UK Cistoms
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/26/2017 4:38:54 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Tripclouds420
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos0
UK Cistoms
I'm looking to buy a hawkbill knife ready for when I start camping in the summer, I'm wondering if anyone knows if it would get through UK customs?
#2 (permalink)      1/30/2017 10:35:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Ellis1990
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 25
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos8
If it is not a flick knife or a gravity knife i think its fine 👍 have you a link too the knife?
#3 (permalink)      2/2/2017 12:29:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
If you get stuck - I too would like a look at your proposed purchase - then there are a couple of semi hawkbill knives available.
Cold Steel Tiger claw or similar name
Lansky/Mikkel Willumsen Madrock World legal is a less expensive option.
Blades ans Bows offer a couple as well, PBK brand.
If you do get a hawkbill/recurve then I'd recommend a Lansky 4 rod Turn Box Sharpener, I have a karambit and had a couple of recurves that would have been difficult without the rods or a Spyderco Sharpmaker.
If you decide on a back-up blade then the Hultafors Heavy Duty, OK1 or OK4 would be ideal. The Heavy Duty is £5.95 and the very similar Craftsman Carbon is £3.95 post £2 from HH or Lorax.
Good luck, you should be OK but UKBA can be annoyingly random ion what they consider "Gravity" - to me gravity means falling open with no flicking or jumping up and down. I had a confiscated, a gift, and the sender tightened the pivot to the point that it was very difficult to open, a liner-lock with thumb studs confiscated???
Even the shops over here are getting shipments confiscated and for them it's rent, light, wages and so on.
#4 (permalink)      2/2/2017 1:44:07 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vostock
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 19250
  • Reviews 361
  • Kudos21739
hasn't someone in govt got one of their periodic hard-ons over knife-crime just at the minute?
#5 (permalink)      2/2/2017 4:23:13 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
steppy
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 1476
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1011
will FT even ship it though?wouldnt ship one i wanted

wtf do you need a curved knife for when camping anyway?
#6 (permalink)      2/3/2017 10:02:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
Vostock wrote:

hasn't someone in govt got one of their periodic hard-ons over knife-crime just at the minute?

More permanent than periodic it seems.
That combined with idiotic shock horror weezagonnadie editorials from the "news"papers has led to pressure on Amazon and ebay so there's no knife sales from them, there are a few slipping through though at top dollar prices.
Latest is a ban on "Zombie Killer" knives now we are completely stuffed when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs.
Or take a perfectly legal gardening tool like a machete - for weed clearance - drip red or green paint on it and scrawl on it in marker that it is indeed a Zombie Killer and it becomes illegal. Same cutting edge, same sharp and pointy bits and the painting on of a few things, illegal. IDIOTS.

The customs do pretty much as they are told and things do get past them, case of "Do I feel lucky" if you order anything that crosses our borders.

If you want a Hawkbill then go for it - camping or collecting I'm pretty sure that you can buy what you want in the UK at the moment but our online stores are suffering as well, if we get an EL-01 confiscated because they have a down on flippers that week then that's our loss if a trader gets an order of 24 Zero Tolerance's lifted out of an order from the USA then it hits them hard and they will, and do, stop selling knives with flippers.

steppy has a good point, why a hawkbill for camping, best answer I can think of is "Because I Want One" simple as that.
Those Moras and Hultafors are a very good if, boring, alternative though.

#7 (permalink)      2/4/2017 8:56:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Tripclouds420
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos0
This is the item
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10021985/5471400-stainless-steel-hawkbill-tactical-knife
#8 (permalink)      2/4/2017 9:38:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
jackdripper
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 1969
  • Reviews 322
  • Kudos8034
+1 details
Good old knife laws. I'll never understand them. Kitchen knives,screwdrivers and chisels top the stats as far as assaults and robberies even in places where switchblades and butterfly knives etc are legal to purchase. The powers that be won't be happy until we are all sipping soup out of our non threatening plastic bowls. Lucky for me I have a pointed stick.
Sometimes I think I can spell. Then I read what I wrote and know that I cantpf
#9 (permalink)      2/4/2017 2:26:06 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
8steve88
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2013
  • Posts 451
  • Reviews 124
  • Kudos273
I can't see that looking like an offensive weapon can you? Camping it would last a couple of days unless you got sick of it sooner.
Have a look at blades and bows selection of MTech knives, they have what you want without the customs issues and for under a tenner, couple of quid postage and you are good to go, maybe not camping but good to go. You really don't want to carry that style of blade in public without a very good reason.
Try a Mora or Hultafors and there are others all under £10 if you are camping take at least one capable blade.

jackdripper - I agree, chase, catch and punish hard the little shits who go around causing alarm and fear but ffs prosecute the person not prohibit the tools.
A few of the Ganzo assisted openers and autos look very good but on a bad day you can expect a night in the barred window hotel and worse for even owning an auto. I have quite bad and very painful arthritis in my hands so an auto would be easier on my hands but safer to open and close as well.
Stupid laws made by stupid people who have no sense of what happens outside the pages of gutter press and getting vote winning laws through the houses of parliament and onto the statute books.
#10 (permalink)      2/4/2017 3:13:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12069
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32088
All the knife restrictionsI are generally about being seen to be doing something, keeps the mail/express mob quiet.

The shitheads that commit all this knife crime don't spend money on well made knifes, they, as jackdripper said, use whatever they find lying about, butterfly knives are banned but you can buy a Stanlety 'folding (butterfly) pocket chisel' for a tenner that will cut through bone FFS.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it (please don't!) and would not advocate it but if you really needed to 'shiv sam cant cos he dissed ya' how about walking into your local whetherspoons/hungry horse/any shit pub that sells steak, pick a steak knife of a table, do yer sticking, walk back in and put it back on a table? They'll even get rid of your prints and DNA for ya!

Spot on about the mora or hultafors 8steve88, not glam but amazing value.

As it happens I bought one of the 'buck' folders from here, when it turned up I had a bit of a shock to find it was assisted, so fasttech don't care about the destination country's stupid laws, and why should they, if you fancy one they're pretty cheap and not too shabby.
Caveat emptor of course.....
Just get one of the above recommendations and you'll be sorted.
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#11 (permalink)      2/4/2017 3:22:46 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12069
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32088
Btw, this is the *ahem* slightly dodgy assisted knife SKU 1449015

This is interesting, and dirt cheap but will need a bit of work but...a fiver! SKU 1208201

And these SKU 2142900, believe me are the tits, bargain price and as tough as horse meat, I gave mine a pounding at work and it keeps a working edge through some serious abuse, you can shave slivers of aluminium with it and still cut hanging paper.

Seriously the tits, I'm getting another to rescale in eucalyptus
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw