Ordering folders into Canada - CBSA starting to confiscate
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:57:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+4 details
And to be clear, the reason I mentioned "ignorant population" is because most of the modern population sees a pocket knife as a weapon.
Anything can be seen as a weapon, a big rock by the side of the road can be a weapon, etc...
A pocket knife is a tool.
As a matter of fact, a knife is the oldest tool used by men.
I've always carried a pocket knife since my grandfather gave me my first one when I was 8 years old to be able to peel my apples picked from the trees.
I use my pocket knife to cut or peel my fruit, to open cardboard boxes, to open packages, etc...
Yet, it was acceptable and common for people to carry a knife for such tasks up to 20 or 30 years ago but in todays's age, it viewed as a crime for some reason, which it shouldn't be.

And it's actually ridiculous that CBSA, which has no authority in making new knife laws, decides to take such action in order "to protect" the Canadian people, when there is very little crime in Canada, and only a tiny portion of this little crime is done with knives which are in 90% of the cases, kitchen knives, that's just sad and laughable.
Prohibiting knife enthusiasts to get a certain type of knives for their hobby will not save any Canadian lives, I can tell you that much.

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 9:59 AM. Reason:
#12 (permalink)      1/31/2018 9:59:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7034
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos3965
+1 details
Bassett wrote:

Biggest piss off for me is them not allowing most vape batteries to enter into Canada.

Every time something like this happens its ground lost. It seems unlikely that reversing this new regulation won't be as easy to undo.

Yeah,got 10 25Rs that has been sitting for 3 weeks in customs....praying they will make it trough

non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#13 (permalink)      1/31/2018 10:00:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
+1 details
Understand your frustration.

I'm not into knives personally but today knives, tomorrow vape gear, and so on.
Not sure what I would do in your case but I'd explore a few options before allowing them to continue.

Good Luck.
Sorry to hear that.

*Martinic: Batteries as well now? First time I have heard of those being an issue once they arrive. Seems rather silly for would the same take place if one ordered from the well known battery shops in the US?

Not sounding good. Any of this. Hope its a not a sign of what's coming :(

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason:
(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#14 (permalink)      1/31/2018 10:17:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7034
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos3965
+1 details
well,they were sent e-packet (even if the site stated that they dont send e-liquids or battery products through it) so e-packets should not stay in clearance for 3 weeks :/

But heh, I just got the last e-packets yesterday,stuff ordered 5 weeks ago

Some SingPost packages are still MIA oldest order from here is:

Ordered Nov 16
Shipped Nov 29
Dispatched Dec 15
Arrived in Canada Jan 8

But most of my xmas shopping spree is now into my hands
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#15 (permalink)      1/31/2018 12:57:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4171
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4419
martinc wrote:

Bassett wrote:
Biggest piss off for me is them not allowing most vape batteries to enter into Canada.

Every time something like this happens its ground lost. It seems unlikely that reversing this new regulation won't be as easy to undo.

Yeah,got 10 25Rs that has been sitting for 3 weeks in customs....praying they will make it trough

I get authentic HG2, 25R or 30Q s locally for $11 a bat. If there is a problem, over the counter exchange. How much are you really saving?

Considering the hassle I went through buying 120 Panasonic 18650 for EV use, (ensuring authenticity, dangerous goods shipping/permits etc) I consider 11$ a bargin.

Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#16 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:15:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4171
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4419
+2 details
I argued with CBSA once about a Greg Lightfoot folder. I had crossed the border with several times with it, never a problem. I believe the guy just wanted to keep it for himself.

I explained it was made in my province, not an import, and that there would be litigation. After pouring over all the logs, looking through everything (even peering in the wing tanks with a flashlight lol) He told me he'd let it go just this once.

I think they are sick of shitty boxcutters, having to open every package that might have fentanyl in it, and are looking to upgrade.
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#17 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:21:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+1 details
You think that's bad? Last year when my TwoSun TS-34 got seized by customs, I contacted them. I spent over 30 mins on the phone trying to explain to the CBSA agent that a flipper on ball bearings is not an automatic knife :$ It was like talking to a wall and of course they ended up keeping it.
#18 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:41:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ShelaghStone
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 32767
  • Reviews 189
  • Kudos23172
+1 details
bdpf79 wrote:

You think that's bad? Last year when my TwoSun TS-34 got seized by customs, I contacted them. I spent over 30 mins on the phone trying to explain to the CBSA agent that a flipper on ball bearings is not an automatic knife :$ It was like talking to a wall and of course they ended up keeping it.

And people want more and more government bureaucrats ruling over them.
Never ceases to amaze me.

(*~*) Was bored to death.. RIP :)
#19 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:53:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vostock
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2014
  • Posts 19250
  • Reviews 361
  • Kudos21739
NOPE..wrong as per SS, most people like the 'regulation' that suits them...rules around the amount of actual animal shite in your meat.. good regulation... see how it goes? a couple of dickhead rules don't invalidate the concept... though we as individuals all have our particular gripes.

must admit Canadas knife laws sound like ours in NZ, they still seem to be fixated with the 50's switchblade moral panic
..I can buy fuck off hunting/tactical knives here but not a flicky and frankly my old chinese kitchen chopper could do more damage to someone than either....
#20 (permalink)      1/31/2018 1:57:48 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Confused_buyer
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2018
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Has anyone here had problems walking across the line with folders after tightening the pivot pin? Ordered in a few to a PO Box in the states, and am debating disassembling a recent order before crossing back into Canada but I feel that it would raise suspicion in the off chance that I get called in...
#21 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:01:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
While the actual law is probably very similar to the one in NZ, one big difference here is the interpretation of the law by our nice customs bureaucrats.
As per the OP, his knife being seized is a Sanrenmu, how threatening can a Sanrenmu knife be LOL!
Yet, they will seize it either under being an automatic knife or a centrifugal knife, which the knife in question is neither.