E-Liquid nicotine base colour
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#1 (permalink)      8/6/2020 8:40:53 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
muhmurad
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 29
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
THREAD CLOSED - NO FURTHER REPLIES OR EDITS ALLOWED
E-Liquid nicotine base colour
Hello eveyone

I got a PG nicotine base from HiLiQ, but it’s not totally clear, it has a very light brown colour.
How long does nicotine base still valid to be used?
According to HiLiQ 1 year sealed - 8 months opened
Is that correct ?

Closed by mod Anniepan on 8/10/2020 at 3:49 AM. Reason: Closed, OP requested
#2 (permalink)      8/6/2020 9:33:18 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2652
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1094
The question is little bit strange. If you don't trust storage term specified by vendor, how can you trust nic itself from just the same vendor?
The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#3 (permalink)      8/6/2020 10:00:04 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
muhmurad
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 29
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
pewpew wrote:

The question is little bit strange. If you don't trust storage term specified by vendor, how can you trust nic itself from just the same vendor?

Someone here said that he may still use one bottle of 250ml for 3 years, the HiLiQ said 8 months, so I’ve confused.
I really started to doubt as I saw nicotine base not clear (which is the main question)

#4 (permalink)      8/6/2020 11:04:22 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2652
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1094
muhmurad wrote:

Someone here said that he may

Well, many members here prefers the truths they like and denies everything they don't. Hell, I ever seen Samsung's LiIon storage specification sheet rejected as "corporate manipulation to have people to buy new cells".

muhmurad wrote:

doubt as I saw nicotine base not clear (which is the main question)
not totally clear, it has a very light brown colour

Don't worry about that, nic base shouldn't be totally clear, sounds good to me.
Again, that's based on blind description and personal experience, w/o seeing it and knowing the concentration.

The answer to 1984 is 1973 § Panasonic or Samsung - that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.
#5 (permalink)      8/6/2020 11:10:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Zion21
  • JoinedJul 2013
  • Posts 601
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos168
Nicotine is not clear, if you buy pure nicotine it's almost completely brown and not transparent at all. You're good
#6 (permalink)      8/6/2020 11:47:56 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2652
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1094
Zion21 wrote:

pure nicotine it's almost completely brown and not transparent at all

Well, it depends, decomposition products are of brown tint as well.

Colorless to pale yellow, oily liquid that turns brown on exposure to air or light.

#7 (permalink)      8/6/2020 12:20:40 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Richy7
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2014
  • Posts 6943
  • Reviews 155
  • Kudos10332
+1 details
muhmurad wrote:

Hello eveyoneI got a PG nicotine base from HiLiQ, but it’s not totally clear, it has a very light brown colour.How long does nicotine base still valid to be used?According to HiLiQ 1 year sealed - 8 months openedIs that correct ?

It all depends on how it is stored and how much you trust the vendors batch dates.

Freshly made Nicotine can be good for 3 years or more in the freezer, 1 to 2 years in a fridge.

Nicotine can be light brown but also a light pinkish colour or even almost clear.

A lot depends on how much you trust the vendor and to a certain extent how much you pay for it.

I always buy mine from a vendor who buys direct from a UK manufacturer and pay a little more for peace of mind as they post the batch certificates and analysis by an independant laboratory that relates to the nic they send you.

#8 (permalink)      8/6/2020 1:08:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Overvaper
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2014
  • Posts 173
  • Reviews 210
  • Kudos148
+6 details
I have actually distilled nicotine in a lab, and after doing so it is crystal clear as water. The original sample was brown, but very little residue remained.

Meaning that when pure it will be clear, but even after decades of storage it will still be 99%+ pure, just that the contaminants are very highly coloured, and will make the liquid appear dark even though it is perfectly ok to use (at least for experiments, and certainly vaping).

Some people say it oxidises on storage, but that's incorrect: there isn't enough oxygen in any bottle to oxidise more than a few mgs even if that were possible at room temperature. More likely the brown colour comes from degradation by UV light, to form the minute quantities of highly coloured polymeric impurities (which won't evaporate when vaping in any case).

So ignore any 'shelf life' or 'use by' dates: they have no scientific basis.
#9 (permalink)      8/6/2020 2:16:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
pewpew
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2015
  • Posts 2652
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos1094
Overvaper wrote:

Some people say it oxidises on storage, but that's incorrect: there isn't enough oxygen in any bottle

Why pharmas are bothering to seal the bottles anaerobically then?

That's "convenient truth" I was talking about earlier, heh.

#10 (permalink)      8/6/2020 3:28:49 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
muhmurad
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2017
  • Posts 29
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos5
Overvaper wrote:

I have actually distilled nicotine in a lab, and after doing so it is crystal clear as water. The original sample was brown, but very little residue remained.

Meaning that when pure it will be clear, but even after decades of storage it will still be 99%+ pure, just that the contaminants are very highly coloured, and will make the liquid appear dark even though it is perfectly ok to use (at least for experiments, and certainly vaping).

Some people say it oxidises on storage, but that's incorrect: there isn't enough oxygen in any bottle to oxidise more than a few mgs even if that were possible at room temperature. More likely the brown colour comes from degradation by UV light, to form the minute quantities of highly coloured polymeric impurities (which won't evaporate when vaping in any case).

Thank for explaining, that what I’ve thought about. I don’t believe in shelf life base for anything.
As I won’t order nicotine base every day, and it will be used for a while with all my batches, then I expect to get a reliable nicotine.
In addition, they didn’t demonstrate expiry date. Production date indicates that they have produced it recently, but with a colour like that, I don’t think so.
So there are many DIY experts here, therefore I asked.

#11 (permalink)      8/6/2020 3:40:47 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
piers
Verified
  • JoinedJun 2015
  • Posts 144
  • Reviews 3
  • Kudos78
+1 details
Freebase should allways be clear. I've had it stored in my freezer since the great nicotine panic of 2017 and it's still flavourless and clear.

Can't say the same for the newer bottles of 72mg nicotine salt I've bought but I've allways been told the salicylic or benzoate added causes this.