Knife sharpening techniques....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/4/2022 9:25:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+2 details
TY4LOL wrote:

.....sharpen the tip alone like you do with your tanto...

;)

Not perfect, but satisfyingly close.

Edited on 2/4/2022 at 9:26 PM. Reason:
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#12 (permalink)      2/5/2022 4:44:13 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
+1 for parallel (or as I'm calling it now, stabby) sharpening. Smooth as butter all day.

Edited on 2/5/2022 at 6:39 PM. Reason:
Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#13 (permalink)      2/5/2022 7:58:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871

This is how I sharpen my tanto edges, I guess the same method can be successfully applied to standard round edge blades.

Edited on 2/5/2022 at 7:59 PM. Reason: Guess short YouTube links are still broke
#14 (permalink)      4/14/2022 11:49:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14260
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20494
TY4LOL wrote:

how ever you travel to the tip, stop sooner

SKU 9663028

can sharpen, reverse or replace tip/edge

These are great. No sense dulling your knife on opening packages and breaking down boxes when you can get something like this. I have that one (different brand) and the Gerber EAB.

Moldy wrote:

I use the Lansky Deluxe Diamond Sharpening System and a leather strop. The jig helps prevent mistakes such as rounding off the point. You can often find them on sale and they work well; mine has been going strong for almost a decade. It's not the most high end sharpening system out there but it achieves a near perfect mirror finish on the edge.

Same here, it works quite well. Finish it off on a leather strop paddle with green honing compound to knock the burr off.

"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#15 (permalink)      4/14/2022 12:33:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21539
+1 details
I've been waiting for this thread to resurrect for a while. When it opened I did some research and finally came upon the "God" of sharpening. He is all about contemporary knives of all price points, sharpening systems, (he uses Work Sharp), and how to use them properly.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#16 (permalink)      4/14/2022 2:57:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
javyn wrote:

TY4LOL wrote:
No sense dulling your knife on opening packages and breaking down boxes when you can get something like this. I have that one (different brand) and the Gerber EAB.

Quite a few reasons I bought this knife specifically for work, biggest reason was the expense of blades. Between chipping and quick dulling, I'd go though 4 blades average a week, which adds up shortly. It gets used for more than just cutting boxes, a sturdy blade is a must.

Edit: a quick shoot at rough math, if blades average 35¢, 8 months and this knife paid for itself along with the sharpening rod.

Edited on 4/14/2022 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Math
#17 (permalink)      4/14/2022 6:39:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
List of use, include but not limited to:

•tape cutter
•box cutter
•strap cutter (always snaps replaceable blades)
•cardboard slicer (watermelon bins are 2" thick")
•Hammer ("glass breaker" used to whack nails and other metal objects)
•Shovel (dig holes in dirt and occasion clean out of cement channels)
•Prybar (open stuck doors and pry shit out of our equipment wheels)
•hole puncher (stab "X" Into hanging bags, and occasional metal cans)
•screwdriver (rarely)
•scraper (remove gum and other stuck shit on shelves)

And probably more if I can remember. A replacement blade knife would not be able to complete most of those tasks. I prefer 1 "tool" with multiple uses vs. multiple tools with 1 use. Less weight and items to search through my pockets.

Edited on 4/14/2022 at 6:44 PM. Reason:
#18 (permalink)      4/14/2022 9:05:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
vape8ion wrote:

I've been waiting for this thread to resurrect for a while. When it opened I did some research and finally came upon the "God" of sharpening. He is all about contemporary knives of all price points, sharpening systems, (he uses Work Sharp), and how to use them properly.

Could of resurrected it yourself ;P

I remember seeing some of his videos way back.

That "Damascus" blank is still in cart, I found cheaper slabs elsewhere but with reviews leaving caution to never heat it lmao. Later in the year, IL end up grabbing one and fucking around with it. Il try to document what work was done.

#19 (permalink)      4/15/2022 1:27:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14260
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20494
Skeeeets wrote:

List of use, include but not limited to:

•tape cutter
•box cutter
•strap cutter (always snaps replaceable blades)
•cardboard slicer (watermelon bins are 2" thick")
•Hammer ("glass breaker" used to whack nails and other metal objects)
•Shovel (dig holes in dirt and occasion clean out of cement channels)
•Prybar (open stuck doors and pry shit out of our equipment wheels)
•hole puncher (stab "X" Into hanging bags, and occasional metal cans)
•screwdriver (rarely)
•scraper (remove gum and other stuck shit on shelves)

And probably more if I can remember. A replacement blade knife would not be able to complete most of those tasks. I prefer 1 "tool" with multiple uses vs. multiple tools with 1 use. Less weight and items to search through my pockets.

Makes sense. I'm in an office so opening boxes is probably the toughest task I'd need a blade for, so the replaceable utility ones work for me.

I work at an IP firm and most of the attorneys here are techies and engineers so, when I need an actual tool for something, I just pillage the tool boxes they all have in their offices.

The wide variety of tools they have can sometimes lead to hilarity. Like, oh, so and so has a nice security screwdriver set. Let me go sabotage all the stall doors in the men's restroom and see what happens.

Edited on 4/15/2022 at 1:33 PM
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#20 (permalink)      4/15/2022 2:28:24 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 10967
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6871
Those random box items are always questionable... Not sure why ours here has key cutters and a hacksaw.
#21 (permalink)      5/3/2022 5:38:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21539
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?