Shipping knives to the UK
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      9/6/2021 3:34:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
lazyfitter
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2016
  • Posts 3990
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos7922
+1 details
Walker65 wrote:

I bought what I thought was a nifty little "Kershaw" penknife from 40 thieves. Side opening, no lock mentioned, legal blade length. Got a visit from 2 police officers, turned out to be a flick knife. Got a caution. No more knives for me.

It's luck of the draw... I ordered a ganzo flick knife about a year and a half ago, fully expecting it to be ceased at Langley. Came straight through with no problems! I had thought at best it would pass Langley and be picked up coming into N.Ireland but it sailed through. The cops here have been very busy here lately... they've caught at least three young teens over the last couple of years,who have ordered firearms off the dark web!😱 One kid had a parcel delivered to a pick up point at a local shopping centre containing six Glock handguns! Crazy! 😂 The police just waited for him to roll up and collect it. Bloody kids,eh? 😆

#22 (permalink)      9/6/2021 4:05:50 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 662
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos487
+1 details
I walked my flick knife and my switchblade through customs in my hold luggage, not the slightest bit of interest from the customs officers.
I also have a matched set of balisong knives that I bought legally in a shop before they were added to the banned list in the UK.
Plus a "Rambo" styled knife that I bought in a shop.
Insert smart and witty comment here.....
#23 (permalink)      9/11/2021 2:33:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
mammoth
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 424
  • Reviews 12
  • Kudos445
i've had maybe 20 knives shipped from china to UK with one failure. that was a huge folding knife/machete type thing which was obviously illegal and looking back stood no chance of getting here. i was young(er) and more of an idiot. i got the letter but that was all.
#24 (permalink)      9/11/2021 4:22:19 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2793
  • Reviews 6
  • Kudos2247
It's interesting, through people's experiences here, just how flaky application of the law is on the importation of prohibited knives to the UK. Everything from stuff sailing through unmolested, to an unexpected visit from PC Plod.

One of the most recent changes to the law (the banning of Zombie-style knives, and blades with engraved writing purporting to glamourise the product) will do nothing to stop a ne'er-do-well intending to use a knife nefariously IMHO.
It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#25 (permalink)      9/11/2021 10:33:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ppeeble
Verified
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 990
  • Reviews 358
  • Kudos993
I never had a problem with automatic side openers to the UK and ordered at least 30 assorted knives from FT without issue.
Then i ordered an OTF and ended up having a knock on the door by the police. To be honest they were just going through the motions and didn't seem that bothered. Told me the knife had been destroyed and not to be naughty again - the conversation lasted about 20 seconds.
I haven't ordered any knives from FT since then but have had a couple from other Chinese sites - without issue.
More sense than money.....
#26 (permalink)      9/11/2021 11:54:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
blackhack
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 662
  • Reviews 69
  • Kudos487
To be totally honest, this governments preoccupation with their attempt to ban knives here (at least)in the UK is a waste of time....I have a bunch of knives in a wooden block in my kitchen that if used improperly could cause a great deal of damage.
I do admit that there is a bit of "Macho" in owning a knife, but the vast majority of knife owners and collectors are decent human beings....There is however a minority who see themselves as "Protecting themselves" from attack and use knives as a kind of bravado.
Insert smart and witty comment here.....