it's got a 3 1/8" blade.
#9 (permalink)      8/24/2015 5:15:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
OK, the Fairbain Applegate is pretty fucking offensive - my bad.
#10 (permalink)      8/24/2015 5:16:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+2 details
Fuck it, I'm just going to carry my Spyderco Civilian. Fuk da poliz! Lol

Edited on 8/24/2015 at 5:17 PM. Reason:
#11 (permalink)      8/24/2015 5:27:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jeggedda
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 5231
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos5987
+2 details
There is no 3" max law in California. On school grounds you can only carry a knife of max 2.5 inches.

Except hidden daggers, belt knives, lipstick/hidden/concealed knives, and the above pictured butterfly knives you can open carry just about anything. I have a bowie knife that is completely legal to carry on my belt.

Read here

Edited on 8/24/2015 at 5:31 PM. Reason:
" The next time you have a thought... let it go. " - Ron White