How is your garden doing?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      7/26/2020 12:11:45 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Gatok
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2018
  • Posts 737
  • Reviews 21
  • Kudos1095
+5 details
Our little garden.

#22 (permalink)      7/27/2020 4:52:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+1 details
neo71665 wrote:

Our garden about drowned at the start and now has burned up. This year sucked. We managed to get enough cucumbers to pickle a few jars. The tomatoes and squash all got too much water and started rotting on the vines. The only things going right now are okra and my ghost peppers.

I added chickens to the farm this year after not having any for the past decade. Remembering why I stopped now. Got a cow ready for the butcher. I just need to clean out the freezer or go get another one.

Those years suck... Anyone who tills year after year will run into them... Funny that the only thing that hasn't exactly worked out for me this year is my bell peppers... The peppers I have now are only about a month along... The first planting was to cold... The second the seeds didn't germinate... The third finally took... By the time they took the plants around them shadow them most of the day... I need to move them...

Chickens... LOL... It is work for sure... Also amazing how many things want to eat the same things we do!

Edited on 7/27/2020 at 5:36 AM. Reason:
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#23 (permalink)      7/27/2020 4:31:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
rico300zx
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 1206
  • Reviews 148
  • Kudos347
+3 details
My garden is growing great here in eastern PA, best in years, I’m actually considering expanding next year!
www.youtube.com/rico300zx (Hand Strength and Weight Lifting in case your interested)
#24 (permalink)      7/28/2020 12:00:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4506
+6 details
Unusually hot and dry where I am this year. Only mowed lawn 5 times so far. Sucks because I use grass for mulch.

I think this heat is affecting pollination of tomatoes.

Some pics of some of my spaces.

Edited on 7/28/2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason:
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#25 (permalink)      7/28/2020 12:13:31 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
djvillan
Verified
+4 details
Wow, I would never have guessed so many of you are gardeners (green thumbs).

#26 (permalink)      7/28/2020 1:25:20 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4506
+5 details
My state-of-the art grow room...

Those fixtures and bulbs (5000K Daylight LEDs) cost me a total of about $130. No need for the fancy stuff. Anyone can do it with just a little knowledge (widely available) and dedication. Been using this setup for about 4-5 years now.

Every memorial day weekend, I go to the cemetery a few blocks away and load my trunk with 4-cell trays and 4-6" pots that flowers usually come in. I have boxes of them now and won't be going for a while lol. Don't judge me, I'm only taking trash. You would be surprised how many gardeners on gardening forums think that is unethical. People plant their flowers at the graves then throw the pots in the trash cans at the cemetery. Their trash saves me money. It's called recycling and it wastes very little energy. Most trays and pots can be reused for many years if you're gentle.
#27 (permalink)      7/28/2020 1:53:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
MotoBlue
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 4892
  • Reviews 30
  • Kudos4828
+3 details
I need to do something like that. I don't have a single south facing window in this house. I can germinate then they do nothing. I have to wait until it is warm enough to shove stuff in the greenhouse.
Over a thousand squonk products available at Fasttech
#28 (permalink)      7/28/2020 2:27:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4506
+1 details
MotoBlue wrote:

I need to do something like that. I don't have a single south facing window in this house. I can germinate then they do nothing.

It doesn't seem to matter anyway because seedlings don't seem to get enough sun in a window, even a south facing window, and grow will leggy and bent as they reach for the light coming through the window (the bent part isn't a big deal, they straighten out when you get them outside). That was my experience when I first started growing my own plants for my garden and that's why I got the lights (and heat mats for faster germination).

If they "do nothing" though, that's odd. They should do something - either die, grow well or grow poorly.

#29 (permalink)      7/28/2020 6:12:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21052
+1 details
Almost forgot what a mature bell pepper plant looked like... May get a few peppers off the plants before winter sets in... The last of the summer garden that I look forward to are the melons... I have one plant that I limited to two fruits that should make them about as sweet as they can be...

I was fortunate the honey bee's found my garden early and have visited it daily...
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#30 (permalink)      7/28/2020 7:03:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12843
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19605
+1 details
Vapor wrote:

I was fortunate the honey bee's found my garden early

Earlier than normal?

Curious or wasps here are fairly sedate until the end of August. As summer winds down and fall is about to start, they tend to become frantic. Gathering for winter.
I have noticed this behaviour much earlier this year. Indeed, the past 10-12 days they have already started their frantic dance.

Although up here we have had almost 2 months of 30+ weather with humidity. Yesterday it was up to 35 or 108F. Really odd they are doing this so early.

Wondering if they are early for you as well..

#31 (permalink)      7/28/2020 3:59:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2652
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1094
+1 details
vapeluvr wrote:

Growing for mafia?

The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.