Regulations in South Korea?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      3/5/2016 4:04:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pocariboy
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 1952
  • Reviews 323
  • Kudos655
Regulations in South Korea?
Can't seem to find an answer to this question even after phoning Korean Customs which were very vague.

What I'm wondering is what, if any, are the regulations regarding buying knives from FT. The knife in particular has a 11cm blade and is basically a tactical camping knife.

SKU 4361700

Thank you...

Edited on 3/5/2016 at 4:05 AM. Reason:
#2 (permalink)      3/5/2016 7:55:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DaddyDead
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 3151
  • Reviews 302
  • Kudos5400
+2 details
Only thing i could really find from British Blades was a reference to current laws which suggests that this length would have been OK but it now falls into the police area of concern ... seems to depend on having a license as well

Key text i got

Q1: For what sort of edged tools am I required to have a license?

A1: For any edged tool with blade length longer than 15 centimetres you need a license. A license may be required also for any edged tool with blade length longer than 6 centimetres (or 5.5 centimetres in case of automatic knives) if they are considered to have clear possiblity of being used as edged weapons.

So far the "15cm rule" has been in common use, and anything shorter could be purchased and possessed without much trouble. Now the police wants to see if anything inbetween 6 and 15 (most of the knives we have fit in this category) has this 'clear possiblity' of weapons usage, hence calling people in.

Q2: Can I carry a knife if I have a license for it?

A2: The license is for possession of a knife, not carrying one. Therefore carrying a knife with blade longer than 6cm is illegal. Also, if an edged tool with a blade shorter than 6cm is used to inflict physical damage to a person, there is a greater chance that the tool might end up being judged as illegal weapon. Only exception is to carry an edged tool for professional purposes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - Quod erat demonstrandum
#3 (permalink)      3/5/2016 9:01:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pocariboy
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 1952
  • Reviews 323
  • Kudos655
Yeah, that 15cm rule seems to apply to quite a few countries. Just not sure about Korea, though.

Thanks @DaddyDead
#4 (permalink)      3/6/2016 4:55:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
DaddyDead
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 3151
  • Reviews 302
  • Kudos5400
+2 details
Just to note:- That info was for Korea not UK ... The UK is even more screwed up over knifes
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - Quod erat demonstrandum
#5 (permalink)      3/6/2016 5:00:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pocariboy
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 1952
  • Reviews 323
  • Kudos655
+2 details
DaddyDead wrote:

Just to note:- That info was for Korea not UK ... The UK is even more screwed up over knifes

OK, that explains why it seemed so familiar. That's all I could find too. Quite vague. And kinda up to the decision of the Customs worker as whether or not it seems like a 'weapon' or not.

Thanks again

#6 (permalink)      3/6/2016 5:09:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vape4more
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3095
  • Reviews 113
  • Kudos2191
To carry a concealed weapon in public should be the key here?

If you wanted to import this blade for camping 140 miles from nowhere, well who would care?

South Korea? Well I don't know etc etc etc....
#7 (permalink)      3/7/2016 4:40:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pocariboy
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2014
  • Posts 1952
  • Reviews 323
  • Kudos655
Decided to roll the dice and order anyways. Worse case scenario is Customs holds it and sends me a letter indicating that knives can't be bought on the Internet do to blah, blah, blah,...

And I'm out $15. No big deal. Life goes on... As it wouldn't be the first time Customs seized something I've ordered.