Spydercollector
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:05:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
Needs work is one I've almost bought since it came out. I agree there's some real nice Kershaws, CRKT Gerber etc. I think Kershaw is probably the best quality bang for the buck on the market.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#12 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:07:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
Have you tried a Kershaw Tilt Nym? Another that I waffled on and never bought.
If I'm ignoring you it's because you're fallacy impaired. Here's hoping you rectify your problem so that we might have a sensible conversation.
#13 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:12:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
Yes I have a Tilt (somewhere). I'm not a huge fan of tantos so it doesn't get used often, but I like the ergonomics, which are very much akin to the Asset.
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#14 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:15:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
I keep meaning to snag a couple of the Kershaw Emerson knives. I'm a big fan of Emerson, and they're one of the few premium off the shelf brands really worth the money, but I think Kershaw can do the designs justice. That said, the Emerson flipper will always be beaten by an assisted or auto for me - or the Kershaw ripcord. Not really a very practical knife, more of a magic trick, but I do enjoy fiddling with mine......and the knife :-)
Grand Poobah of The Sacred Order of The Magick Blue Screwdriver. The old Juice Junkies FAQ and guides can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp4ktp8l7fdywg5/AABFkmnUJhjl9vX8tE4URZ8sa?dl=0
#15 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:18:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
A very underated Kershaw is their drop forged boot knife, that mysteriously comes with a weird shoulder harness. Not pretty, but in case of a nuclear apocalypse, it would survive along with cockroaches, scorpions, and Twinkies.

#16 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:19:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
Nymzavril wrote:

Yes I have a Tilt (somewhere). I'm not a huge fan of tantos so it doesn't get used often, but I like the ergonomics, which are very much akin to the Asset.

I'm not a tanto fan either. I have an Emerson (somewhere) for the same reason.

#17 (permalink)      3/16/2016 3:24:21 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gph61
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 23
  • Kudos26823
I used the Emerson a lot. The wave works great from a tool belt. The Tanto though, it's near impossible to use it and keep it intact. An Endura wave fills that spot now.
#18 (permalink)      3/16/2016 4:07:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
baldar
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2014
  • Posts 1611
  • Reviews 4
  • Kudos2008
+1 details
Marcin Slysz SpydieChef.

I was waiting for this one since about 2 years ago last year, the prototype looked a bit better (longer blade, better looking handle).

Edited on 3/16/2016 at 4:29 PM. Reason:
Batteries tests & SAFETY >> http://tinyurl.com/qc4h45u << ... Lubricant >> http://tinyurl.com/mvroz7h <<
#19 (permalink)      3/16/2016 4:10:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Cohnistan
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 1808
  • Reviews 193
  • Kudos2582
Nymzavril wrote:

A very underated Kershaw is their drop forged boot knife, that mysteriously comes with a weird shoulder harness. Not pretty, but in case of a nuclear apocalypse, it would survive along with cockroaches, scorpions, and Twinkies.

I have this knife somewhere in my car.

With Luther's fedora and Nym's cigarette...
#20 (permalink)      3/16/2016 4:47:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
I picked it up cheap on eBay (when eBay still allowed knife sales in the UK), purely because I was bored. When I received it, I was decidedly 'meh' about it, as the quality seemed off. However, once I put a decent edge on it and handled it a little, I began to appreciate how damned solid a one piece drop forged knife is, and how practical it is for 'professional use'. I've always loved my SOG Pentagon (the first gen with the needle tip) as a modern day FS commando knife, but if I were in the forces and in need of a decent sentry silencer, I think the Kershaw would be better, if only it had more convenient carry options such as molle compatibility. The very slender grip puts me in mind of the FS a great deal, and the blade profile is more practical than either a needle tip or swedge. Damn if that thing doesn't take and hold an edge as well.

I know Spyderco have set their stall out with the eye thumb opener, but I kinda wish they'd do some assisted openers. I had that weird auto they made for a while, but traded it, as it was just a bit of a gimmick. I wish I'd held onto my original Spyderfly though, as the first series (saboz, sandoz? Something like that) are fetching silly money with collectors. Anyhoo, a matriarch with assist would be a really useful self defence or last ditch blade. The Civ doesn't really need it, as the huge blade makes opening it pretty instinctive. I don't see why the trademark thumb hole can't be integrated with assist, but hey - what do I know?

Edited on 3/16/2016 at 4:48 PM. Reason:
#21 (permalink)      3/16/2016 4:53:32 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Nymzavril
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2014
  • Posts 23802
  • Reviews 280
  • Kudos18277
+1 details
Oh, and as I've restated many times before, and will do again: best knife ever made by Spyderco? The fully serated meerkat. I love the ghost lock, and that little thing fits my hand like it was tailor made. I once had to tow a truck out of the mud with my old Navara crew cab, and the rope was so wet and badly knotted (not by me) that cutting it was the only option. I pull out the Meerkat, and the guy laughs and unfolds this huge lock knife, and pushes me aside "you need something a bit bigger for a 1" tow rope mate". I let him hack at it for a minute, and then sliced the thing cleanly with one stroke, much to his amazement. Awesome little knife.