How is your garden doing?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#81 (permalink)      8/23/2020 8:51:30 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3948
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4466
+2 details
Sorry to hear that vapeluvr. All I have is chilli plants and my flowers are dropping.

Incects are the future if we want to rid ourselves of cowfarts.
#82 (permalink)      8/23/2020 9:38:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4505
I'm convinced that if people would stop thinking that birds would die if they did not feed them, there would be less insect problems. Birds would eat more insects if they did not have the easy food supplied by stale bread and seeds from bird feeders. They would be more aggressive and voracious if we did not soften them with easy food. Birds should only be fed in the winter months to keep then in the area.

I'm not saying that this would solve my pepper fly problem, but it might. Of course, I'll never convince anyone in my area to stop feeding the birds lol.
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#83 (permalink)      8/23/2020 9:46:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4505
+1 details
RussG wrote:

Sorry to hear that vapeluvr. All I have is chilli plants and my flowers are dropping.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Blossom Drop is very common for pepper plants. It happens for many reason, most of which are environmental and you can't to much about it. If temps are too hot in the day or too cold at night, you can get blossom drop. If you plants are in pots you can move them to a less sunny spot during the hottest times of the day. That's one thing you can try to do. Shade cloth is another thing you can use.

Sometimes it's cultural and nutritional which you can do something about but by the time you see blossom drop it's too late to fix cultural and nutritional issues in most areas.

Thrips can cause blossom drop as well as malformed fruit. I was just reading about this. I never check my plants for thrips but I'm sure I have them. Farmers check for thrips inside the blossoms. They can be very tiny so a 10x or stronger magnifying glass might be necessary. I have no idea of how to effectively kill or repel them once you do figure out you have too many thrips. Just one or 2 here and there is not a problem. Farmers only treat for thrips if they have so many.

#84 (permalink)      8/24/2020 9:20:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
RussG
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2015
  • Posts 3948
  • Reviews 106
  • Kudos4466
vapeluvr wrote:

I'm convinced that if people would stop thinking that birds would die if they did not feed them, there would be less insect problems. Birds would eat more insects if they did not have the easy food supplied by stale bread and seeds from bird feeders. They would be more aggressive and voracious if we did not soften them with easy food. Birds should only be fed in the winter months to keep then in the area.

I'm not saying that this would solve my pepper fly problem, but it might. Of course, I'll never convince anyone in my area to stop feeding the birds lol.

Err, just had a box of 50 fat balls delivered from Amazon.

As far as flower drop, maybe due to the recent winds we have had over the last few days. All my plants are pest free, squished a few aphids and are now clean. 35 degrees here last week but the good ol english summer has returned. Demolished our creaky old glass summer house a few days ago, not before time as was a death trap, only fit for storage so my plants will have to deal with being outside.

Had decent crops of chillis from store bought plants, producing up to november in previous years so we will see.

#85 (permalink)      8/25/2020 5:44:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26261
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21051
+1 details
The birds always manage to eat some of my sweet corn and about half of my raspberries... Plenty feed in the grass especially after a mow... This year I had a pesky bluejay nest in the apple tree closest to the garden... The corn was in the corner closest to the apple tree... Bird kept uprooting the starts just to be ornery... They are very territorial... It went on for a few months, I sowed she plucked... Eventually I won...

On the organic note, I gave up on that years ago... By the time you start seeing the pests typically you have a problem you are not going to beat organically (hand picking, soaps, home remedies) unless you can spend nearly every waking hour tending the garden... The first half of growing season is easy few pests but, in the middle of summer we get zapped cucumber beetles, squash bugs, and japanese beetles are like clock work... The last can destroy a garden in a day or two... I use as little liquid sevin as possible along with best practices... For example planting garlic under the apple trees... Companion planting reduces the need for pesticides... Consistent watering and letting the garden dry out between is pretty important to control all sorts of potential problems... Till in the fall and again in the spring...

Speaking of watering... Have been watering for the last month... The rains finally gave up...
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#86 (permalink)      8/25/2020 5:35:05 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4505
I agree. Organic gardening isn't all it's cracked up to be and organic pesticides can be very iffy whether they work or not. And neem oil doesn't do squat for pests either as as repellent or an insecticide. It's all hype. However it does work well for about 10 days for keeping powdery mildew at bay. I can vouch for that. But around here powdery mildew starts setting in fast and strong around this time of year and using neem would be a waste being that there's little time left in my growing season.

I think in order for me to grow maggot-free peppers at this point, I need to use synthetics. But from what I've read on what synthetics are available for for pepper fly, it's still a hard pest to eliminate. And it's expensive.

However, I may buy some nematodes that are supposed to destroy pepper maggot pupae in the ground and apply them when the weather starts to cool off in the fall, then see what happens next year.

What worries me about next year (which is the main reason I want to try the nematodes) is that the pepper flies don't usually target tomatoes (and it appears they have not touched my tomatoes) as long as they have peppers and eggplant around. So if I let things go, the pupae will turn into next year's flies and they will attack my tomatoes if I do not have peppers for them to lay eggs in.

FUQ ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited on 8/25/2020 at 5:37 PM. Reason:
#87 (permalink)      8/31/2020 2:59:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7717
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4505
I harvested 48 bell and ajvarski peppers today, total of 16 lbs. Every one had a pepper maggot or corn earworm or both in them.