Knife sharpening techniques....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/24/2022 1:36:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Knife sharpening techniques....
So I'm no sharpening expert, and for the most part have no issues getting a proper edge for most of my knives... But I can't for the life of me sharpen a dual edge blade without eventually rounding out the tip.

Any advice?
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#2 (permalink)      1/24/2022 2:39:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
Not from me, for sure, I have a Dawson Bowie that I cannot get to a perfect point, always close but no cigar, so to speak....The best I can get it to a point is by putting an edge on the swedge first, then bringing the blade up to it. If I do the blade first I always end up rounding down when I do the swedge. There may be a technique to get a perfect point, but I have found no instruction or video.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#3 (permalink)      1/24/2022 3:47:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
I can get a pretty close point with a standard single edge blade, and damn near perfect point with a tanto, but these dagger tips are a pain in my ass. With my job, stabbing and slicing boxes, the first 1-2mm of the tip dulls quick enough and it makes a big difference.

Edited on 1/24/2022 at 3:59 PM. Reason:
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#4 (permalink)      1/24/2022 6:01:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Thinking about it now. It may be pointless to try and put a "perfect" point on this blade.... But I'm still all ears on a proper way to get a good point for future references. When I re-profiled the back blade, I fucked up the serations I tried to add, and ended up just grinding them off not paying attention to how hot the metal got. I probably ruined any heat treatment, if it even was initially.... the blade has "toast marks"

Little hard to see on camera, but the toast marks are in the corners of the cutout on the tanto side

Edit: That section I grinded surprisingly has stayed razer sharp since I put it there, the "hook" makes things alot easier when I have to slice boxes for displays. I ordered SKU 2949901 for the baby blades I ordered also and I re-looked it over a minute ago and it's just barely the right size to sharpen that cutout.

Edited on 1/24/2022 at 8:40 PM. Reason:
#5 (permalink)      1/27/2022 11:09:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 2485
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos6373
+1 details
Skeeeets wrote:

... rounding out the tip.

assuming you move parallel to a whetstone to sharpen the straight part of the edge
and then bend your wrist following the curve to the tip

stop your arcs earlier, don't go past the side of the tip
better to err short of it because you can angle the knife and
use straight strokes to sharpen the tip alone like you do with your tanto

the section you ground got hot and being thin it cooled quickly
a one in a million accidental heat treatment hardening the edge

#6 (permalink)      1/27/2022 11:27:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+1 details
I actually try to avoid bending my wrist, I pull the blade with 2 hands to be careful not to round off the tip... But I guess that's not helping too much. I also try to keep good practice of sharpening 1section or the other since it's redundant to "sharpen" an already sharp edge.

Il try treating them like a tanto next time and see what results I get.

And I don't have a traditional whetstone for sharpening knives, it's beatup and used for other metal removal projects. I use a ski similar to these(which I also ordered) SKU 9078700, and on the rare occasion a electric sharpener similar to SKU 9648960 to re profile blades or set a quick edge before a passthrough on the "stone".

Edited on 1/27/2022 at 12:40 PM. Reason:
#7 (permalink)      1/27/2022 11:37:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TY4LOL
Verified
  • JoinedDec 2018
  • Posts 2485
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos6373
how ever you travel to the tip, stop sooner

SKU 9663028

can sharpen, reverse or replace tip/edge
#8 (permalink)      1/27/2022 12:16:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Moldy
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 1755
  • Reviews 182
  • Kudos1815
I use the Lansky Deluxe Diamond Sharpening System and a leather strop. The jig helps prevent mistakes such as rounding off the point. You can often find them on sale and they work well; mine has been going strong for almost a decade. It's not the most high end sharpening system out there but it achieves a near perfect mirror finish on the edge.

There's lots of similar sharpening systems and if you've got the cash you can get some really beautifully designed jigs. Although people who are experienced with whetstones can certainly achieve the same (if not better) results.... it just takes a lot more practice.
#9 (permalink)      1/27/2022 2:11:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
TY4LOL wrote:

how ever you travel to the tip, stop sooner

SKU 9663028

can sharpen, reverse or replace tip/edge

That's a heavy ass knife. I have a few like that, but find them a bit wasteful with how fast I go through blades. And I'm not too fond of having extra weight hanging off my neck.

#10 (permalink)      1/27/2022 3:01:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Video bingeing last night, came to the idea I wanna try my hand at making a knife. We have tons of old files, they just need a heat treat after being ground down to a blade. If that project turns out well enough, I might try for a second attempt and replace one of the blades on these OTFs.
#11 (permalink)      2/4/2022 9:25:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10971
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+2 details
TY4LOL wrote:

.....sharpen the tip alone like you do with your tanto...

;)

Not perfect, but satisfyingly close.

Edited on 2/4/2022 at 9:26 PM. Reason: