[Politics]The importance of vitamin D
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      9/28/2020 11:28:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12923
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19756
+1 details
Richy7 wrote:

Anyone taking Vitamin K2 (MK7) alongside their D3 ??

Probably best to ask your doctor when you have blood tests.

My understanding, at least is that Vitamin D is really the most needed. B12 for those of us plant based or Vegan although with age its also necessary, as I have mentioned before.

But I would imagine that a good One vitamin a day would be fine for most people?!

Edited on 9/28/2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason:
#22 (permalink)      9/28/2020 11:44:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12923
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19756
+1 details
Not sure what you are after Richy?

Personally, I prefer to get needed vitamins from food if one can.

I use a great app called Chronometer. Free on the web or $5 or ur iPhone.
I have about 15 recipes I regularly make all listed so it shows the level of all nutrients gained.
I basically know everything so only use it nowadays when adding new foods.

But its great in that it shows you were you are lacking. Folate is one I am regularly low in but in my particular case its better for me to be low....so it always lets me know roughly where I am going overboard or not.

Potassium, Prosperous and Protein the big 3 that have levels for each I have to adhere to.

Unfortunately my pup is no longer reacting well to his new higher end kibble so I believe its not protein he's allergic to but a filler in the kibble of some sort so he's going to be going on a Raw or 100% home cooked diet I believe.

So now I have to sit and put together proper nutritional meals for him ensuring all the right minerals, proteins, calcium, phosphorus, etc; are at the right healthy percentage.

It's never ending. Don't complicate it any more than you need to. Your doctor, going by statistics per age, or your blood tests can give you the best advice for what you personally might need.
#23 (permalink)      9/28/2020 12:38:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6946
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos10340
+2 details
Still.Me wrote:

Not sure what you are after Richy?

Hi Shelagh, Im not talking about general vitamin supplementing, only D3 in relation to the mass of evidence coming out over its benefit in outcomes concerning respiratory diseases.

and the number of doctors who advocate for taking Vitamin K2 as a must alongside D3 illustrated in the video i posted.

I was only wondering if anyone who is actually taking D3 was also taking K2.

#24 (permalink)      9/28/2020 12:53:28 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 624
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1527
+4 details
If I may...

Vitamin D cannot be easily absorbed and processed in its pure form.
Therefore the Dr above is right as it needs K the be absorbed. It needs sort of a 'carrier'.
The problem, however, with K is that it may have an impact on kidney functions as it may cause kidney stones. Of course depending on your kidneys' sensitivity.

Sorry for that, I was trying to give some honest advice.

Edit: Additionally, some providers of Vitamin D also add Ca which helps absorption, and helps for bone density at a certain age.

My apologies for intervening in your discussion.

Edited on 9/28/2020 at 1:07 PM. Reason:
#25 (permalink)      9/28/2020 1:12:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12923
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19756
+1 details
Richy7 wrote:

Hi Shelagh, Im not talking about general vitamin supplementing, only D3 in relation to the mass of evidence coming out over its benefit in outcomes concerning respiratory diseases.

and the number of doctors who advocate for taking Vitamin K2 as a must alongside D3 illustrated in the video i posted.

I was only wondering if anyone who is actually taking D3 was also taking K2.

Ah, ok.

First I have heard, I think, of K2 or havent noticed it in the past.
I speak with many that use D3 but I havent heard of K2 in relation to any of them.

That said, I have been out of touch with most of them since Covid began so perhaps it's something new.

Would be interested to hear what you find out, although in my case I cant take anything more than I do due to the kidneys.

@LB could be right. I am not sure. Out of my area

Edited on 9/28/2020 at 1:13 PM. Reason:
#26 (permalink)      10/1/2020 3:44:34 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6946
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos10340
+1 details

Edited on 10/1/2020 at 3:44 AM. Reason:
#27 (permalink)      10/1/2020 5:34:15 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26268
  • Reviews 154
  • Kudos21056
+1 details
Still.Me wrote:

But I would imagine that a good One vitamin a day would be fine for most people?!

I eat fairly healthy but still toss a multi vitamin in for whatever good it does or doesn't do... As usual the science is all over the place on if they are beneficial or not...

It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#28 (permalink)      10/2/2020 9:42:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7034
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos3967
I take zinc as well....microbes hate zinc
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#29 (permalink)      10/2/2020 11:10:56 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
furcifernova
Verified
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 3305
  • Reviews 12
  • Kudos2785
Just eat your damn veggies!

Vitamin D is one of the ones that is harder to get from veggies. I love mushrooms though so I sneak them in whenever I can. Otherwise it's salmon and the occasional tin of sardines. This pretty much covers me for D and B12, which are the only vitamins I would ever consider supplementing.
At no point in Trump's rambling, incoherent 1 term presidency was there anything close to what could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the country is now dumber for having experienced it.
#30 (permalink)      10/3/2020 4:53:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12923
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19756
Depends on the mushroom and then only up to 15%o your daily intake per day.

The Lowdown on Vitamin D The Canadian Cancer Society recommends that light-skin people should obtain 1000 IU (International Units) per day during fall and winter, and dark-skin people should obtain 1000 IU year-round.

Mushrooms Have Vitamin DVitamin D in mushrooms chat
*15% Daily Value (DV) is considered a lot of vitamin D per serving.

Mushrooms are the only vegetable that contains Vitamin D, naturally. All other natural food sources of Vitamin D are of animal, poultry or seafood origin. Also, some foods, such as milk, orange juice and cereals may be fortified with Vitamin D, up to 100 IU.

Cultivated mushrooms contain a plant sterol called ergosterol, which is the precursor of Vitamin D². In fresh mushrooms, ergosterol is stimulated to convert to Vitamin D² by ultraviolet light, either from sunlight or artificial lights.

Adding Vitamin D to Fresh Mushrooms

It has been demonstrated in recent studies that the level of Vitamin D² in White/Brown mushrooms can be increased significantly (up to 100% of the Daily Value), by exposure to ultraviolet light for a few minutes, either pre-harvest or post-harvest. When this technology is perfected, Super-D mushrooms may be available, to the public, as a vegetable source of Vitamin D.

I eat mushrooms daily but consistently show up low in D if I don't supplement. That said, now back to normal health again, tests next month will determine if 5-7 hours outdoors in light/sun every single day since March this year will have increased it naturally or not.

Edited on 10/3/2020 at 5:37 AM. Reason:
#31 (permalink)      11/29/2020 5:04:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
LovelyBerta
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedMar 2020
  • Posts 624
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1527
+3 details
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam