Is the "Golden Age" of vaping over ??
Login to post a new topic and to write a reply.

Search within thread:

Rate This Thread
Login to rate this thread.
#91 (permalink)      12/5/2021 6:29:07 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
martinc
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2015
  • Posts 7020
  • Reviews 309
  • Kudos3959
+1 details
analogueman wrote:

As for the original question - a 'golden age' - I do have one, but it's going to be very subjective to my own experiences. For me, that period between early-2013 and early-2014 was the 'golden age' of vaping, for several reasons. When it comes to kit, tech was evolving with regulated devices slowly shifting from volts to watts, though tube mods (now called Mechs) were still king. Gennys still ruled the roost, with early RTAs starting to move away from silica to cotton (wool balls). And people were drilling out top caps for increased airflow, kicking off the concept of 'cloud chucking and DL vaping. Another area that period could be considered a 'golden age' was that the push in vaping was more concerted in getting existing smokers to switch. It was said at the time (certainly here in the UK) that vaping would only sustain it's evolution and efficacy if smokers continued to be pushed towards this harm reduction alternative. I certainly felt that drive back then. Unfortunately, in the years since, as vaping changed to become a 'hobby' for many, that ardent well-meaning drive to convert smokers appears to have dwindled somewhat. So in summary, for me the 'golden age' was about eight to nine years ago, when the kit was evolving, Vapers were learning, and smoking was being assaulted by an effective reduced risk alternative. How different it is today...

When we transited from silica cords to cotton wick...oh my...the revelation..that was the golden age for me

Juices that tasted great with silica was totally repulsive with cotton and stuff that was repulsive with silica was addictive with cotton....that was mind boggling

Edited on 12/5/2021 at 6:32 PM. Reason:
non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
#92 (permalink)      12/6/2021 5:59:16 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
New2vape
Verified
  • JoinedFeb 2014
  • Posts 988
  • Reviews 44
  • Kudos1310
Still.Me wrote:
[quote]Picked up another QP Juggerknot MR + extra glass, screws, o-rings, etc.

But my partner whom only vapes one retail e-juice here in Canada by Jughead, Swedish Pastry has gone AWOL since Oct 12th.

He has never found another flavour he loved like that one. If he does, I will put mine down as well.

Wow Jughead...a blast from my past
Man some of you are crazy motherfkers
#93 (permalink)      12/6/2021 6:37:49 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Still.Me
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2018
  • Posts 12709
  • Reviews 24
  • Kudos19300
New2vape wrote:

Wow Jughead...a blast from my past

Not positive but believe he started making e-juice as early as 2012?

Unfortunately the juice my partner vapes is the one that no one seems to have been able to clone. I have tried several DIY that were highly recommended but were different beasts all together.

I myself prefer far less flavour and cant vape that e-juice for long. 1 vape here and there but thats all. Too much flavour. But I cant recreate it.

The partner has about 7 -10 days left before he runs out. I knew this point would come and never wanted to have to rely on someone else, let alone one recipe only, in order to happily vape.

But yes, Jughead was in there early, far sooner than most.

#94 (permalink)      12/6/2021 8:40:32 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
analogueman
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2013
  • Posts 2648
  • Reviews 5
  • Kudos2116
martinc wrote:

Juices that tasted great with silica was totally repulsive with cotton and stuff that was repulsive with silica was addictive with cotton....that was mind boggling

Indeed, one can also say similar for the way various juices tasted with a cotton wick in comparison to the mesh wicks on older Genny set-ups. Some e-liquids just tasted so much 'cleaner' on that mesh for some reason. :-)

Edited on 12/6/2021 at 8:43 AM. Reason:
It's twelve inches long, but don't use it as a rule...
#95 (permalink)      12/11/2021 12:42:37 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Vapor
Verified
  • JoinedApr 2013
  • Posts 26248
  • Reviews 153
  • Kudos21038
+1 details
The amended PACK act severely hampered the money train and the industry as a whole. The wild west of pop up vape business is certainly behind us.
It is time we stop accepting the things we cannot change, and start changing the things we cannot accept...
#96 (permalink)      12/16/2021 9:24:40 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
OneBadwolf
Verified
  • JoinedJul 2015
  • Posts 4165
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos4419
+3 details
analogueman wrote:

So in summary, for me the 'golden age' was about eight to nine years ago, when the kit was evolving, Vapers were learning, and smoking was being assaulted by an effective reduced risk alternative. How different it is today...

I remember the dark ages. I made coils out of aircraft safety wire, pure 304 and 316 alloy wire, when nobody vaped on stainless. I was asked to leave a vape shop once,for vaping my "cancer metal coils".

I pretty much ran out of friends who smoked to convert. Some, who lingered on smoking a while before fully transitioning, I worry might go back to the stinkies, because of all the stupid rules. That would suck. However, I remember CE4s, and they were wretched. I'd still be smoking if that was all there was.

Thank God that the gear has gotten this good. I remember stupid prices for dual batt Sigelli 70 watt mods, that were less than half as efficient as what's out today, and died in 6 months. I have mods getting on 6 years old, that still function perfectly, better than new even, due to custom firmware.Many of the advances were overdue, but there are still improvements and new designs, just at a slower rate. And lets not forget that while there was a large amount of new gear, most of it was crap. We have learned lessons, the technology, from the batterys to the machining has improved, costs have come down.

I remember very similar discussions about the evolution of electric vehicles. Nothing more to be done. That was not true at all. We did nothing with the electric motor for over 100 years, now,in the last 10, computers and superior battery chemistry are re discovering electric motors. Algos smart enough to start a DC motor from a dead stop,without hall sensors, with full torque available, in the intended direction, and run it at nearly double the maximum RPM previously possible,with efficiency's that were unheard of 10 years ago due to the incorporation of field weakening and sinusoidal control,PWM, ferrofluid cooling,all stuff we should have been doing years ago.

Another few years, we'll purchase a file here, download it, load it into our computer, and print off a steel atty. No shipping, no container ships, no waiting
a month. Not to mention the possibilities offered by new materials. We've been very lazy regarding electric motors, and ignored the possibilities of computer driven power converters, controllers etc. for a very long time.Vaping, helped us to catch up.

Hopefully, e-cigs will never see the majority of those marvels. Because by then, there won't be any smokers to sell them to. Whatever gets them off the stinkys.

Piffle-Poofer-Producing-pathetic-puny-plastic-pretty-Pez Pods? Why not. Whatever works.There is a wide variety of decent gear designed and produced,now that didn't exist when I started vaping. It's good we tried different things,not only did we learn a bunch,but we've provided a few new options. We don't need to keep starting small fires to ignite some bundles of dried out leaves, and 30,000 carcinogens wrapped in paper. We know better now. Who knows, perhaps it will be the Kanger Sub Ohm Mini that becomes the fad that wipes out the last smoker on the planet. Obviously, I would hope it to be very unlikely. For their sake.Those Kangers sucked.

Vi veri universum vivus vici. Insictus oportet nocere Proud member of the Sea Parks Fire Department
#97 (permalink)      12/16/2021 8:20:55 PM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Bradley77
Verified
  • JoinedNov 2019
  • Posts 341
  • Reviews 41
  • Kudos240
blackhack wrote:

There's very little new these days unless you're into pods, billet box derivatives, or even worse the dreaded disposables.There's even disposable tanks FFS ??Where's the new stuff, the innovations ??I faithfully peruse the "New" section of the website on an almost daily basis and there's nothing there for me...It's just not here, most of the Chinese sites are just the same....A desert of good quality fairly priced vape gear.Is it all over for all us old hands ??

its all about high end these days if your looking for new products with innovation. if you want innovation/good products you have to be prepared to pay for it as all the main stream companies are coming out with the same cheap crap just in 10 different colours

THIS IS ENGLAND!!!
#98 (permalink)      12/18/2021 3:30:06 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Macro
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 231
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos99
Bradley77 wrote:

blackhack wrote:
There's very little new these days unless you're into pods, billet box derivatives, or even worse the dreaded disposables.There's even disposable tanks FFS ??Where's the new stuff, the innovations ??I faithfully peruse the "New" section of the website on an almost daily basis and there's nothing there for me...It's just not here, most of the Chinese sites are just the same....A desert of good quality fairly priced vape gear.Is it all over for all us old hands ??

its all about high end these days if your looking for new products with innovation. if you want innovation/good products you have to be prepared to pay for it as all the main stream companies are coming out with the same cheap crap just in 10 different colours

it goes in circles

some of us that have been vaping since 2009 or earlier remember when "high end" was about the same as it is now

it'll go around once more and the Chinese companies will go back to how it was in 2014/2015ish and made more rebuildable and such

i still have one of GG's second hand made batch before he started outsourcing his machining and that mod cost $300 or so back in 2011 or something ( PS worst mod i ever bought lol nothing worked right with it ) so not that much more than what a basic billet box would set you back now

what we do have now is stuff that for the most part just works when you get it, some of the stuff i ordered from here in the early days you have no idea if it would actually work or not when you got it

i appreciate the fact that now you can order something, fill it up or put a coil in and vape

Edited on 12/18/2021 at 3:32 AM. Reason:
#99 (permalink)      12/18/2021 4:11:52 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Crispycritters
Verified
  • JoinedOct 2020
  • Posts 697
  • Reviews 9
  • Kudos613
There are loads of people on here that manage to forget that back in the 'Golden Age' the majority of stuff was absolute shite. The reason for constant innovation because vape gear was so fucking awful.

Today there are countless shit pod systems, but they work - and you don't have to suck arse on a facebook group and pay through the nosde to get one.

Take off the rose tinted spectacles guys, the 'Golden Age' is a total fantasy. And the era you are fantasising about was shit.
#100 (permalink)      12/18/2021 4:52:03 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
carrion4worm
Verified
  • JoinedAug 2017
  • Posts 4713
  • Reviews 282
  • Kudos2843
I haven't heard a single person say they consider the first few years of vape gear as a "golden age"....But...

...Those of us who dipped into the boutique/ artisan/"high end" world early on, and vaped specific styles have not suffered, ever. Gear has improved, yes, but I've never owned a gas station vape, only because I was introduced to the "other" side of vaping first, which I will explain...

Those who bought gas station vapes/ early Chinese clearomizers, etc most definitely have suffered. Bless 'em. They were noobs, and were unaware of an already bustling underground vape scene. That, they discovered AFTER they got their first, most likely crappy, Ego/clearo/whatever. I'm thankful they stuck it out, the hallmark of a successful Cigarette quitter!

But, before the hate comes pouring in, consider my example, mech squonks and rdas...the only real difference is silicone bottles over plastic squonk bottles very early on, and recently 21700s have lengthened vape time, but not changed the experience. Everything is just as it has always been, in that particular case.

I would have used an obvious example, mech tubes and rdas, but honestly, mech tubes have really advanced in terms of conductivity, comfortability, and safety over Caravelas, Stingrays and Simples. Authentic, sub 75.00 tubes are plentiful and have much better buttons and connections than their older brethren. There are ALWAYS exceptions, and exceptional, devices that surpass expectations and move the industry forward....true "pioneers".

So, it depends more on what you consider vaping. If you love squonks, there are plenty of early 18650 boxes, complete with the simple "L" shaped contact and hollowed out 510. Now, squonking isn't the oldest form of vaping, sure, but none of us were exactly the "pioneers" we'd like to think we are. The term "Golden Age" has not even been clearly defined, so of course it will mean different things to different people.

For me, it was right around the release of the "color" series of Evolv chips (DNA 75C), which just so happened to coincide with the "Boom" of squonking, and independent modders....much like what we are seeing now with Boro-style mods.

I DO like being ahead of the curve, however. LOL.

As much as some use "rose tinted" glasses, others use "shit goggles", for protection while they shit on everyone else. Both are equally delusional.
What does he mean when he says words?
#101 (permalink)      12/18/2021 8:18:24 AM US Central   quote/reply + tips
Macro
Verified
  • JoinedSep 2014
  • Posts 231
  • Reviews 8
  • Kudos99
+2 details
carrion4worm wrote:

I haven't heard a single person say they consider the first few years of vape gear as a "golden age"....But...

As much as some use "rose tinted" glasses, others use "shit goggles", for protection while they shit on everyone else. Both are equally delusional.

i don't have much rose tinted glasses for Joye 510/901 cig a likes and PCC cases

the vape we get now is light years a head with what some people quit with back then but hey we didn't know any better or what was to come