We'll be reading Capital Volume One following David Harvey's Companion to Reading Marx's Capital.
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      1/4/2022 1:34:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
TheAtl
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2016
  • Posts 8866
  • Reviews 10
  • Kudos20396
+3 details
We'll be reading Capital Volume One following David Harvey's Companion to Reading Marx's Capital.
Hey friends, my classic "I see you haven't read Marx either" joke backfired in the most wonderful way recently and we have decided to start a small reading group. First up is Marx Capital Volume One. I suggested that we start off aiming to complete two chapters a month, meaning that the first month we'll do the introduction and chapter one, second chapter two and three and so on. First period starting after the second week of January and ending after the second week of February. I'm sure the time frame is open to change if the tempo turns out to be to slow or fast for whomever chooses to participate.

If you want to join us in following David Harvey you can get his companion in book form (ISBN-10: 1788731549) from your retailer of choice or in the form of a free lecture series available in video as well as audio format (homepage, also available on YouTube and most podcast apps). His courses uses the Penguin Classics edition if you need to get a copy of Capital (don't think it matters all that much which edition you use honestly).

This thread will be for questions, discussion, insights... anything related to the books basically.

Hope you'll join us.

Edited on 1/4/2022 at 1:36 AM. Reason:
"My brain is still in recovery mode from taking in so many high level, important ideas" - Dave Rubin
#2 (permalink)      1/10/2022 2:16:59 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14260
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20494
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#3 (permalink)      1/15/2022 12:49:35 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Jo_kk
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2016
  • Posts 47
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos35
+3 details
Imagine spreading your marxist agenda on a chinese electronics vendor website.

Dude get a life.
#4 (permalink)      1/15/2022 9:43:05 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 10816
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11490
Jo_kk wrote:

Dude get a life.

If you told me 20 years ago that the last bastion of public discourse would be a Chinese gadget forum...

Life is funny like that. 😊

Up (censored by PRC) creek with a 8 inch long piece of fecal matter for a paddle
#5 (permalink)      1/22/2022 10:57:27 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7031
  • Reviews 310
  • Kudos3963
ericbnc wrote:

Jo_kk wrote:

Dude get a life.
If you told me 20 years ago that the last bastion of public discourse would be a Chinese gadget forum...

Life is funny like that. 😊

Some people aske me why I keep giving my monies to Chai-nese...I tell them its fasttech mofo, they are special \o/

non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#6 (permalink)      2/3/2022 5:36:10 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
BillBrasky
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedNov 2021
  • Posts 143
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos33
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Personal fights
#7 (permalink)      2/3/2022 7:39:21 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Maxxx17
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedJan 2022
  • Posts 4
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
As I know it, readers from the nineteenth century to the present day have been captivated by the unmistakable power and relevance of this classic of world literature. Marx's critique of the capitalist system is replete with major themes. His theory of surplus value, his discussion of the exploitation of the working class, and his prediction of class conflict on a large scale. Marx wrote with purpose. As he famously put it, "Philosophers used to try to explain the world; our task is to change it. I personally downloaded these works from thenewpiratebay and tried to read them several times. I like to read online so I often use a torrent. But somehow I realized that this edition is not for me. Now I'm looking for something new to download.
#8 (permalink)      2/3/2022 7:41:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21540
+1 details
Imagine a time when reading and discussing a book is thought, by some, to be part of an insidious conspiracy. Oh wait, that time is always with us. People fear what they do not understand. Some folks like to read up on what they do not understand. Others? Well, they just cross themselves, cower in fear and point fingers at the boogieman.
I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#9 (permalink)      2/7/2022 8:23:35 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 10816
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11490
vape8ion wrote:

Imagine a time when reading and discussing a book is thought, by some, to be part of an insidious conspiracy. Oh wait, that time is always with us. People fear what they do not understand. Some folks like to read up on what they do not understand. Others? Well, they just cross themselves, cower in fear and point fingers at the boogieman.

How is the reading going for everyone?

Up (censored by PRC) creek with a 8 inch long piece of fecal matter for a paddle