shopping cart empty
Question on upcoming may 12 fda ban
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Login to rate this thread.
#91 (permalink)      2/19/2020 9:15:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7622
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
+1 details
Diesel11 wrote:

Really wow small world. I never met anyone either. My dad was one of the first ones. It was defective and spit out a clot. Horrible stroke. So when you have a stroke they take you off the transplant list. They replaced the lvad and sent us home with no support. Once you are considered a failure you get removed from study to keep the numbers right. We lost all the great drs in john Hopkins and we went to local heart drs who had no clue what they were looking at. He pretty much was just left until he went into complete failure. It was a long emotional 3 years where I had to take care of him. He looked like my dad but he was never the same after stroke. Lots of therapy and I went downhill into drugs for awhile. Me and my dad were close.

Holy Shit! That's criminal!

My father also had a stroke because of the LVAD, but it was no big deal, I caught it quickly & he didn't suffer any "residuals". He wasn't on the transplant list yet at that time either. It takes a while to get on a heart or lung transplant list, unless you're a politician.

This year he's 10 years with a heart transplant.

But I know what you mean about local doctors. When he had the LVAD, no one ever knew anything about it. They all heared about them in school, but never dealt with patients who had them. The nurses always wanted to have a listen to his chest when they found out he had an LVAD. No heartbeat - the blood flows through you like water in a hose.

Even today as a heart transplant recipient, local doctors are very timid to treat him. But this far out from transplant, it's not that big a deal as it used to be. Yet they still get nervous.

Edited on 2/19/2020 at 9:16 PM. Reason:
Vaper buys pod system, asks for a 510 adapter. LOL for days
#92 (permalink)      2/19/2020 9:37:02 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Diesel11
  • JoinedDec 2019
  • Posts 226
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos105
Now I find that odd that he had a stroke also. My day was only right before yours I guess. My pops passed like beginning of 09 so I guess he got the lvad in 06. I'm really glad to hear of a good outcome. He had the heartmate 2. He had the stroke in the hospitial too. We were right there. He was talking to my mom and I and his speech just went jumbled. He looked at me dead in the eyes and didnt know who I was. Heartwrenching. I lost it I co.pletly destroyed the waiting room they dragged me to. But they just pushed his case aside after that. He was a 1a on the list.
Oh that sound... it's just me stirring the pot
#93 (permalink)      2/19/2020 9:53:41 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7622
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
My dad had the heartmate 2, too. It's common - 25% LVAD patients get a stroke to some degree (that's what they told us). I was a nervous wreck the whole time he was on the LVAD. To this day, when I hear a beeping noise, even a doorbell, I jump.

He was actually on the transplant list as 1B, but all heart transplant patients get one month on the 1A list and that's when he got a heart. He wasn't on the list for long when he got his heart.

He got the LVAD in Aug 2009, got on the transplant list in April 2010 at 1B. 2 months later they bumped him up to 1A and got a heart weeks after that (about 3-4 weeks) - actually it was the day after his father died, which was very strange and crazy.
#94 (permalink)      2/19/2020 10:00:11 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Diesel11
  • JoinedDec 2019
  • Posts 226
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos105
Wow crazy. It really is very good to hear a story with a happy ending. I know the stress of the dam beeping. I still dont sleep deeply because of it. We even got a service rottie trained to alert us of beeping at night in case we missed it.
#95 (permalink)      2/20/2020 5:13:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26103
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20950
Diesel11 wrote:

My goto is a .8 micro clapton at 20 watts. I pretty much like vaping at 4.0 volts. So that should be similar to same build for a mech right?

That build will ask your battery for about 5amps which is within limits of all sent... It will also become less than satisfactory before the battery reaches it's drain discharge limit...

We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.
#96 (permalink)      2/20/2020 5:35:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Diesel11
  • JoinedDec 2019
  • Posts 226
  • Reviews 1
  • Kudos105
+1 details
Ok thanks vapor.. thanks again. I'm excited to start using a mech. I'm sure once i get it I will be asking lots of questions
#97 (permalink)      2/20/2020 8:31:23 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
EternalSpline
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 5270
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos3822
+1 details
Yes good ask all the questions and be safe!
#98 (permalink)      2/20/2020 10:17:46 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
ericbnc
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 9883
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos11139
+1 details
vapeluvr wrote:

My dad had the heartmate 2, too. It's common - 25% LVAD patients get a stroke to some degree (that's what they told us). I was a nervous wreck the whole time he was on the LVAD. To this day, when I hear a beeping noise, even a doorbell, I jump.

He was actually on the transplant list as 1B, but all heart transplant patients get one month on the 1A list and that's when he got a heart. He wasn't on the list for long when he got his heart.

He got the LVAD in Aug 2009, got on the transplant list in April 2010 at 1B. 2 months later they bumped him up to 1A and got a heart weeks after that (about 3-4 weeks) - actually it was the day after his father died, which was very strange and crazy.

The process of sending fragile red blood cells through a miniature turbine causes damage. A couple get banged up on the trip through, and all of them make the trip every minute. Clotting is minimized by IV heparin but eventually you need to replace those red blood cells. Transfusions every other day or daily even depending on the labs.

It's a delicate balancing act in a clinical setting. Not sure what happens after they go home

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle
#99 (permalink)      2/20/2020 10:52:59 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
vapeluvr
  • JoinedJan 2015
  • Posts 7622
  • Reviews 329
  • Kudos4470
+3 details
ericbnc wrote:

vapeluvr wrote: A couple get banged up on the trip through, and all of them make the trip every minute. Clotting is minimized by IV heparin but eventually you need to replace those red blood cells. Transfusions every other day or daily even depending on the labs.

Yes, he had to take Heparin shots (not IV) for a little while.

As far as transfusions, when you are a transplant candidate, transfusions are only given when absolutely necessary so as to reduce antibodies introduced into your system, which make it harder to find suitable blood for transfusions as well as a donor organ. They would wait until his hemoglobin was at or below 8 before they would order a transfusion.

But he did have his fair share of transfusions. He also had to take other injections to help reduce anemia to help reduce the amount of transfusions he would need.

In fact, even today, he has to get transfusions sometimes due to other medical problems. But it takes a while to match his blood. They have to try to get the "cleanest" blood available. And I don't allow him to get transfusions at the local hospital. I take him to the transplant hospital.

All in all, the heart transplant team managed his situation rather well. But it was a rocky road to travel for a while.

Anyway, enough about this.

#100 (permalink)      2/20/2020 11:35:50 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 11568
  • Reviews 22
  • Kudos17804
+1 details
@VapeLuvr - He's fortunate to have you there to take care of him
To accuse requires less eloquence than to excuse, such is man's nature, it more "resembles" justice
#101 (permalink)      2/21/2020 6:05:31 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26103
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos20950
@Diesel11

Expected Delivery by Saturday 22 February 2020 by 8:00pm

Status In-Transit February 21, 2020 In Transit, Arriving On Time
We’re paying congress millions to do nothing. We’re paying Trump nothing to do everything.