Aggressive animal handling....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      7/28/2020 12:55:38 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11074
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6939
+1 details
Skeeeets wrote:

is it more humane to put a projectile in its head and kill it, or throw it to other animals to tear them apart alive?

Wow. Reading that back... It sounds like our prison system.

Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#12 (permalink)      7/28/2020 1:11:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7050
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos3978
eat asparagus and mark your own territory with your own brand :)

...works against feral cats
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#13 (permalink)      7/28/2020 1:48:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7763
  • Reviews 355
  • Kudos4529
I'm confused, why are you moving them from the trap to a dog cage?

Jubby wrote:

If you guys can relocate the animals but would rather kill them ... maybe see a shrink?

I agree, save the bullets for the hippies.

Edited on 7/28/2020 at 1:49 AM. Reason:
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#14 (permalink)      7/28/2020 8:43:51 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11074
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6939
vapeluvr wrote:

I'm confused, why are you moving them from the trap to a dog cage?Jubby wrote:If you guys can relocate the animals but would rather kill them ... maybe see a shrink?I agree, save the bullets for the hippies.

The trap isn't a cage. That's why. I need a cage for transport.

Knock knock, let the devil in. Malevolent as I've ever been, head is spinnin'. This medicine's screamin', "L-l-l-let us in!"
#15 (permalink)      7/28/2020 9:50:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
neo71665
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2189
  • Reviews 52
  • Kudos1456
+2 details
Skeeeets wrote:

Anyone have experience with handling "feral" animals?

Bought a new trap for these damn racoons, and I'm stuck thinking about how to handle it afterwards since I will be moving them from the trap and into a dog cage to relocate....

Should I go about just man handling the fuckers with some bite resistant gloves, or just make one of those ghetto noose on a stick things?

Depending on local laws you might be required to have a permit to trap, even live trap. Also some states it is illegal to relocate them. Might even need a different permit to relocate. (state money grabs but won't get into that) If you do relocate them they tend to have a home range of about 5-10 miles depending if it's city (smaller) or country (larger). If you just drop it off around the corner it's gonna come right back. The way coon populations are around the country right now I actually agree the most humane solution might be to just shoot it unless it's a nursing mother. People don't hunt them like they used to and populations have exploded. My log is backed up on removing the damn things.

About 30 years of experience hunting, trapping, and raising coons (licensed rehabilitater). I wouldn't suggest trying to handle them with leather gloves, those things have sharp teeth and claws. You think you are gonna even grab a tame coon by the scuff of the neck and tail you are gonna have a very rude awaking. They might look small but I've seen them take down full grown hunting dogs.

And just because one of my 2 pet girls.

Nothing wrong with a good BBQ coon btw

Edited on 7/28/2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason:
My opinions are my own. If you disagree with them please take a big healthy crap in your hands and give yourself a round of applause.
#16 (permalink)      7/28/2020 10:29:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
gotthedrips
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 4002
  • Reviews 39
  • Kudos8833
There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant!
#17 (permalink)      7/28/2020 10:56:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
Why don't you trap it, then put a garbage can over it? Then you can lift up one edge slightly, slide the lid/plywood/etc underneath the can, and secure it.
Then you've got a pissed off coon in a can that you can transport.
What does he mean when he says words?
#18 (permalink)      7/28/2020 11:00:01 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11074
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6939
vapeluvr wrote:

I'm confused, why are you moving them from the trap to a dog cage?

This is the trap I bought

After catching, I need to cage it for removal off the property.

@neo. It's 350$ a year to use a trap, extra 100$ per season per animal(you need separate permits for separate animals...), Another 100$ to remove it from your property. And it must've released onto someone else's property following with the owners signature allowing it.... End of the year total for us to remove coons possums and chipmunks is around 1500$ per year. Fuck that.

I'd rather shoot em for free. But there are the times someone gets pissy.... So I have to play the good guy sometimes... Looks like I'm gonna need to get onto making that noose on a stick

Edited on 7/28/2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason:
#19 (permalink)      7/28/2020 11:02:12 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
No matter what anyone says, you do not want to try to handle a pissed off wild animal. One thing is to clean up around your home. They will go elsewhere when there is a better food source.
#20 (permalink)      7/28/2020 11:06:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Skeeeets
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 11074
  • Reviews 260
  • Kudos6939
carrion4worm wrote:

No matter what anyone says, you do not want to try to handle a pissed off wild animal. One thing is to clean up around your home. They will go elsewhere when there is a better food source.

We are not getting rid of our pond. Racoons can eat lead instead of my fish.

#21 (permalink)      7/28/2020 11:49:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4851
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3042
Yeah, didn't know it was fish. I have a 6 foot diameter koi pond, oh God I was pissed when a 50.00 fish disappeared. Don't know if it was from the ground or the air, but I put a canopy of netting over the water, and added lights to thwart night scavengers. It worked--

You can go to jail for killing them, call your animal control if all else fails, usually it's just 1 or 2 culprits. A barking dog is a good deterrent as well.

Good luck!