Mod electronics question
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.
Thread Tools


Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#11 (permalink)      2/21/2021 10:50:33 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

Wylie wrote:I'm not sure about lately but Yihi used to have a second circuit board almost the size of a regular chip set for ecigs just to handle the balanced charging and battery monitoring.Unfortunately, up until the Q-Mini and the G-Class, balanced charging on Yihi's SX boards was atrocious. It just wasn't balanced at all, despite the claims in their specs.


And their TC still needs work from what I've gathered. I tossed my hands up with Yihi about the SX350J. I don't like flutterbies in my TC!

Always keep your ear to the ground!
#12 (permalink)      2/21/2021 11:20:09 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2706
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos2178
Wylie wrote:

And their TC still needs work from what I've gathered. I tossed my hands up with Yihi about the SX350J. I don't like flutterbies in my TC!


Unfortunately, as I've never used TC, I have to rely on what others tell me about that area of their boards.

As I understand it, they improved as they refined their chip-sets, but it's still not as accurate as Evolv, because they do it slightly differently. And yes, some people can tell the difference.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#13 (permalink)      2/21/2021 11:56:39 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
analogueman wrote:

Wylie wrote:
And their TC still needs work from what I've gathered. I tossed my hands up with Yihi about the SX350J. I don't like flutterbies in my TC!
Unfortunately, as I've never used TC, I have to rely on what others tell me about that area of their boards.

As I understand it, they improved as they refined their chip-sets, but it's still not as accurate as Evolv, because they do it slightly differently. And yes, some people can tell the difference.



My best explanation of the flutterbies is an fluctuating PWM signal which is basically the way Yihis TC works. The 550j was supposed to be an improvement but it isn't Replay!

Always keep your ear to the ground!
#14 (permalink)      2/21/2021 8:20:43 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2706
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos2178
Wylie wrote:

My best explanation of the flutterbies is an fluctuating PWM signal which is basically the way Yihis TC works. The 550j was supposed to be an improvement but it isn't Replay!


Yes indeed. I think both PBusardo and DJLsb showed the signal when they reviewed the various mods at the time of release. I believe it's quite a tight signal, but some are still sensitive to it.

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#15 (permalink)      2/21/2021 11:43:12 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
essellar
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2016
  • Posts 2311
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos2029
+1 details
The best they've done is approximately equivalent to an airplane's "stick shaker" stall warning for overtemp. It's great for TC as dry hit protection; lousy for vaping at a set temperature. Their latest and greatest can best be described as "fizzy" (where the old boards had a much slower on/off cycle that felt like someone was screwing with the power). Even JoyeLeafWiz did TC better (provided you stuck to Ni200 and Ti). If your idea of TC is "set the mod to the power (or joules per second in YiHi parlance - you're not actually controlling the total energy) you like and set the temperature to hotter than you want", then YiHi has you well covered. If you're planning to use the temperature setting to control your vape when things are going as planned, then... no. Just no. There are many better options out there even if you have an Evolv allergy.
#16 (permalink)      2/22/2021 3:13:44 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
+1 details
essellar wrote:

There are many better options out there even if you have an Evolv allergy.


Nope, cats yes, Evolv no, actually preferential.

When I drink a soda fizzy is good, not when I vape. I had to go refresh my memory, yep, looks like they upped their cyclical rate.

I just realized my dislike of these cyclical rates could be related to being shocked electrically. It hertz! And you can feel every one of them! Single phase 120 is like candy compared to 277/480 3 phase!

Always keep your ear to the ground!
#17 (permalink)      2/22/2021 3:35:48 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2706
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos2178
Wylie wrote:

When I drink a soda fizzy is good, not when I vape. I had to go refresh my memory, yep, looks like they upped their cyclical rate.

I just realized my dislike of these cyclical rates could be related to being shocked electrically. It hertz! And you can feel every one of them! Single phase 120 is like candy compared to 277/480 3 phase!


Electrifying!! :-D

It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#18 (permalink)      2/22/2021 3:57:14 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
analogueman wrote:

Wylie wrote:
When I drink a soda fizzy is good, not when I vape. I had to go refresh my memory, yep, looks like they upped their cyclical rate.

I just realized my dislike of these cyclical rates could be related to being shocked electrically. It hertz! And you can feel every one of them! Single phase 120 is like candy compared to 277/480 3 phase!
Electrifying!! :-D


Shockingly so!

Always keep your ear to the ground!
#19 (permalink)      2/22/2021 9:06:25 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Johnyorgen
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedAug 2020
  • Posts 13
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam
#20 (permalink)      2/22/2021 9:09:29 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Johnyorgen
Forum Restricted
  • JoinedAug 2020
  • Posts 13
  • Reviews 0
  • Kudos3
Post deleted by mod (Anniepan) on grounds of: Spam
#21 (permalink)      2/22/2021 9:51:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Avatar
Wylie
Verified
  • JoinedMay 2013
  • Posts 5968
  • Reviews 78
  • Kudos3873
Always keep your ear to the ground!