Thoughts on pattern steel...(revisited)
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      1/21/2022 1:45:18 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MarcF
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2014
  • Posts 1010
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos1458
+2 details
continued....

#12 (permalink)      1/21/2022 6:57:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
One of the most overlooked aspects of Japanese metal work is phosphorus and sulfur content of bloom versus crucible steel. Another is that, unlike in the "West", in Japan one of the three foundations of the culture is the sword, so making swords was honored and supported by "nobility" and master craftsmen were "treasures".

In India and the West it was much different. In India blacksmiths were the lowest of the low castes, further west it is said that a blacksmith rarely knew how to write his name. That is not to say that smiths of these two areas were inferior because we have historical examples of superior quality. Uthberth for one.

So a question comes up... Which swords were best? European, Middle Eastern or Japanese?
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#13 (permalink)      1/22/2022 6:43:11 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4794
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2881
So, my Asmodus gift knife is not laser etched, much to my surprise! Asmodus reps contacted me overnight after I inquired about it last week (due to this discussion at FT)...and, big goof on my part, the packaging/ display box it came in does indeed say "Composite Layered Damascus Steel" with a quick code that takes you to a brief video showing how they are made.

So, though I don't have a History Channel worthy knife from a long lost era, I do have a Damascus pattern that is most likely authentic, in that it is not a laser etched "copy"

So, this brings up the subject of me, not being able to discern the difference...there's a lesson there somewhere, for people who just want a good looking, affordable, and usable knife. I'm all for collecting (obviously), but to me, a knife is just something to open packages from modders, lol!
What does he mean when he says words?
#14 (permalink)      1/22/2022 10:58:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
Yeah, well, looks can be deceiving. Btw, I don't own a "History Channel" knife either. And, I am sorta glad because it might tend to make me an elitist. Good that you have a .. "good looking, affordable, and usable knife" that you have authenticated as genuine folded pattern steel. But Asmodus is lying to you, it is not Damascus but, "Damascus style". I would be interested in that brief video.
#15 (permalink)      1/22/2022 11:21:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4794
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2881
+1 details
lol, would hate for you to be an "elitist" over the internet! Seems you are still hung up on words, so I leave to your thread about things that you say don't exist....

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my piping-hot "French style" Fries before they get cold. They go great with "not really ham"burgers, ya know?
#16 (permalink)      1/22/2022 11:38:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
Hung up on words? It seems I may be more hung up on authenticity than words. You, as well as I, know why Asmodus will not describe the product you display as "Style". The more exotic the description, the more desirable the object. Kinda like clickbait.

Please post the brief video if it "exists", as I would really like to see it. I am into things like that.
#17 (permalink)      1/22/2022 12:46:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4794
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2881
+1 details
Yes, your steadfast determination that nothing can be called Damascus is yours alone. I thought we had gotten past that sticking point in the last thread: It's either one of two methods, as it's not laser etched, as I thought before. Cast, or weld...that's it. I care nothing about location, or how modern the tools used are....

The end result matters, affordability matters, availability matters...even the most ardent fanboy surely has at least one example of what they claim dominion over, eh?

Don't know how to post videos, and it's of little interest anyway. In the 2:18 video, The blades are finished already, and the focus is (rightfully so, in this case) the Asmodus produced stabwood handles being screwed together....though I'm sure it's on YT, if you look...that is, "if it exists"...lol

It's a nice knife. Sharp and pretty, and best of all, I didn't pay for it!
#18 (permalink)      1/22/2022 12:48:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Andy.lion
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 12065
  • Reviews 25
  • Kudos32085

Thread of the year…!
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
#19 (permalink)      1/22/2022 12:51:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4794
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2881
#20 (permalink)      1/22/2022 4:57:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+1 details
I didn't want to be apart of this thread, but I figure il make this post and the subsequent one after receiving the item.

It was a cheap price, with poor pictures, but still visibly layered with a core in some photos.

I can only hope it's halfway decent. It's replacing the brass letter opener on my desk.
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#21 (permalink)      1/22/2022 6:39:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
I look forward to your thoughts on receipt. I like that the pattern is parallel to the edge.

Edit; It means someone was paying attention.

P.S. You are as welcome here as anyone else. Differences of opinion are also welcome.

Edited on 1/22/2022 at 6:46 PM. Reason: