[dismiss] FastTech will be on holiday from October 1, 2022 to October 7, 2022. All services resume on October 8, 2022, at 1:00 am (UTC). (details).
What's your favourite comedy?
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#21 (permalink)      7/9/2021 6:50:53 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8759
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31430
javyn wrote:

Ahhh not gonna click because I just can't get into standup. Aside from old sets from Carlin, Kaufman, and Eddie Murphy, none of the rest of it does anything for me.

Just click on it. I agree nothing comes close to Carlin, but Jeselnik is one of the very few who's actually funny and does so in a unique style.

#22 (permalink)      7/10/2021 12:16:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
philipvdb
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2016
  • Posts 2893
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos4633
+1 details
airwinny wrote:

Just click on it. I agree nothing comes close to Carlin, but Jeselnik is one of the very few who's actually funny and does so in a unique style.

True. Never heard of him before but he is funny

Edited on 7/10/2021 at 12:17 AM. Reason:
We can't agree on everything.
#23 (permalink)      7/10/2021 4:44:41 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4843
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos3015
Wylie's repeated failed attempts at "PWNING" me.
What does he mean when he says words?
#24 (permalink)      7/10/2021 9:05:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
javyn wrote:

Ahhh not gonna click because I just can't get into standup. Aside from old sets from Carlin, Kaufman, and Eddie Murphy, none of the rest of it does anything for me.

Yeah javyn, stay away from Jeselnik. You would probably be offended at yourself for laughing at his shit.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#25 (permalink)      7/10/2021 9:25:30 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
airwinny wrote:

I don't think George Carlin should be used in the same sentence with any other "stand-up" in history. Except perhaps Lenny Bruce. And even then it is a stretch. To be a truly great "comedian", imo, one must make you look at yourself and ask, "Why am I laughing at that because, after all, it is a tragedy".

I will admit that no comedian has ever made me laugh until I thought I would be sick, except Eddie Murphy. But, Eddie was just funny.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#26 (permalink)      7/10/2021 9:58:02 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14434
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20609
vape8ion wrote:

javyn wrote:

Yeah javyn, stay away from Jeselnik. You would probably be offended at yourself for laughing at his shit.

My recommendation was Cum Town dude, I doubt I'd be offended. But I'll check it out then LOL

Edited on 7/10/2021 at 9:58 AM. Reason:
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#27 (permalink)      7/10/2021 10:14:47 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
airwinny
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 8759
  • Reviews 224
  • Kudos31430
vape8ion wrote:

I don't think George Carlin should be used in the same sentence with any other "stand-up" in history. Except perhaps Lenny Bruce. And even then it is a stretch. To be a truly great "comedian", imo, one must make you look at yourself and ask, "Why am I laughing at that because, after all, it is a tragedy".

Bill Hicks was brilliant at that as well.

Also, in fairness, Freek De Jonge is easily in the same league as Carlin. He is the reason why I feel sorry for people who don't speak Dutch. The dude's brilliant, basically invented a form of stand-up that I haven't seen anyone do before him: most of his past shows were two hour long fictional stories that takes you on a journey that's always also a commentary on the tragic state of the world, whilst being crazily funny, thought-provoking, and each show it felt like I actually learnt stuff. He's approaching 80 years old now, still performs. Not the same quality anymore, but still each time a wonderful 2 hours watching it.