Dodgy Posts ;-)....
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/7/2022 12:09:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cmj55
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 7365
  • Reviews 122
  • Kudos29024
+3 details
philipvdb wrote:

@vape8ion,
i think you are a lucky guy, doing what you do. I hope your business flourishes.

I couldn't agree more Philip, both goat farming and dog breeding seem to me worthwhile and honourable occupations.

#12 (permalink)      2/7/2022 12:35:01 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
+3 details
philipvdb wrote:

@vape8ion,
I have been thinking about dog breeding. I think I can still support the stress of my present job for a couple of years but I will not die behind my desk. Can you give me an idea of the starting capital needed to start dog breeding? And honestly, i think you are a lucky guy, doing what you do. I hope your business flourishes.

Thank you. I started with about $1500 and got very lucky Because I got premium bloodlines from folks who were more into use and home than money. I think the first step is in determining breed, which will also give you a picture of initial costs for your stock. Another consideration is housing. If outdoor, will you need a kennel? Dog food can be expensive, especially if you have a breed that requires specialized food, as in giant breeds like mine. Be sure to do the research on those requirements.

I did not start out to breed. My initial stock were two female Great Pyrs and a Maremma male to guard the goats. There was community interest in pups from them, so...that led to breeding. I now have my goat herd covered with almost a dozen dogs. I do not break even on a litter, as I have continued in the spirit of placing my pups appropriately, i.e. livestock homes, rather than the money. Also, my feed bill is unusually high and when there are pups it goes even higher.

I'm out.....have some fun. Eh?
#13 (permalink)      2/7/2022 12:36:25 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
+2 details
cmj55 wrote:

philipvdb wrote:
@vape8ion,
i think you are a lucky guy, doing what you do. I hope your business flourishes.
I couldn't agree more Philip, both goat farming and dog breeding seem to me worthwhile and honourable occupations.

Thank you for your sentiments.

#14 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:04:20 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14422
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20599
+1 details
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Personal fights
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#15 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:13:08 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
I think it is called..."Bringing a knife, to a gun fight".
#16 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:31:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 10883
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11507
vape8ion wrote:

I think it is called..."Bringing a knife, to a gun fight".

We're you just pretending to be insulted for being a goat farmer?

Up (censored by PRC) creek with a 8 inch long piece of fecal matter for a paddle
#17 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:35:44 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14422
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20599
+1 details
"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)
#18 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:38:38 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
etcetera
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 3173
  • Reviews 62
  • Kudos3261

Great Pyrs and a Maremma

img source

I have never heard of either breed! So, is that the same as Maremma-Pryenees Mix and are you breeding the mix?

Excerpt from How to Identify a Maremma Sheepdog

-Observe the dog’s behavior. Maremma sheepdogs are brave but not aggressive unless provoked. They demonstrate intelligence, and so can easily learn tricks and commands. Overall, they are a lively and hardy breed with an air of majesty about them.

-If the Maremma does not have a flock to guard, they will gradually become more possessive of their owners, more defensive of their possessions (toys, beds, and so on), and more territorial.

-Maremma sheepdogs are aware of their surroundings, but to the untrained eye, their natural attentiveness might be mistaken for nervousness.

-Generally the Maremma is docile, as they are bred to be so.

-Maremmas need space to run and play.

Great Pyres

-Pyrs are wanderers, a sturdy 6' fence is required so that they cannot dig under or go over.

-Pyrs are not an off leash breed, they must be on a leash when out of their secure yard.

-Pyrs are territorial, they do not always get along with same gender dogs.

-Pyrs are nocturnal and guard by barking, they must be brought inside at night so as to not irritate neighbors.

-Pyrs leave white hair everywhere year round.

-Pyrs should be obedience trained to fully enjoy them. They are very intelligent and easily bored. No training sessions over 15 minutes of active commands.

-Pyrs are a large working breed who do no thrive in apartments or condos, they can become bored and destructive without sufficient outdoor exercise in a secure fenced area.

https://www.greatpyrrescue.org/

Well, it sounds like you've got your hands full vape8ion.

Edited on 2/7/2022 at 1:50 PM. Reason: typos/form
Ko
#19 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:41:57 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
+2 details
Seeing as the order of business seems to be answering a question with a question...what makes you assume I was insulted? That I asked if insult was intended? See, I did seek clarification as you prefaced "goat farmer" with the word "only". In that context, "only" is a deprecatory word and therefor, could imply insult.
#20 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:42:29 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
javyn
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 14422
  • Reviews 55
  • Kudos20599
+1 details
#21 (permalink)      2/7/2022 1:57:36 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vape8ion
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2013
  • Posts 13916
  • Reviews 45
  • Kudos21593
+3 details

Well, it sounds like you've got your hands full vape8ion .

That, my friend, is an understatement. The excerpts you post seem to be from a "pet" perspective. If you research from an LGD perspective, you will find the true nature of these canines. Pet training is for dogs you intend as pets. These dogs have a job, and it is in their 2,000 year old heritage to do it. They do that job without conventional "training". One simply places the pup in an environment with other animals, goats, sheep or whatever, and possibly an adult dog, and they naturally take to the task. My dogs never leave, are not exposed to the "outside world" and a 6-foot fence is only a minor deterrent if they want to run. My place is isolated, and I have only large ranches as neighbors, so the breed is a near perfect fit.