Question on upcoming may 12 fda ban
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      2/14/2020 4:08:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Diesel11
  • JoinedDec 2019
  • Posts 226
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos105
Question on upcoming may 12 fda ban
So I am getting a little confused between all the local state and changes made to flavors and devices in the USA. So far it is just flavored pods correct..and I mean federally.

Also is the may 12 2020 ends ban going into effect still? And does this mean that any device without proper applications will become illegal? Does this mean we have to have all mods that we want bought by that date? I am stocking up on a some nic but not sure if I need to set myself up with anything else.

Thanks in advance
Oh that sound... it's just me stirring the pot
#2 (permalink)      2/14/2020 10:05:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
doomzdavid
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 345
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos111
Tump decided the other day that the FDA shouldn't have anything to do with tobacco. So there will be no need for a PMTA in May. Rump saves vaping again!
#3 (permalink)      2/14/2020 10:56:51 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Molchi
  • JoinedNov 2017
  • Posts 66
  • Reviews 108
  • Kudos35
Taking tobacco control out of the FDA is so far part of Trumps budget request which is just a proposal at the moment. Since the congress is in Democrats hands i would highly doubt that it goes through as it is after seeing how democrats think about vaping. There were some rumors the last days that the FDA may change the rules how to get an PMTA, but nothing concrete yet.

For the question about stocking up on anything else:
In simple terms, every single vape related item from a drip tip to individual e-liquids – every single coil and even vape styled hoodies [yes really] will need to pass through the PMTA process if it wants to remain on sale in the USA.

Edited on 2/14/2020 at 10:59 PM. Reason:
#4 (permalink)      2/15/2020 1:02:45 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7623
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
+1 details
==============================================
IMPORTANT:

Just read about this now and I think it's important...

If you live in the USA, on this coming Thursday 2/27/2020 the House is going to vote on a Federal flavor ban and taxation of vapor products.

Might be a good idea to use the following link to contact your congressmen. It's a really simple process. Take you like 2-5 minutes max.

https://www.votervoice.net/CASAA/Campaigns/68346/Respond

CASAA's email to me says:

This legislation is being supported by an army of Bloomberg-funded anti-harm reduction groups to the tune of $160,000,000.

At the same time, it is likely that a tax bill, HR 4742, which is attempting to enact tax parity between vapor products and combustible cigarettes, will also be taken up by the full House.

So it sounds like this Federal Flavor Ban bill has federal vapor tax baggage built into it. If someone votes for the flavor ban then they automatically vote for a federal vapor tax.

doomzdavid wrote:

Tump decided the other day that the FDA shouldn't have anything to do with tobacco. So there will be no need for a PMTA in May. Rump saves vaping again!

That's not true. Trump merely suggested this. The USA president is not a dictator.

Edited on 2/22/2020 at 10:57 PM. Reason:
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#5 (permalink)      2/15/2020 2:10:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7623
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
+2 details
Diesel11 wrote:

So I am getting a little confused between all the local state and changes made to flavors and devices in the USA. So far it is just flavored pods correct..and I mean federally.

Also is the may 12 2020 ends ban going into effect still? And does this mean that any device without proper applications will become illegal?

At this point the federal govt/FDA is kind of irrelevant because the states are all restricting, banning and/or highly taxing vape anyhow. More and more are jumping on the bandwagon.

Also, at some point nicotine liquid will be taxed at the federal level such that it will cost somewhere around $3,000.00 PER LITER. And if it's not taxed, the sale of it will be restricted to those that have a license to use it for some commercial or industrial application. The govt either wants to heavily tax your nic habit or they want you to not have your nicotine to "save the children". There is no in between.

Diesel11 wrote:

I am stocking up on a some nic but not sure if I need to set myself up with anything else.

You need:
- Nic Vapocalypse Nicotine Calculator
- Regulated mods (mods that take both 21700 & 18650 would be best - no integrated battery mods)
- Mech mods - may be a good idea to have a few.
- RTAs and/or RDAs
- The most vulnerable parts for all above hardware (glass, battery caps for your mods (if available), proprietary o-rings/gaskets, insulators, etc, etc, etc).

Pod systems (the vast majority anyhow) are basically the worst item to stock up on since they largely have non-replaceable batteries and you have to buy a shtload of pods. Some can be rebuilt, however you can only rebuild them so many times. The plastic housing will eventually break or the plastic parts you have to disassemble will eventually not go back together properly due to wear of constant assembling/disassembling. People who buy pods for prepping either have a lot of money/credit to burn so they can buy a shtload of them or they're just idiots.

In my opinion, you shouldn't need to stock up on regular old round wire, VG, PG or flavorings. These things have multiple uses and are all available from non-vape-related sources for non-vape applications and cannot truly be classified/taxed/banned as "tobacco products" unless explicitly labeled & marketed for vaping.

On the other hand if you like to vape using specialty wire that is only marketed as and used for vaping, you either have to stock up on it, make your own or just forget about using it.

Flavorings are debatable, but I don't see how flavorings can be banned since they can be sold as food flavorings or whatever. And, in fact, this is how many flavor companies are approaching it. Some have even changed their names/website domain names and the way they market their flavors. But if you want to stock up on flavors, go ahead.

You have to buy what you know you like AND what has proven to be long-lasting for you. Prepping for vape is the same as prepping for an economic disaster - you prep for life, you prep for freedom BUT you DON'T prep for luxury and convenience unless you have a large or unlimited budget.

Now we have this problem in China so buying everything, even most, from china may not be a good idea at this point. You'll need to seek out the best deals stateside.

Happy vape prepping! Better hop to it.

#6 (permalink)      2/15/2020 3:00:42 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
doomzdavid
  • JoinedMar 2013
  • Posts 345
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos111
vapeluvr wrote:

doomzdavid wrote:

That's not true. Trump merely suggested this. The USA president is not a dictator.

he can do it himself without congress approval. Presidential decree or whatever its called.

#7 (permalink)      2/15/2020 8:51:08 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Diesel11
  • JoinedDec 2019
  • Posts 226
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos105
So in other words I should stock up on devices. I decided that a billet box should get me through. I build my coils and will be able to get parts. All the companies will still be there so I'm sure I can get orings and other stuff like a dna board shipped. Even that African forest site has coil wire for "heating elements" for sale in us and we know we can get cotton.. vg and pg will always be available. So it really comes down to having devices that will last or we can fix and nicotine. At the end of this whole thing you can bet a gallon on nic will be a couple grand instead of 180 bucks.. this whole thing is over the tax anyway. So I am buying a 1.5 gallons of 100mg nic salt which will keep my goose for 1.5 years. I'd things dont get better in a year I'll use that last .5 gallons to taper down and quit.
Oh that sound... it's just me stirring the pot
#8 (permalink)      2/15/2020 10:01:27 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
cjp26
  • JoinedDec 2013
  • Posts 169
  • Reviews 101
  • Kudos96
+1 details
doomzdavid wrote:

All that said was they want to slide the Center for Tobacco Control from under the FDA to be directly under Health & Human Services, along with it's own senate-confirmed agency head - which is still under the direction of the HHS secretary, Azar.

All the same laws, regulations, etc.. would still be in place

#9 (permalink)      2/15/2020 12:13:04 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7623
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
+1 details
Diesel11 wrote:

So in other words I should stock up on devices.

Well yeah, it's pretty much common sense when you think about it. But it isn't as simple as "stock up on devices" IF your goal is to be able to vape until the day you die. WHICH devices you buy and how much nic base you can buy/store will be the determining factor as to how long you'll be able to vape...in a vapocalypse scenario. Nic can be eliminated, though, if you are able/willing to vape 0mg.

Diesel11 wrote:

I am buying a 1.5 gallons of 100mg nic salt which will keep my goose for 1.5 years. I'd things dont get better in a year I'll use that last .5 gallons to taper down and quit.

1.5 gallons of 100mg nic salt will only last you 1.5 years?
Damn, you must vape really high mg and/or vape a lot of juice in a day.

Also, if you're mindset is that you'll just quit vaping, and if you know for a fact you'll prepare to do it before you put yourself in a bad situation where you may be tempted to go back to tobacco, by all means only stock up for 1.5 years worth of vaping.

Good luck. I hope you achieve that goal if/when necessary. Quitting is the best option in any scenario. But if you can kick the nicotine addiction but have a hard time kicking the habit of smoking/vaping, you can always vape 0mg.

#10 (permalink)      2/15/2020 1:32:10 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2293
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1990
vapeluvr wrote:

Diesel11 wrote:
I am buying a 1.5 gallons of 100mg nic salt which will keep my goose for 1.5 years. I'd things dont get better in a year I'll use that last .5 gallons to taper down and quit.

1.5 gallons of 100mg nic salt will only last you 1.5 years?
Damn, you must vape really high mg and/or vape a lot of juice in a day.

That's not either/or, that's BOTH. It's literally over 20ml of 50mg/ml a day, assuming puny little US gallons and not proper Imperial gallons. Or 25 JUUL pods and a bit a day if you mix it to 59mg/ml. We're not in Kansas anymore. We're not even in Oz. We're in the place where you wind up if a tornado pulls you out of Oz, then when you get to wherever that takes you, you're just in time for another dimension-shifting tornado.

#11 (permalink)      2/15/2020 3:58:39 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26109
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20954
+4 details

It is always good to be stocked up... The very basics mechs, drippers, 510 connectors and such... With 510 connectors you can make a device out of a flashlight, power adapter, or just about any power source... The virus running around China should put an exclamation point on not letting the pantry run dry...

Flavors will never be a problem as they are not proprietary to vape...

We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.