Ordering folders into Canada - CBSA starting to confiscate
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:01:03 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
While the actual law is probably very similar to the one in NZ, one big difference here is the interpretation of the law by our nice customs bureaucrats.
As per the OP, his knife being seized is a Sanrenmu, how threatening can a Sanrenmu knife be LOL!
Yet, they will seize it either under being an automatic knife or a centrifugal knife, which the knife in question is neither.
#22 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:03:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
Confused_buyer wrote:

Has anyone here had problems walking across the line with folders after tightening the pivot pin? Ordered in a few to a PO Box in the states, and am debating disassembling a recent order before crossing back into Canada but I feel that it would raise suspicion in the off chance that I get called in...

If I were you, I would do what I do, bring them put them in your car and don't declare anything.
After all, these knives are not illegal so I am committing no crime, just bypassing all this BS.

#23 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:13:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14303
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20497
+1 details
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#24 (permalink)      1/31/2018 2:34:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4171
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4419
I think I might have the solution. A custom order, with a tiny pin inserted in the curved rear of the blade, so that the knife does not open at all. Remove the scales, pull the pin, and away you go.

I'd be willing to pay 25$ for such a piece of artwork. I wouldn't even care if it had an edge. A few hundred ordered to different areas of the country, and I expect in short order, anything originating from that seller would go right on through.

They need to understand that they are irrelevant.
Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#25 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:01:19 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
YoMomma
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 101
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos50
I hate that rule we can't have OTF's in Canada. I've wanted one since I was a teen and saw one for the first time. And actual Army issue OTF my friends daughter got from her time in the service. Of course it was obtained in an unconventional manner but it was still an awesome knife. Solid, heavy and the blade came out with so much force. I was blown away. I've always wanted one ever since. I'm 38 now and still haven't managed to get one.
Ugh!
#26 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:07:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
I got those 2 from here SKU 2108300 and SKU 1801300.
If you feel adventurous, you can give it a try, it's not like every package gets inspected.
#27 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:15:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1755
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1815
Confused_buyer wrote:

Has anyone here had problems walking across the line with folders after tightening the pivot pin? Ordered in a few to a PO Box in the states, and am debating disassembling a recent order before crossing back into Canada but I feel that it would raise suspicion in the off chance that I get called in...

This is an excellent solution. I've heard of this working well.

#28 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:19:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
bdpf79
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2013
  • Posts 692
  • Reviews 222
  • Kudos479
+2 details
Moldy wrote:

Confused_buyer wrote:

Read section 27

#29 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:29:26 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
YoMomma
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2016
  • Posts 101
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos50
Moldy wrote:

Confused_buyer wrote:

Those are actually not too bad. I was looking at this one that was a sorta microtech clone on here for about $40 but it seems to have been removed from the site. I had it in my wish list and it's gone now. After a search I still can't find it. It was all black, double edged, and OTF dual action. I guess it's gone. I was temped a lot but $40 is a lot for me these days to risk losing. I don't even play the lottery incase of losing money I could have used for things like milk or snacks for my kids. Even when I'm doing well I'm too afraid to lose money. But I'm in no way afraid to spend it. I just don't like the idea of not getting anything for my money

Ugh!
#30 (permalink)      1/31/2018 3:46:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1755
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1815
bdpf79 wrote:

Moldy wrote:

Confused_buyer wrote:
Has anyone here had problems walking across the line with folders after tightening the pivot pin?...

Read section 27

Touche. It's really a shame.

Section 27: Finally, the Tribunal has recognized that the determination of whether a knife is a prohibited weapon should not turn on easily adjustable features of an individual knife (such as the tightness of a pivot screw) when the overall design of a model is to render such knives generally capable of opening with centrifugal force.

Edited on 1/31/2018 at 4:14 PM. Reason:
#31 (permalink)      1/31/2018 8:53:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Confused_buyer
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2018
  • Posts 2
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
+3 details
What a joke reading the decision by the tribunal, seems like they are stretching the terminology, but until someone feels like throwing money at it and actually fighting we're hooped. It's ridiculous that if someone properly adjusts the pivot pin to comply with the CBSA they can just tweak the adjustment until it's loose and deem it prohibited.

I'm not willing to not declare goods at the border, don't feel like opening that can of worms. Am I correct in my assumption that if one removed the pivot pin they would be complying with the CBSA? You can't flip open a knife if the pivot pin is mailed across in a $.50 envelope, and if they find an extra pivot pin laying around its definitely not OEM which would likely just be a headache for them... Just trying to get another perspective...