[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Knife bargains ? Post here
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      2/22/2016 6:07:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50868
+1 details
Andy.lion wrote:

Pssst....hey...don't look now but the troll threads are sinking to the bottom of the page !

Don't mention the war!

“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd
#22 (permalink)      2/22/2016 6:14:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ultramagnetic
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 496
  • Reviews 84
  • Kudos1241
+3 details
Andy.lion wrote:

Yeah, I can hear the conversation right now, "So you spent £100 on a Chinese knife?""No, I spent £100 on 13 Chinese knives""Give me your joint account debit card now or I will use all of them on you"

Lol, but that's how these things start mate. A year ago I had zero interest in knives, last week I blew nearly £200 on a couple of Wusthofs. I don't even cook that much. Filthy consumerism working its' arcane magic...

#23 (permalink)      2/22/2016 6:14:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
+3 details
This won't be for everyone. I like big belly stout knives for push carving on a specific job I do. If you like the boker pipsqueak you'll like this SKU 1646100.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#24 (permalink)      2/22/2016 6:25:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12085
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32127
+3 details
gph61 wrote:

This won't be for everyone. I like big belly stout knives for push carving on a specific job I do. If you like the boker pipsqueak you'll like this SKU 1646100.

EEEK! Bagged..."No darling, I said fourteen not four....put that down please....no, god NOOOO!

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#25 (permalink)      2/22/2016 8:06:33 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21594
+3 details
SKU 2629500 and SKU 1572201

I use the Ganzo in the house but the Enlan Bee has seen a year of service in the barn where I really use this tool. Its sturdy enough to pry with and takes an edge. I have, since I purchased these, moved my knife purchases to another site which offers better quality albeit for a higher price.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#26 (permalink)      2/22/2016 8:55:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+3 details
Andy.lion wrote:

Hmm, very similar to SKU 1605700 but at nearly half the price....

It's the exact same knife except it doesn't have the Real Steel logo on it. Real Steel is essentially SRM's export division from what I can find. SRM is supposed to be domestic sales to China, which is why they started doing slip joints and smaller bladed knives, not so much larger ones due to China's knife laws. If you notice, the one I linked to also doesn't have an SRM logo, supposedly because it isn't legal in China. At least that is what I gathered from a bit of investigation on the internet. Also if you have a look at Real Steel you will see a LOT of familiar knives that are easily matched to the SRM "equivalent" which is usually smaller. Ganzo and Enlan are both exporters which is why their offerings are larger and have locks on the larger blades as well. I don't think they sell their stuff domestically like SRM, or if they do it is under a different name possibly and smaller offerings. The reason we westerners can buy the SRM stuff is third party exporters, not SRM directly like Real Steel or Ganzo and Enlan which I think also might be direct. I've also seen some evidence that they are all three different companies and not just different divisions of the same one as some people seem to believe.

I could also be full of crap, but from what I can find online it seems to be accurate. If nothing else I found it interesting and killed a LOT of time hunting down info. lol

#27 (permalink)      2/22/2016 9:12:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+2 details
Maybe cheating a bit as I don't own one, but I've had my eye on SKU 2094103 (tan) and SKU 1822202 (black). Same knives but different colors. They're slip joints, but under normal use that shouldn't be an issue. Both my grandfathers had slipjoint pocket knives and they managed to keep their fingers just fine. ;)

Overall they look nice and I like the design, not to mention the price and apparently a hole that can potentially be used to make it a fixed blade of sorts. I guess if you were going to use it hard you could snap a carbiner in there and go to town. lol

I also second the Enlan L01MCT. It's nicer looking than the pictures and I wore mine to my Dad and Stepmom's wedding last year. Went well with my black slacks and maroon shirt. lol ;) Right now it's my EDC until I straighten the clip on my other knife.
#28 (permalink)      2/23/2016 12:38:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+1 details
One that for which I wasn't expecting much was SKU 1549904 and was extremely and pleasantly surprised.
Extremely well built, centered, sharp, elegant, 79mm yet feels much smaller than that, flicks extremely well, all out of the box, nothing to do to it.
This and the SRM 7010 are my favorites smaller folders.
By the time I got this one, I wanted to get the Blazer for my tool bag but it got discontinued.
To bad I'm not a huge fan of the style of the other Harnds.

Edited on 2/23/2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason:
#29 (permalink)      2/23/2016 12:47:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
That's like a Kerhsaw Oso Sweet with the handle and clip design. I have one of the original runs when they had the full flat grind on the blade. I didn't like the grind they put on the later ones. I like the blade Harnds put on theirs though.

I have SKU 1824000. While it is over $20 it is an absolute monster. Like I said in my review though it is almost cartoonishly large. Like a massive sharpened folding crowbar with liners thicker than some other knives' blades. lol While I have no use for it, it is most certainly worth the money, no question about it. Gives a nice solid thunk when flicked open. lol
#30 (permalink)      2/23/2016 12:52:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12085
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32127
+1 details
vape8ion wrote:

SKU 2629500 and SKU 1572201

I use the Ganzo in the house but the Enlan Bee has seen a year of service in the barn where I really use this tool. Its sturdy enough to pry with and takes an edge. I have, since I purchased these, moved my knife purchases to another site which offers better quality albeit for a higher price.

And the other place would be.....?

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#31 (permalink)      2/23/2016 12:55:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50868
^^^good question. Japan? That's where I buy my kitchen knifes from time to time.

Edited on 2/23/2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason:
“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd