[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
Knife bargains ? Post here
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#41 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:25:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21594
+1 details
@DefMunky,
I really fall for the traditional handle in Japanese knives. My cheapest knife from there, like $45, is better than the best German knives I used to buy in another life.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#42 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:26:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
XxRingoxX
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 3371
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos4591
DefMunky wrote:

So yeah, I LOVE Japanese kitchen knives... they just aren't under $20... lol

Agreed. Love my Shun's.

#43 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:27:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
I'll be getting my first "good" kitchen knife in a couple of months.
Got it from this start up company on KickStarter
I hope it will live up to the expectations.
#44 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:33:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
That Tojiro DP is a clad VG10 like a Shun but costs about $40 less. Not as pretty but has the same performance and steel. ;)

vape8ion wrote:

@DefMunky,
I really fall for the traditional handle in Japanese knives. My cheapest knife from there, like $45, is better than the best German knives I used to buy in another life.

The funny thing is that the knife makers don't make or put much stock in the handle like western makers do. They're made as cheaply as possible (usually) and are intended to be easily replaced. Strength isn't a concern for the most part as you won't be chopping down trees with them as western knife makers apparently feel you should be doing. lol

Even Japanese makers' western style handles (wa handles, Japanese style are yo handles) are better than most western handles, as their bolsters don't make the heel of the knife useless in the name of strength.

#45 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:36:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21594
I'd rather pay for the blade than the handle anyhow. For me its about utility not bling so I appreciate a simple handle and a stellar blade.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#46 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:40:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
+1 details
bdpf79 wrote:

I'll be getting my first "good" kitchen knife in a couple of months.
Got it from this start up company on KickStarter
I hope it will live up to the expectations.

Doesn't look bad. Reminds me of the Tojiro DP line and the Fujiwara FKM series. If it performs like those it will certainly be worth the money.

See FT? There is an interest in STEEL kitchen knives! :p lol

#47 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:41:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
vape8ion wrote:

I'd rather pay for the blade than the handle anyhow. For me its about utility not bling so I appreciate a simple handle and a stellar blade.

Which is totally the Japanese way of thinking. lol

"You'd think for the price they'd have a better handle..."

"I didn't pay for the handle..."

;)

#48 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:44:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moosgummi
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2014
  • Posts 15349
  • Reviews 184
  • Kudos50868
vape8ion wrote:

@DefMunky,

You are right about that. Especially the big German knife factories are overhyped. The only two German knives I still use in my (amateur-)kitchen are a bread knive from Herder and a boning knife from Dick (yes, lol). The rest is Japanese apart from a cheap, but easy to sharp, Chinese cleaver.

I played tour guide for some Korean friends last year in Hamburg. They all insisted to go to a WMF shop to buy knives. Germans would buy tableware there, but not "serious" chef knives. The shop had employees speaking Japanese and Chinese to help the many tourists. Business must be booming...

“You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections.” Elwood P. Dowd
#49 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:55:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
Meh, I went back to find a nice little gentleman's knife but it is discontinued...

SKU 1557103 is very similar in feel to the Kershaw Skyline, one of my favorite EDC knives ever. It looks a bit plainer and... squarer... than the Skyline but it is pretty much the same class of knife in its size, weight, and utility. It even has nice G10 handles. Kind of a shame they discontinued it. It was a nice, non-intimidating knife that co-workers in an office wouldn't think twice about if it were used to open a box. Although it is kinda fun to pull out a full on blacked out tactical knife with spring assist and a black tanto style blade to open a box as well. Co-workers then give you a little wider berth after that. ;)

This was my box opener for a while:

Decidedly NOT a non-intimidating gentleman's knife. lol

For something at FT which might get a similar reaction, try SKU 1283900. :)
#50 (permalink)      2/23/2016 1:58:54 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
Since you're on the subject of gentleman's knife, here's a nice slip joint one SKU 1286805
#51 (permalink)      2/23/2016 3:18:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DefMunky
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2015
  • Posts 7236
  • Reviews 34
  • Kudos5566
bdpf79 wrote:

Since you're on the subject of gentleman's knife, here's a nice slip joint one SKU 1286805

I forgot I had that one in my wishlist. Another one I was going to buy before I started going crazy with vaping gear. lol