How is your garden doing?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      7/24/2020 5:19:43 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+11 details
How is your garden doing?
Interested to see who else tills a little dirt and how your garden is producing this summer...

Here in the midwest it has been a perfect gardening summer... Normally one will plant after Mothers Day to avoid the last frost... I slipped my first starts in three weeks prior and was harvesting radishes by Mothers Day... I can count on one hand the number of times I have watered so far... It has been a very easy year to grow... I know don't get used to it... Time for the fall garden now...

Just a small backyard plot with a 100' perimeter...

Small sugar pumpkins are near ready...

A few daily harvests...

Dinner for one all out of the garden and the meat from a farm just around the bend...

Making a little Sauerkraut...

The field corn is doing wonderful as well... I'll have to snap a few fresh pictures if anyone is interested...

Edited on 7/24/2020 at 5:26 AM. Reason:
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#2 (permalink)      7/24/2020 7:35:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12843
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19605
+5 details
Very nice Vapor.

Sometimes I wish I had a vegetable garden but then I realize I eat too many that I could never grow enough. That I would have to go to local veggie markets anyhow.

Was very lazy during Covid and started to eat poultry and eggs again.
I suspected that I would lose a stage in my kidney numbers as animal protein is too hard on them, but wanted to see for myself if that were true.
I did.

So back to veggies and I went back up a stage.

So envious of your veggie garden.
I havent found veggies to be quite as good this year as prior. Likely Covid related? Maybe they are picking things sooner. Not sure what it is.

Avocados for example.
I buy a bag of 5 and throw 3 at a time in a brown paper bag with an apple so they ripen perfectly. That way I have a perfect avocado daily. But the last 3 bags just wont ripen. Wasting them. Thats never happened before.
#3 (permalink)      7/24/2020 8:37:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+4 details
Very nice little vegie plot you've got there Vapor and one that yields such bountiful crops. Sometimes I wish I had a vegetable garden but I know I'm not cut out for it.
#4 (permalink)      7/24/2020 11:12:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+5 details
Very Nice Vapor, this mornings harvest.
Always keep your ear to the ground!
#5 (permalink)      7/24/2020 11:31:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 624
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1526
Wylie wrote:

... this mornings harvest.

Are these Truffles, Wylie?

#6 (permalink)      7/24/2020 11:33:26 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+4 details
LovelyBerta wrote:

Wylie wrote:
... this mornings harvest.

Are these Truffles, Wylie?

Lion's mane mushrooms

#7 (permalink)      7/24/2020 11:37:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 624
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1526
ah! ok.
Very nice indeed!
#8 (permalink)      7/24/2020 12:21:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+1 details
Wylie wrote:

Learn something new everyday, very cool... Do they taste similar to any other mushrooms? How do you grow them?

It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#9 (permalink)      7/24/2020 12:27:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+2 details
Still.Me wrote:

Very nice Vapor.

Sometimes I wish I had a vegetable garden but then I realize I eat too many that I could never grow enough. That I would have to go to local veggie markets anyhow.

Was very lazy during Covid and started to eat poultry and eggs again.
I suspected that I would lose a stage in my kidney numbers as animal protein is too hard on them, but wanted to see for myself if that were true.
I did.

So back to veggies and I went back up a stage.

So envious of your veggie garden.
I havent found veggies to be quite as good this year as prior. Likely Covid related? Maybe they are picking things sooner. Not sure what it is.

Avocados for example.
I buy a bag of 5 and throw 3 at a time in a brown paper bag with an apple so they ripen perfectly. That way I have a perfect avocado daily. But the last 3 bags just wont ripen. Wasting them. Thats never happened before.

Thank you but seriously I can't take full credit as it has been a very easy growing season...

"eat too many" Just grow about 3 zucchini plants and you can feed the entire city of Toronto... Once they get started it is crazy how they produce. I try to pick them when they are small miss a few days and you have the monsters above!

#10 (permalink)      7/24/2020 12:30:09 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+3 details
djvillan wrote:

Very nice little vegie plot you've got there Vapor and one that yields such bountiful crops. Sometimes I wish I had a vegetable garden but I know I'm not cut out for it.

Yeah I dedicate about a half hour a day to it... Some years it is a lot more time and work...

#11 (permalink)      7/24/2020 12:54:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+6 details
Vapor wrote:

Wylie wrote:

Learn something new everyday, very cool... Do they taste similar to any other mushrooms? How do you grow them?

As far as taste they're a fairly mild tasting mushroom, not musky like some with a texture much like crab meat. Preparation can alter the texture, Panco crumbs for a crunchy bite, Tempera.....

They're grown on/in hardwood sawdust blocks, inoculated hardwood logs... like Maple, Birch, Oak but can be tricked with honey being such a complex sugar to grow even on straw but the process can be intensive.

I've gone with grain spawn in the pasted but the easiest way is to just buy an inoculated growers block.

Lions mane are one of the easier mushrooms to grow and are considered a choice edible mushroom.

Edit:
This mornings harvest was rather small for Lions mane. I had to evacuate excessive moisture from the growers block or there could have been mold eventually so the extra holes in the plastic bag make more fruiting points and pull nutrients from others causing smaller fruiting bodies.

Edited on 7/25/2020 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Spawn not spone!