Troepfler wrote:

RussG wrote:
Hey guys & gals not posted for a while. Nice to see the FT forum is still going on strong, SMPL's were my go to for several years,V6 orchid,wotofo Conqueror,Stillare Storm,Apo,Doge.
Q? Just dug out my Noisy Cricket,thought I would pair up again with my Thunderhead Creations Proto for a blast but serious oxidation on the threads.
Any tips for cleaning Alu?
Still no 21700 SMPL ?

I have the same issue with my Alu Nemi Mods.
When I use a Alu Nemi daily, the problem decreases.

There are chemical solutions, how to remove alu oxidation,
but they do not even write, is their product for pure alu or eloxal alu?
CC wrote, ultrasonic will not remove oxidation,
I think, perhaps after a kerosene treatment, ultrasonic will work.

My next steps for alu will be:
#1 soak it in kerosene
#2 toothbrush
#3 apply graphit or mos2 penetrating oil
# 4 test the thread, if not OK start with #1 again

Yes, I am also waiting for a 21700 SMPL,
that would be lots of fun,
and they would sell lots of 21700 SMPLs.

Troepfler wrote:

RussG wrote:
Hey guys & gals not posted for a while. Nice to see the FT forum is still going on strong, SMPL's were my go to for several years,V6 orchid,wotofo Conqueror,Stillare Storm,Apo,Doge.
Q? Just dug out my Noisy Cricket,thought I would pair up again with my Thunderhead Creations Proto for a blast but serious oxidation on the threads.
Any tips for cleaning Alu?
Still no 21700 SMPL ?

I have the same issue with my Alu Nemi Mods.
When I use a Alu Nemi daily, the problem decreases.

There are chemical solutions, how to remove alu oxidation,
but they do not even write, is their product for pure alu or eloxal alu?
CC wrote, ultrasonic will not remove oxidation,
I think, perhaps after a kerosene treatment, ultrasonic will work.

My next steps for alu will be:
#1 soak it in kerosene
#2 toothbrush
#3 apply graphit or mos2 penetrating oil
# 4 test the thread, if not OK start with #1 again

Yes, I am also waiting for a 21700 SMPL,
that would be lots of fun,
and they would sell lots of 21700 SMPLs.

If scrubbing using a brush and kerosene doesn't remove oxidisation why do you believe that an ultrasonic will then mysteriously work? An ultrasonic will remove built up dirt but oxidisation isn't dirt - it is rust.

The reason your rotating brush and isopropyl method took 30 minutes is you were simply using a solution that isn't suitable for removing oxidisation - it was the brush doing the work NOT the isopropyl. Isopropyl is great for degreasing and general cleaning and sterilisation, but not for removing rust.

It seems you are looking for alternative methods of cleaning, which is great - but have you actually tried cleaning metal with metal polish so you have a baseline to compare how much time and effort each method takes to get the job done?